Well wha'dya know... these Pups are okay...

Jimi D

@ the hundredth meridian
Some of you might recall my SC245 Goldtop NGD thread from a while ago ... I was loving my new goldtop but unsure about the 245 pickups, eventually deciding I wasn't really happy with them...

obligatory pic:

U4RG9h3.jpg

Whelp, spent today restringing the guitar with my preferred strings and setting it up across the board, including lowering the action a touch and playing around with the pickup heights some more, and I got it set up so I'm thinking a new set of pickups might not be necessary... I'm going to put the idea on hold for a bit anyway, because the way I've got things set up now, they're not sounding too bad at all.

I will say that I don't know what kind of strings were on the guitar or how old they were, but restringing with my gauge of D'Addario XLs seems to have made a huge difference in the guitar's tone. Everything is snappier, clearer and more open than before... A really eye-opening (or ear-opening) difference...

I'm always amazed at the difference pickup height can make... especially when you start adjusting the individual pole pieces.

Always check the basics first...
Ya, I know... but I was thinking "These pickups aren't doing it, so I'll change the strings and do a proper setup after I change out the pickups... If I change the strings now, I'm just wasting a set"... but then I finally realized "don't be an idiot, strings are cheaper than pickups" LOL

Some of you might recall my SC245 Goldtop NGD thread from a while ago ... I was loving my new goldtop but unsure about the 245 pickups, eventually deciding I wasn't really happy with them...

obligatory pic:

U4RG9h3.jpg

Whelp, spent today restringing the guitar with my preferred strings and setting it up across the board, including lowering the action a touch and playing around with the pickup heights some more, and I got it set up so I'm thinking a new set of pickups might not be necessary... I'm going to put the idea on hold for a bit anyway, because the way I've got things set up now, they're not sounding too bad at all.

I will say that I don't know what kind of strings were on the guitar or how old they were, but restringing with my gauge of D'Addario XLs seems to have made a huge difference in the guitar's tone. Everything is snappier, clearer and more open than before... A really eye-opening (or ear-opening) difference...

I suggest you try the NYXLs sometime if you' re feeling spendy, pure string crack.

pickup heights is near the top of the list of things I adjust when I set up a new guitar! depending on the pickups andthe guitar it can make a night and day difference. My 245 SE was no different. I have found distances similar to what Gibson recommend for their humbuckers to work pretty well as a starting point (I think my bridge is just a tad closer to the strings, and the bass side of the neck backed off a bit more)

Good to see you have possibly spared yourself an expensive mistake by simply changing the strings instead of the pickups. I find changing strings a bit of a pain sometimes but I always feel better when the job is done :)

Back