What’s your cheapest guitar?

I put “Japanese” in quotes because that’s what everyone called anything from Asia that was low quality. Mine was bought in 1982 and it was total particle board crap. Once I put the studs in for the Floyd, the wood started chipping out and the bridge moved. Oh, the lessons learned...

Ah ok, not the MIJ Strat I was thinking of.

I put “Japanese” in quotes because that’s what everyone called anything from Asia that was low quality. Mine was bought in 1982 and it was total particle board crap. Once I put the studs in for the Floyd, the wood started chipping out and the bridge moved. Oh, the lessons learned...
Can't help but feel that's a bit unfair on the Japanese. Some of the 70s stuff was of questionable quality, but by the 80s they were producing some really fantastic guitars. Lots of models using Brazilian rosewood and Honduran mahogany. A lot of the stuff from that era is commanding very high prices now. I have a 1980 built '59 335 copy that sells for nearly $3000 these days.

Can't help but feel that's a bit unfair on the Japanese. Some of the 70s stuff was of questionable quality, but by the 80s they were producing some really fantastic guitars. Lots of models using Brazilian rosewood and Honduran mahogany. A lot of the stuff from that era is commanding very high prices now. I have a 1980 built '59 335 copy that sells for nearly $3000 these days.

I may be mis-quoting. But I believe that the F company went to Japan to see how they were making a certain double cutaway guitar so well, during that era. It may have been the Fuji-Gen factory.

I’ll admit there are some cheap guitars amidst the clutter of stuff in my man cave and other places.

I keep a Squire Affinity Telecaster ($200) behind the seat in my pickup truck, just in case (bag actually).
Then I also have a cheap brown yucky lookin’ Ibanez archtop hollowbody I grabbed in Denver a couple years ago ($300?) when I couldn’t hear my solid body well enough in a noisy hotel room.

Lessee, there’s a Korean Squire Strat a friend laid on me. Possibly plywood (I’ll save the neck off it for a future partsocaster).

Got a six-string banjo that didn’t cost much either, as well as a Squire Bass that was less than $200.

I should give them away but it might be a cold winter and I don’t have any firewood.

'77 Strat. $500 when new, $2086.51 in today's dollar.
(garbage guitar, actually).

Last edited:
I had a $99 Squier Vintage Modified '51 from 2007. I sold it a year ago for $180. It was a great cheapo. But, my current embarrassment is this Mitchell MD400. I paid $319 new. I am happy to beat the hell out of it, yet, it plays amazingly well.

sGRHLXU.jpg

An American made Strat that is 20 years old and battle worn....On the PRS side, my most recent PRS S2 Studio is the most inexpensive guitar.

My cheapest guitar here on video. Yes it is this actual one that John is playing (I got it from him).

John is right about the sustain. It sustains much longer than any of my other guitars.

I had a $99 Squier Vintage Modified '51 from 2007. I sold it a year ago for $180. It was a great cheapo. But, my current embarrassment is this Mitchell MD400. I paid $319 new. I am happy to beat the hell out of it, yet, it plays amazingly well.

sGRHLXU.jpg

I've been impressed with the quality of the Mitchell models I have played at my local GC. Their acoustic guitars especially play and sound really good.

Back