Whammy bar

mark cassidy

Hi there! First off, I'm new here. I have several guitars including a couple PRS models. I am seriously looking at a new PRS in the higher end range. My Q is: Is it worth the xtra money to get a Floyd Rose bar? I am a decent amateur guitar player but relatively new to the whole whammy bar thing (I usually block them on Strats etc). But I want to give it a proper go. Do I go Floyd Ros or stick with the regular PRS bar? Many thanks!!!

Having been a FR owner (admittedly on a non PRS), l’d echo Ovibos’ comment!

Unless you intend to hold your guitar up by the Whammy Bar (Steve Vai style), the regular tremolo and slippy nut do a very good job.

Ok. That was easy!! Many thanks! Regular it's going to be.

I missed the fun, but what those guys said. My few Floyd experiences have not been as bad as I’d been led to believe as far as the string changes, but the actual use - for my money - is far easier and pleasurable with the PRS system. Retuning is infinitely better. The fine tuners on the Floyd help, but they have limits. No unlocking no and locking with the PRS.

The only thing the PRS lacks is the upbend range, but if you’re looking at a Tremonti, it’s routed to allow a bit more there.

I used to be a floyd player. I got tired of them. Regular for me. Great if matched with premium nut with graphite or teflon and locking tuners. It shouldn't even be called "regular". It's a "Paul Reed Smith bridge". It has 6 knife edges compared to the only 2 of the floyd while Fender doesn't.

He explained somewhere here:

Last edited:
I used to be a floyd player. I got tired of them. Regular for me. Great if matched with premium nut with graphite or teflon and locking tuners. It shouldn't even be called "regular". It's a "Paul Reed Smith bridge". It has 6 knife edges compared to the only 2 of the floyd while Fender doesn't.

He explained somewhere here:
Very cool. Thankyou everybody!

Back