What´s this, Mr. Tremonti?!

Giving Mark and easy look about the public opinion concerning his PRS concept guitar

• Admirable

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Indifference

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Abomination

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
I hope PRS hears you.

Yeah, kinda unorthodox way for a job application as brand/product manager ;-)

But I live in Europa, too far away from the factory :-(

Due to the fact Tremonti´s original poti layout consits 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs you might be right with your guessing.
They are in lined in a row. To avoid maloperation in hasty situations they could have made it easier to select the right poti.

Last edited:
Looks a bit unwieldily for me. Not liking that lower extremity curved horn, seems like pointless weight.

I gotta admit, I'm astonished by the response here. I can understand not liking it, but have some class, people. It's certainly not my favorite, but I enjoy seeing some experimentation from PRS and Mark definitely seems to be enjoying it and that makes me a happy camper.

The more I look at this, the more I like it. Check out the curly maple binding underneath the stain. That's badass.

i'm quite intrigued. can't imagine doing any more damage than i did with my Ibanez Destroyer back in the 80's, and if i stand on stage right this band i should be fine

Being the thread opener I´m surprised by the contributions and views aswell.

First I saw this guitar I was about thinking going to puke out. But mind mapping about the guitar as a basis for alternative versions, my love raised more and more for that concept.

Indeed it´s controversal.

I´m one of these persons who loves the curves and carving of that classic doublecut body of a PRS guitar, too.
In 1986 PRS made an Explorer-type of guitar for Mr. Billy Gibbons. Radical shapes aren´t new to PRS but seldom.

For sure, Mark Tremonti´s concept guitar stings out of the shapes we´re used to reflect hearing the words "PRS".
As a production model the Vela walks on new paths aswell. A few like the shape, others don´t.

As I mentioned it before: This kind of body shape allows different genre-type variations. Apart from the Starla (or SC) a Bigsby would made the "ordinary" PRS look ugly. But not this concept. Even a Floyd Rose, or as currently, a Stoptail.
Make it your Blues guitar with a Bigsby and DGT pups, make it a Rock guitar with the current concept layout, make it a lead guitarist Metal axe with \m/ pups and a Floyd Rose (or fixed brigde).
And: It´s the 30 anniversary year of PRS. This concept shows off: We don´t rest, we dare!

Admittedly, I am one of the people who called it "ugly". After looking at the pictures a number of times, I'll change my view from ugly to "not my type of shape" so as to not ruffle feathers. The first thing that popped into my head was the front bouts looking very similar to the "dyslexic stratocaster" bass Paul made early in his career. Let just say it was not a pretty sight.

I am all for evolution but also think that the original PRS shape is still light years away from the competition and a piece of classic design and art. The original design set the bar so high that it will be very difficult to top and will always be a point of comparison. I also may not be the best judge of change since I am only recently warming up to the single cut and S2 designs.

Who knows!

Good post, G-man!

No doubt in my mind that PRS is thinking this is a one-off for a noted PRS artist. While I think it's cool, I'll agree that the classic PRS design is much more beautiful. But a change of pace kinda thing is good at times.

Looks to me like a $2 hooker at a high class call girl convention.

LOL!!

I kinda dig it. I think with a few refinements it could be a winner. Really interested in what it sounds like though. Not sure i'd want one with the Tremonti pickups. Something a little more vintage perhaps.

I'm not sure yet whether I quite like it or not but I'm happy PRS is trying to do something than the usual traditional shapes. Tremonti looks stoked....so that's really all that matters.

I'll change my view from ugly to "not my type of shape". ........................I am only recently warming up to the single cut and S2 designs.

I'll have to join on this, had a cheap Ibanez explorer copy back in the day and that low slung shape/position was not for me, it was homemade strats after that, then ultimately PRS from then on.
...and I still don't care for the S2 or sgl cuts.......maybe stubborn I guess.

In my opinion these small knobs are for a piezo bridge.
Maybe one as a rotary instead of a toggle (magnetics, Mixed, piezo), the other is responsible for piezo volume. But maybe I'm totally wrong.

Tremonti has never used a Piezo-System thus I'd go for 2x Volume and 2x Tone. In addition, I struggle to recognize a Piezo-jack...

Frank, my German chap, we saw Tremonti playing a doublecut in studio, did we?
I'm uncertain because I have no evidence by the given perspective of the currently available pictures.
It's hard to tell that this is only a classical jack.
I corrected my suggestion regarding piezo in the thread later on.
I'll hope we get further details soon.

I dig it. I don't find the guitar to be all that attractive - but I love the fact that PRS is breaking free from the usual stuff. One step closer to a PRS Flying V...

Well, the amount of negative reaction is quite interesting. Usually when I see a guitar I don't like the look of, I just keep scrolling.
First of all, I completely agree with this second sentence. There's another site where people are constantly wishing for an X- or V-shape guitar -- those do nothing for me. Yup, I'm not the target market for this guitar, neither, but I have a couple headless, and those also get a lot of hate. Don't really understand why -- it's a lot easier to transport to my guitar lesson, it's perfect for "grab'n'go".

But then I realized, it's not so much hate as polarization. So I just mentally shut out all the hate. I hope PRS does, too. Fine, it's a niche market, but there still appears to be plenty of people who said they'd "rock that" -- good on you, guys!

Don't get me wrong -- when I see what I think is a terribly ugly guitar, I'm tempted to say "wow, that's a terribly ugly guitar" -- I just don't understand why I feel so strongly to say so, and try to resist the urge.

One man's ugly is another man's hawt. I happen to love the alien shapes with lots of sharp looking points that a lot of metal acts use.

Back