What´s this, Mr. Tremonti?!

Giving Mark and easy look about the public opinion concerning his PRS concept guitar

• Admirable

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Indifference

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Abomination

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Well, I have to admit that after seeing the re-post of the nice photo of Mr. Tremonti playing his new axe, I am really starting to like the shape because it is so different. I like the flat top, the understated and nicely stained wood grain, and the reverse headstock - I think it all flows rather nicely in that rebellious pseudo-metal way.

I have six double-cut PRSi that all kinda look the same from a distance, and two single cuts that look similar enough, so something like this Explorer-based shape would mix it up quite nicely from my perspective.

Yes!! This exactly! And it'd sound different, too, no doubt.

My wife thinks I keep buying the very same guitar, over and over.

"Check this out," I'll say, and open the case of the guitar so that she and her bacteria cloud* can viddy the thing.

"It's beautiful, but didn't you already have that guitar?" she'll ask.

"Well, yes, but not quite in this configuration, with these exact woods and pickups," I'll say. Although there are times when, yes indeed, I did have the very same model in the same configuration and occasionally the same color. Because I'm boring.

I can see only one drawback to PRS making guitars that really look different: I won't be able to sneak one into the house unnoticed if she and her bacteria cloud are in a grumpy mood the day it arrives.

How many times have you read on other forums about the ugly "small" headstock of PRS guitars (typically Les Paul players), or those "silly double pointed horns"?

This alone is a good reason to play only PRS guitars and stay off those other fora. ;)

But seriously, these days I look at a Gibson headstock-canoe paddle, with its Rococo pediment, as gigantic and ungainly, and truth be told, I've always thought the Fender headstock, made as it is to look like a violin's headstock twisted into a weird angle, like a cheap copy of the Stauffer/Martin guitar of the early 19th Century, was downright goofy looking.

Seriously, no one thinks your Fender is actually a member of the violin family, in spite of its headstock's massively failed attempt to create such an impression.

mex-strat-headstock.jpg

The PRS headstock shape with the horns actually mirrors and compliments the sweep of the doublecut body in an artistic way that is consistent with the guitar's blend of traditional and modern design. Only a booger-eating, uneducated Philistine would fail to see that.

Unfortunately, those "other" fora are principally populated with just such Philistines. ;)

*for an explanation of this term, please see the thread on dandyism and guitars elsewhere on this forum.

Last edited:
Looks like I touched off a firestorm with my hooker comment. It was intended to be flip. Because it`s a prototype, I expect there will be diferent iterations of this. There`s very little in the guitar world I don`t like, especially PRS. It`s all PRS all the time when I gig, after 50 years of looking for really good guitars. I went through a zillion before I got to PRSi, and I`m a DC guy to begin with, within driving distance of the factory. There`s no hate here, just an opinion. We should all be entitled to our opinions. Personally, I value honesty, but not vitriol. Dissent isn`t bad.

Looks like I touched off a firestorm with my hooker comment. It was intended to be flip. Because it`s a prototype, I expect there will be diferent iterations of this. There`s very little in the guitar world I don`t like, especially PRS. It`s all PRS all the time when I gig, after 50 years of looking for really good guitars. I went through a zillion before I got to PRSi, and I`m a DC guy to begin with, within driving distance of the factory. There`s no hate here, just an opinion. We should all be entitled to our opinions. Personally, I value honesty, but not vitriol. Dissent isn`t bad.
I have no problem with voicing opinions but there's a right way to do it. You aren't going to walk into someone's house and say "Wow, your house is $hite." are you? This is a forum hosted by PRS guitars, so that's essentially what's going on here.

I generally don't have a problem with different shapes (heck, I played Jackson King V's for years). But (for me anyway) the lines and contours of the body/head have to compliment each other and balance the guitar out. The headstock should flow with the curves of the body etc. This concept guitar very much looks like two different guitars slapped together. Everything from the bridge to the headstock is interesting and flows. The back end however just has an oddly placed "Gumby" effect going on. Just doesn't look balanced.

Granted, what doesn't flow for me might for someone else. Personal taste is just that! lol

There´s is no need in boothering each other. Design follows highly individual taste. This concept guitar separates the community in strict two groups.
More than other PRSi.
These "ordinary" PRS guitars have the same body shape but different pups layout, bridges, or colours. Very briefly nailed ;-)

In my eyes the Tremonti´s concept guitar is a very good example for thought-out design. Indeed, it´s different from common sense about beauty of PRS body shapes.
I´ll explain my opinion with an example of a German guy who built a PRS style doublecut guitar (it´s not me, I won´t dare building a guitar. There are lot of guys outside which are perfect craftsmen.):
He took care of trademark issues, so he didn´t copy.
He built a right hand guitar. He made a neck with a reversed 3l-3r headstock according to his own taste.
Not only in my eyes but others this decision messes up the optical appearance of the guitar.
If you got a 6-in-a-row headstock it doesn´t matter setting it reversed.
For our eyes (and brain) it´s more harmonic to leave same design details on the same side. He would have done a better job keeping the typical design principles of a PRS guitar: Both the longest horn of the body and the longest horn of the headstock remain on the bass side of the guitar. But his personal taste was different. For sure he has to love the guitar.

