What’s your favourite control layout?

cjlloyd

Modern seagull
What’s your favourite switching configuration and why? Standard McCarty? 5-way blade? 408/509? Are there any pickup combinations you don’t normally get but would like to have?

And what kind of layout do you prefer? How many pots? Where do you like the switch to be?

It should be interesting to hear the different things people gravitate towards…

McCarty (reg. Vol & Tone + 3-way toggle) and 5-way Custom.

I also do really appreciate the "08" switching (as found on the 408, Paul's Guitar, 24-08, etc.) because it really does give you access to everything. However, it's not as fast getting to your favorites sometimes, so it feels a little bit slower or more deliberate. I do like how the 5-way switch will just get you to those couple "in between" settings lightning quick. Haven't used the 5-way rotary yet, but... I imagine it's slightly less confidence-instilling than the switch.

Out of all of mine, I have the 408 Switching, McCarty Switching, 5-Blade, and the 35th Anniversary Custom 24, HBII and P24.

I like all of them for different reasons and can't really pick a favorite. I suppose context is everything...for instance, performing live, the McCarty switching and 35th Ann. switching work best moooooost of the time. However, I still have tunes where a 5-way blade is just better functionally. Practicing at home, where quick on-the-fly switching isn't necessarily as important as in a live performance, I enjoy the 24-08 setup quite a bit. I used to have an issue with having to "jump" the trem arm to get to the 5-way blade switch on my Custom 24, but I've been able to overcome that and it's no longer an issue for me.

Aesthetically speaking, I like the look of all of them.

McCarty switching seems popular. It does give a good variety of sounds. One thing I sometimes notice is that, because of how the controls are spaced out, if you've got a trem bar there's almost nowhere to leave it that doesn't put it in the way of at least one of the controls. It's not a big deal but I do sometimes find myself whacking the trem bar when I reach for the switch without looking...

The 08 switching and the 4 knob w/ push-pull. But I guess if I could only have one, it'd be the 4 knob w/ push-pull.

I never need to turn down neck tone, and so 3x knobs like a Bernie would be my ideal, but with mini toggles for splits - not a fan off the pull up on PRS knobs

H/H guitars it’s McCarty for simplicity. Any 3 pickup guitar I like Strat style 5 way and V/T/T.

Favorite: 594 controls
Second favorite: 408-style with 3 way toggle and mini switches. Like old-style McCarty switching but better.

I really like to switch from a wide-open bridge pickup to a rolled-back neck pickup, sometimes with the neck pickup switched to single-coil mode. Can't do that with most control setups. Gotta have an amp (or sim) that responds well to the controls on the guitar though!

Back