Votes: 6 13.3%
  • 40%

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 50%

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Above 50%

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters
To me the Holy Grail is the be all and end all. It must be a guitar that almost never disappoints. It doesn’t matter if it’s the only one made or if there are hundreds of models from the same batch. Each guitar is unique. The Holy Grail must be a Unicorn. For if we obtain the Holy Grail guitar the journey ends. No more searching. No more buying. No more NGD announcements. Therefore, I must say 0%.

Until i actually touch, feel and play a PS or Core, i'm at 90%. I know there is always something better out there, but where i am at physically and financially, those are mythical beasts. Its like finding a Unicorn on a deserted island, or a beautiful yet tame redhead in a dragons cave.

Someday:oops:

I am no grail expert, but Indiana Jones tells me that once you have the grail you never leave the cave/house that holds it again. You spend the rest of time alone protecting it. I think the pursuit of the grail is where the real living is, not in actually finding it.
Must get more guitars!

.......I think the pursuit of the grail is where the real living is, not in actually finding it.
Must get more guitars!

^ This. The hunt!

We each have our own objectives, but few things float my boat like finding that unique, crazy, one in a million book matched billet. Example:

Last edited:
^ This. The hunt!

We each have our own objectives, but few things float my boat like finding that unique, crazy, one in a million book matched billet.

Great one!

You know, the "holy grail" thing can be funny sometimes; because sometimes we attain that guitar and the spark just isn't there. It's happened to me a couple times. But you can also find "the one" (or, realistically one of several) when you were never expecting it.

I do have my 408 now, which was—prior to owning it—my only intended PRS that I thought I'd want/need. And it's grail-worthy for sure. But then I picked up an MC-58 McCarty model with 57/08's and it's like, "Whoa! Holy crap! THIS is it!" and magically now my LP—which itself was a holy-grail—feels like a cheap toy by comparison. Funny how these things happen.

Yeah, tough question. Hit rate almost implies lifetime of buying guitars. Even taking just current guitars that I would consider Holy Grails, times and tastes change. Before I could afford more than one or two electrics, I always only bought what I thought was the perfect guitar at the time. As time moved on, I would look for the next perfect guitar and trade the previous perfect guitar!

When I could afford to have more than one or two, and after inheriting my dad's collection, I felt more able to experiment. Gigging Me, twenty years ago, never would have bought the SE One I got a couple weeks ago, but now, I'm really glad I did. Holy Grail? No, but so much fun!

So, FOR NOW, I have four guitars that I cannot imagine selling. Two for sentimental reasons (one of which for tone and playability as well--the Brunner), and two for overall tone, playability, looks, and enjoyment.

1960 Fender Jazzmaster (my dad's Holy Grail)
AOnaCoSiszZH2HRdr6JZzCSztta4RlModNtAZKobqIHzlQPMkQBtdZ24IoKKrfbaCD0=s0-d-e1-ft

2018 Brunner acoustic (Custom build tribute to my dad)
hUI2HNTs0gWCoffVA_veRqULA0yHYNDkT2SygvAJ53P1MT8eRCVdTDs3rd3iFsPT2Ts=s0-d-e1-ft

2013 PRS SC HB II
S0PwsG03azHswIVIfw0chMrMLtjRiczB8E_uNqlbXKaOi9RMH5HLdZ3Qr9Z9qz3Vgm8=s0-d-e1-ft

2008 PRS 513
tq94-6HDdGEueV-JTrXLK3S6GkaVF8c1L9q-WT2XNMOPPywVB7f0wazeNOPnphbki-Y=s0-d-e1-ft

Another close to Holy Grail is a 2006 Anniversary Strat that sounds better than any Strat I've ever played. Unfortunately, it is a definite second fiddle to the 513.
GZ7VVgXf3fMirF2Rmq_DVJ1pL-W114JusVk6ll9iTNw0JSKoj08CBJOxVgdnZ82E24M=s0-d-e1-ft

That's a helluva lineup! Awesome.

I own 3 electrics and one acoustic.

Among the electrics, my 594 gets the most attention because it's just fun and sounds great (after MUCH setup tweaking to get it just right for me). But I reckon another 594 could give me a similar impression, so not sure that's holy grail territory. Or maybe it is?!

My Alembic is probably more like a holy grail. But this is mostly down to the fact that the same guitar bought new today, exact same spec, would run something like 5x what I paid for mine (which i purchased new/built for me).

At the original price it is tremendous, but not at 5x that price.So I'm fortunate to have it.

My other electric is a Strat. Lovely guitar, and sentimental to me, but nothing too far out of the ordinary.

My only acoustic is a Lowden. It's an awesome guitar, though very understated visually. I've not had an itch for another acoustic since I purchased it.

Grail...I guess I’ll quantify this with a guitar that has the ability to inspire me to create. A guitar that has a magical quality that gives me a certain feeling when I play it. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a one off guitar with crazy specs or looks, just one with intangible qualities that give me that “oh yeah” feeling. Quite frankly, I stop paying attention to the looks once I’m playing and it’s only the function of the guitar and the feeling it gives me when I play it. If you can add great looks that make you weak in the knees, great.

I spec’d my PS out to be all those things obviously. It hits all the marks for me. Yet I can can love my beat up black McCarty standard just the same. I like that it’s kinda worn and well used. It was like that before I got it. It’s hard to put a percentage on it for me. If I keep a guitar for any length of time, I prefer not to get rid of it unless I absolutely have to.

It’s one of those things that makes me appreciate being alive (consciousness) , that you’re there to experience it. The thing with guitars and musical instruments too, is that it’s a multi-sensory experience with sound, touch and sight. As opposed to say a scenic view, which is a perfectly good thing!
Don't forget smells! mmmm ... nitro

Back