The involved personnel of this discussed Tremonti concept guitar took care of that and it appears as a whole an not as a "foreign" element carrying out a reversed headstock to copy a longer horn on the treble side of the guitar. I personally feel no disbalance.

I wish I had the money to order this concept guitar as a guitar for blues rock with Bigsby, DGT pups (and wiring), a carved top, and a vintage style three tone sunburst lacquer.

I think the view most people took (and I'm guessing here) is that people weren't looking at it as Mark's guitar, but more as a concept being floated for a future PRS design. I'll agree that some of the comments could possibly be interpreted as being offensive by someone (I didn't see any that way), but I have to admit, it was interesting seeing the spectrum of reactions.

If nothing else, it's a great illustration of how resistant guitarists can be to the unusual or non-traditional. At Experience 2012, my wife went to a demo Paul did about the Neal Schon model. He said that the production versions were going to be different than the guitars Neal played. Which is generally a no-no - part of the idea of a sig model is, if I see you playing your signature model and I go into a store, I'm expecting the same model. The problem was, Neal specified some very non-traditional woods. Paul said, "I think Neal knows good tone, but I can't make these guitars in production because YOU WON'T BUY THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT MAHOGANY AND MAPLE." I saw him say pretty much exactly the same thing about neck blanks - he even did the tap test and showed the non-traditional wood had a better tone and rang better, and he flat out asked the crowd, "So why won't you buy this?"
My bold emphasis:

So...what were the woods used in Neal Schon's personal version that were swapped out for Hog and Maple? Because I lust after guitars that use woods different from the traditional Hog/Maple (or Ash/Alder for strat-ish bodies). Problem is they are usually quite a bit more expensive, perhaps because they are so limited in production, so it is a self-fulfilling prophesy...

My bold emphasis:

So...what were the woods used in Neal Schon's personal version that were swapped out for Hog and Maple? Because I lust after guitars that use woods different from the traditional Hog/Maple (or Ash/Alder for strat-ish bodies). Problem is they are usually quite a bit more expensive, perhaps because they are so limited in production, so it is a self-fulfilling prophesy...

I'll have to search. It's been a couple years. I just remember watching how flummoxed Paul looked showing some of these woods, thinking "You know, he's right - I should worry about the tone of the wood, not the type", then I went back into the factory and looked for a rosewood neck.

I'm part of the problem.

Yeah, please do, I'd be interested too. (Or if anyone else remembers.)
Because I lust after guitars that use woods different from the traditional Hog/Maple (or Ash/Alder for strat-ish bodies)...
Cheers to that!

Last edited:
Looking at it I really figured out what I don't like about it. The top horn. I can deal with the bottom one (hell, I like the Ibanez Iceman and even the Fireman), but that top horn just throws it off for me. If you'd just round that off a bit I'd be in love.

I'll have to search. It's been a couple years. I just remember watching how flummoxed Paul looked showing some of these woods, thinking "You know, he's right - I should worry about the tone of the wood, not the type", then I went back into the factory and looked for a rosewood neck.

I'm part of the problem.

There's a Rig Rundown of him talking about the Prototype and he says that one is Spruce top with curly maple back and sides and a mahogany tone block in it.

[video]https://youtu.be/ZQLIknKdBig[/video]

Looking at it I really figured out what I don't like about it. The top horn. I can deal with the bottom one (hell, I like the Ibanez Iceman and even the Fireman), but that top horn just throws it off for me. If you'd just round that off a bit I'd be in love.

3m-4-inch-disc-sander-28408-a.jpg

51HjGKLwg2L._SY679_.jpg

Thanks for this closer look!

There's a Rig Rundown of him talking about the Prototype and he says that one is Spruce top with curly maple back and sides and a mahogany tone block in it.

[video]https://youtu.be/ZQLIknKdBig[/video]

Your YouTube quote goes wrong! Neal Schon has nothing to do with the concept guitar, hasn´t he?

This is the right interview with Mark Tremonti (at approx 16:10 he goes into detail.):

Last edited by a moderator:
Back