What’s a Custom 22 like?

Atticus808

I’ve watched videos about it, but I wanna know from you guys what it’s like? Never had the opportunity to actually hold or play one

What I have:
2001 MIM strat. I plays better than MOST strats I’ve played since).

Silver Sky that I recently got. Ever since I got one, I think it has ruined all other strat style guitars for me. No other neck has come close. I guess the closest was a used custom shop strat for $1000 more, and it ALMOST felt just as good.

I’ve tried les Paul’s, 335’s, but nothing feels good to me anymore after playing a Silver Sky.

But what’s a custom 22/24 like? How does it feel? How’s the craftsmanship compared to a Silver Sky? What kind of music do you play with it? What’s it like picking up a Custom 22/24 after playing a strat or silver sky?

Looking to buy a Taylor 814 next, but then looking to buy another electric after that and I’ve been curious about this.

Last edited:
The Custom 22 was the guitar that changed everything for me. Going from 25.5 scale super strats, the CU22 was a Godsend. It feels really slinky, and while I HATE the term "buttery" it is the best way to describe the feel. The overall tone is versatile and comprehensive to many styles. In all, I'd have to say any variant of the CU22 is my guitar.

My Custom 22 is pretty light in weight (6.8 lbs., lighter I think than either of my Strats) so it seems to have a comfortably small "presence," if you will. The Pattern neck (unique to the 22 in this case; the CU 24 will be Pattern Thin) is not super narrow but also not too wide, just about right. Playability is roughly similar to my Strats; although, the precision of the neck & fretwork are better on the PRS.

Sound-wise, you know how the bridge pickup in an HSS guitar is like a powerful Strat, but not quite a Les Paul? Well, apply that to the neck position too. So, you get a relatively unique and largely practical set of sounds, but then you also get the lightweight comfort, that impeccably-designed tremolo bridge, great control layout, and more importantly, it stays in tune well, too. Great, versatile guitar in its own right; it's even better if you can free your expectations from the constraints that a guitar has to be in the Fender or Gibson camps. (I'm not pointing the finger at "you," but rather "you" as in anyone in general.)

PRS just about ruined my liking of other guitars for sure. Especially the CU22. After having PRS quality...how do ya beat that. I do love my tele w/ fat U shape neck though.
You will probably really like the CU22. The pattern (wide fat) neck is great too. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s really comfortable.

LIke a 22 fret doublew cutaway PRS
PRS just about ruined my liking of other guitars for sure. Especially the CU22. After having PRS quality...how do ya beat that. I do love my tele w/ fat U shape neck though.
You will probably really like the CU22. The pattern (wide fat) neck is great too. Don’t let the name fool you, it’s really comfortable.

They absolutely set the bar for me when looking at guitars that I compare all others too. The biggest compliment I could have ever received was from my girlfriend last night. She heard my 2020 tele build for the first time since it was completely done and said "baby it's as beautiful sounding as your PRS". I was blown away to hear someone else say it, as I think it is, but figured I was skewed since I built it.

Last edited:
The Cu24 is a different animal than the 22 fret models, offering a tonal spectrum with an appropriately different tilt. Coming from a Strat you may especially love it, because it has the latitude to generate some very stratty sounds for a dual humbcker guitar. I own both models, but would label the 24 as my most 'fun' guitar to play due to its remarkable versatility.

The Custom 22 is not a srat-like guitar, so you need to know that going into it.

It's more like the best vintage LP Junior that you've ever played, brought into the present, perfected and molded into an amazing, and possibly, unique experience.

I got my first PRS in 1991, and was never happy with another guitar until I was able to get a second one, 15 years later in 2006. This is not for trying. I worked at a guitar shop for 5 years during that time, and there was never anything that made me feel like I didn't already have the best guitar I could.

Your average guitar has gotten a lot better since those days, so it'll likely not be the same experience I first had, so temper your expectations.

Also, I tried a Silver Sky, and didn't really gel with it, so it's possible a Custom may not be your thing.

I would describe my Cu 22 (avatar) as luxurious, in feel, sound and looks. As others have said, it was my first PRS, and it ruined me for all other brands. Buying PRS guitars became an addiction for me, egged on by the enablers on this forum. :)

I've never owned but one true CU22, it was my very first PRS. Great guitar, it was just beat to hell so I wanted something nicer and traded it in. I've had an Artist V which is basically a CU22, a couple P22's which are thicker. All very nice. CU24's are my favorite, though.

if you guys had to pick ONE guitar to keep forever, would it be one of these?

I need to try one!

My number 1 gigging guitar is my cu22. It's amazing.
I'm surprised they sell so few and discontinued it, actually.

I'm waiting to see what ssh units come to Australia, I'd be happy to have another cu22 package with a slightly different flavor.
They didn't discontinue it so much as let it evolve into like 5 different models: 594, Paul's, Modern Eagle, McCarty, and Special.

if you guys had to pick ONE guitar to keep forever, would it be one of these?

I need to try one!

Yes, absolutely! My core Custom 24 would be the last guitar I'd sell if I had to and my upgraded, as far as you can go, SE Custom 24 floyd would be a close 2nd maybe 3rd. I've always asked the question of if there could only be one but until my Custom 24 it never could be answered. I've had a lot of guitars over the years too.

Back