Well, they've got a point...

Yeah, in some cases, I agree. One of the reasons why I did buy a NOS cu24 instead of a current production. Loved the old position 3 way toggle. Not a big fan of the position on my Core Starla either, but the sound makes up for it (a little)...

I think the only one I own that I am not very fond of is my CU24. It has the rotary on it. It is the only one that I have with it. I kind of wanted it that way since it is close to the original design, minus the sweet switch. I love the switch position on the 594. The first time I saw one I was wondering what the heck Paul was thinking putting that switch on the upper horn. It looked terrible to me. However, the more I thought about it the more I realized that is probably my favorite switch location on any guitar and that is what draws me to singlecut models. I bought a 594 and love it. I got past not liking the look of it very quickly. Now it looks normal to me.

Yeah I agree too. I mostly dislike the placement of the blade switches. I have three different models with a blade switch (Cu24, SSH, and MEV) and they are all pretty awkward to use compared to my guitars with the three way toggle, which I vastly prefer regardless of placement. I don't own any guitar with the rotary switch, but if I did I would change it to a three way toggle in a heartbeat.

The only ones I have any real complaint about are those that put the pick-up selector behind the 'bridge' area.

I certainly have no objections to a switch on the upper horn as that is the 'most' familiar place for me having been a 'Les Paul' player for years and those below Pick-ups are generally similar to most other guitars - strats, teles, superstrats etc so I find these 'OK' but when they are too far back behind the bridge, that I find most awkward and confusing - but I guess I'd get used to it if I played these regularly. The McCarty always felt awkward to me so didn't buy one and I prefer the 'older' Blade layout of the Cu24-08 before they changed to the 408 layout with the pick-up selector behind the bridge.

I guess its more to do with what you get used to and your 'playing' style and having a switch on the upper horn is where I am most comfortable as its what I am also most familiar with. Getting used to different layouts takes me much longer to adjust than to a different neck carve and/or scale length...

knobs and switches on those old guitars, i guess, but i listen to old records and it was clearly recorded in a day with one guitar through one amp, and if there are two guitar sounds there was usually a second guitarist with different pickups.

anyway while we're griping, my issue is the idiotic side mounted jack plate. it should be on the top like a 335.

Yeah I agree too. I mostly dislike the placement of the blade switches. I have three different models with a blade switch (Cu24, SSH, and MEV) and they are all pretty awkward to use compared to my guitars with the three way toggle, which I vastly prefer regardless of placement. I don't own any guitar with the rotary switch, but if I did I would change it to a three way toggle in a heartbeat.
Did this with my CE24. Vast improvement

if someone steps on it the angled cord should crack the top before pulling out.
I guess it depends on who stepped on it. I think further away, straight should pull right out. If close, angled seems better, because there would be less leverage on the jack (and therefore less likely to crack the guitar).

Reactions: jxe
I guess it depends on who stepped on it. I think further away, straight should pull right out. If close, angled seems better, because there would be less leverage on the jack (and therefore less likely to crack the guitar).
back when we used cords i mean, like ‘86-87. jack placement is what made the stratocaster better than the tele.

The only one I object to from a functionality standpoint is the blade switch placement on the traditional PRS shape where it’s obscured by the trem bar.
I have a P22 Trem and an SAS that have the blades and trems. These haven't bothered me. That could be because I have played a strat plenty in my life and my Suhrs have them as well. The Suhrs are a little more out of the way. I actually like these blade switch locations better than the three way on my CU22. That always seems like such a far reach back to get to it.

None of the switch placements bother me. The push/pull split though...I love switches on a guitar!!! Please make more switches like the 24-08 and PG for pickup splits.

Back