Well the skunk is back!

Knock on wood: I have never seen or even smelled a skunk here in the Orlando area in the 17 years I've lived here (and the uncounted times I was here on business previously). I dealt with skunks a fair bit in the areas I used to live "up north". Supposedly there are some around here, but I guess they stay away from the built up areas?
They eat mice and insects and I don't know what else. They like piles of wood and organic debris where mice and bugs like to live because that's what skunks eat. We're out in a rural area with lots of farms and orchards so there's lots of piles of vegetation like that.

The gentle waft of skunk in the evening air while you’re diving or sitting in your backyard does smell like weed.. for sure.

But an actual straight blast out the back end of a skunk is an altogether way different stench. It’s awful.
Exactly! It's like super intense burning rubber mixed with some kind of horrible toxic petrol crap.

Fresh skunk spray doesn't remind me much of cannabis.

They eat mice and insects and I don't know what else.
They also eat "garbage" - i.e. food cast offs. I encountered quite a few skunks dealing with the big dumpsters out back behind the family restaurant. They are just as bad as racoons for scavenging.

In theory there is no reason why they aren't around here where I live. They exist elsewhere in FL and in GA, and beyond of course. I'm not complaining, mind you.

i live a block and a half over from a hash oil refinery and they def have a skunk down there, but i used to live next to a brewery and the smell of used hops was nauseating.
I opened a studio in Chicago with a Mexican grocery/cantina on one side and a Honey Baked ham factory on the other.

Sometimes it’s better to have gross smells when rats are involved.

I opened a studio in Chicago with a Mexican grocery/cantina on one side and a Honey Baked ham factory on the other.

Sometimes it’s better to have gross smells when rats are involved.
back in the alley with the cab stand, there was an anorexic jogger girl who would run by and stop to eat mass quantities out of the great harvest garbage.

Last edited:
Well he's with his mate in the foothills of the Rockies. Took him to the same spot we took her to yesterday. Hope they live happily ever after and don't come back. He sprayed too. Stunk to high heaven. Got a little on my girlfriend's rubber boots. Didn't get me.

Next we're going to fill the crawl space with moth balls. Supposed to keep them away.

You may want to investigate those scents that are predators to the skunk ....

Red fox urine in small amounts may keep them at bay ...

This too will pass ... best luck going forward ... these memories will be comedy
when enough time exists between you and the horror of organic olfactory aggression.

i live a block and a half over from a hash oil refinery and they def have a skunk down there, but i used to live next to a brewery and the smell of used hops was nauseating.
Working on a medical relief mission in West Africa ... I got involved in a surgery that was related to dead bowel and liters of
waste that ended up on the surgical floor in a room that had no ventilation and was about 90F. None of the nurses could stay
in the room ... so surgeon scrub nurse and I travailed for about 6 hours .... standing in essentially a sewer.

Everyone waited outside of the surgical suite ... long story short ... the woman survived ... and when I arrived back at
the dormitory at midnight I had to shower ... and discard all of my surgical scrubs ...

Thankfully I have less than a keen sense of smell ... probably conditioned that part of my CNS over the 40 years I
was in clinical practice.

Back to the lowly skunkt ... blessed with a non-fatal defense to dissuade predators ... who would imagine
that intelligent design does not play a small part in our existence.

Working on a medical relief mission in West Africa ... I got involved in a surgery that was related to dead bowel and liters of
waste that ended up on the surgical floor in a room that had no ventilation and was about 90F. None of the nurses could stay
in the room ... so surgeon scrub nurse and I travailed for about 6 hours .... standing in essentially a sewer.

Everyone waited outside of the surgical suite ... long story short ... the woman survived ... and when I arrived back at
the dormitory at midnight I had to shower ... and discard all of my surgical scrubs ...

Thankfully I have less than a keen sense of smell ... probably conditioned that part of my CNS over the 40 years I
was in clinical practice.

Back to the lowly skunkt ... blessed with a non-fatal defense to dissuade predators ... who would imagine
that intelligent design does not play a small part in our existence.
great story, i would love to help edit the screenplay if you ever consider collecting them together.

When I lived up in NY they were all over the place but in all the years I have lived in FL I have never seen or smelled a single one.

Well he's with his mate in the foothills of the Rockies. Took him to the same spot we took her to yesterday. Hope they live happily ever after and don't come back. He sprayed too. Stunk to high heaven. Got a little on my girlfriend's rubber boots. Didn't get me.

Next we're going to fill the crawl space with moth balls. Supposed to keep them away.
Moth balls in a sock will last a while and the Skunks will stay away unless you open a Lowenbrau.

Back