Were your parents into rock music?

I wonder how or why they were in possession of the Hendrix album? Did you ever ask them why they bought it? Or, was it a gift? My folks were OK with the Beatles, but like a significant portion of the American public, could not stand Hendrix. He was a polarizing figure, which is too bad since he was such an innovator. Perfectly paired with Eddie Kramer who helped put down on tape what Hendrix heard in his head.
Wouldn’t surprise me if my uncle gave it to my dad to try to turn him onto it. It had to have been given to them by someone. I should ask my mom. They weren’t into Hendrix but they weren’t especially passionate about music generally. Certainly not like me. Seems like me and my uncles got the music bug but somehow my parents skipped it.

Wouldn’t surprise me if my uncle gave it to my dad to try to turn him onto it. It had to have been given to them by someone. I should ask my mom. They weren’t into Hendrix but they weren’t especially passionate about music generally. Certainly not like me. Seems like me and my uncles got the music bug but somehow my parents skipped it.
I had a cool uncle too…but now I AM the cool uncle. And I’m not mad about it!

I had a cool uncle too…but now I AM the cool uncle. And I’m not mad about it!
Ditto here! I was just told two weeks ago that my nieces and nephews always called me "Funcle" because I was the fun uncle!! That certainly made me smile!!! They told me about all this cool stuff I used to do with/for them!!!! Blew my mind, don't remember most of it!!!!! My uncle (favorite member of my family) turned me on to Zappa when I was 8 years old, and it changed my life, not just musically but mentally as well!!!!!! "I'm The Slime" had me looking at TV a whole different way the rest of my life, even to this day!!!!!!! Did y'all know that is Tina Turner and the Iketes on "Apostrophe" and "Overnight Sensation" doing backup vocals? I think Frank paid Ike Turner $200 or $250 for the girls doing backups. Ike listened for about 5 minutes in the studio, said "Who the hell is gonna' list to this sh!t, let me know when they are done" and left.

A car so cool that Lou Reed gave it a nod in "Sweet Jane"

Ridin' in a Stutz Bearcat, Jim
You know those were different times
All the poets studied rows of verse
And those ladies, they rolled their eyes
i thought it was ‘rousseau verse’ but yours is better.

these roses, our rows; those rows, cicero’s.

Not mine. I was born in '67, and played lots of records at home. Mom was a house wife, so she heard it. Dad was a "turn it down" guy with the record player and the guitar. Sadly, he died at 64 in 1985.
The same for me (included the death of my father in 1985).
My parents were not music fans, I and my best friend began to listen to rock when we were about 10 thanks to his older cousins.
The stereo system came into our house - or rather into my room :) - after long insistence on my part.

My dad was from the Silent Generation (in between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boomers). He was a Frank Sinatra/Pete Fountain kind of guy.

Not even a little.
They were into classical music. They were less than amused when I told them I wanted to learn how to play guitar. I was instantly black sheeped when they found a tape of Living Colour's vivid in my room. My older siblings did much better at hiding their music, lol.
Whew! if you're gonna be caught with a rock album and crucified for it, that one's a helluva good 'un!

I will never forget the 1st time I cranked Cult of Personality in the house my parents thought the world was coming to an end LOL
I saw Living Colour on the very first Lollapooza tour in 1991 at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater. That was a rocking good time.

I later read that Kurt Cobain and and Dave Grohl were in the audience at that same show because they were in L.A. recording Nevermind at the time. Double checked and sure enough there’s a picture of them in the crowd:

So, maybe Vernon Reid’s influence goes deeper than most people realize.

Crazy to think I was in the audience with Cobain and Grohl. They clearly moved on. I’m still in the audience.

I saw Living Colour on the very first Lollapooza tour in 1991 at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater. That was a rocking good time.

I later read that Kurt Cobain and and Dave Grohl were in the audience at that same show because they were in L.A. recording Nevermind at the time. Double checked and sure enough there’s a picture of them in the crowd:

So, maybe Vernon Reid’s influence goes deeper than most people realize.

Crazy to think I was in in the audience with Cobain and Grohl. They clearly moved on. I’m still in the audience.
Vernon is just such a insane guitarist. His solo Album, Mistaken Identity was such a completely different direction that Living Colour. Then when he did the guitar oblique with David Torn (who is equally insane) and Elliot Sharp was again completely different then the previous projects. For me one of the coolest things he did was Yohimbe Brothers with DJ Logic - I know this stuff is definitely not for everyone but it is just mind blowing how he changes up so many different styles and appears comfortable in all of them. I have said it before and i will say it again Living Colour's album Stain was so ahead of its time that if it was released today it would still be ahead of its time.

Vernon is just such a insane guitarist. His solo Album, Mistaken Identity was such a completely different direction that Living Colour. Then when he did the guitar oblique with David Torn (who is equally insane) and Elliot Sharp was again completely different then the previous projects. For me one of the coolest things he did was Yohimbe Brothers with DJ Logic - I know this stuff is definitely not for everyone but it is just mind blowing how he changes up so many different styles and appears comfortable in all of them. I have said it before and i will say it again Living Colour's album Stain was so ahead of its time that if it was released today it would still be ahead of its time.
the one with glamour boy?

My mom and dad were both born just three years before Elvis. Yet they were the biggest squares you could imagine. Mom was into show tunes and stuff like Perry Como. My dad never showed any interest in music at all. He tuned his car radio to the local news station and broke the knob off. But he did hail from the northern tip of Appalachia and had some really weird Appalachian regional 1930s slang he used until the day he died and he claimed that when he was a kid he liked "hillbilly music" which was, I think, bluegrass. But never in my lifetime. That said, neither ever criticized the music my brothers and I listened to and my mom bought me my first guitar so for a couple of squares they were okay.

My Parents were born in the early 50's. It was mostly me who had to learn to like rock haha. I was a little kid being brought to see all the local classic rock bands in crappy bars. They were big fans of Bruce Springsteen (being from NJ) the Eagles, the Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, not a fan of most 80's music though. It really took me finding music I liked in the 90's to appreciate their musical tastes. Then my parents also got into the alternative and grunge stuff. My dad always had a couple guitars laying around hoping his sons would pick it up I suppose. I picked up guitar maybe 3 times before it really stuck when I was 14 or 15. Heck, they even supported me playing the half-stack recto at home! Anyway, now that I have my own kids, I am grateful to be able to share some music, and lots of instruments with them. my 10 year old has recently gotten into drums, and oddly enough loves music scores from movies the most. So its been fun to learn with him and GAS over some eDrum gear too!

My folks didn't even have a record player! My Granny felt sorry for us kids and gave us her old console. My brother and I were in bands together growing up so they sort of tolerated us

My mother was always a Neil Diamond, Karen Carpenter type of music fan. As she got older she fell into the John Tesh, Enya and Celtic Women type of music. As for my dad, his style always seemed to change with the time. He was always into whatever the top 40 was at the time. The last time I remember him really taking the time to listen to music was back in the 80’s, he would listen to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Police, The Eurythmics and such. As he got older he never seemed to listen to music much.

Back