Well that was irritating

You're u could have flipped it on them. "Why? Wait...you're not skinny are ya'll? The last band I was in was all skinny and they were jerks."

F'n fatophobes they should call you bullet dodger!

Last...some women dig fat guys so they lost a possible part of their base!

I say play the whole thing out, if they like your stuff that much you never know, you could have a bunch of skinny posers doing your bidding and catering to you. At the very least you might get to jam with some good players, get some exposure, etc.

Just a thought, maybe you should consider (as a vocalist) making *YOU* the foundation of your next project or endeavor, come up with your set of covers or originals and build a band around you. If I had pipes, which I don't:oops:, but that's what I'd do.

If they aren't an A-list band making bank and performing in sports arena venues and such, they have no room to ask people to "look cool".

But, if you are going on tour with for example an act which has already been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and they are still playing to packed stadiums, then YES, that is a valid expectation. Alice Cooper for example will not hire you to play guitar if you don't look really good. It doesn't matter how good you can play. Robert Trujillo had to also LOOK COOL in order to land the gig with Metallica. When you are on stage, you are an ENTERTAINER and not a musician. Yes you have to play great, but you are there to entertain, and that includes VISUALLY entertain the audience. Even the guitar you play is part of the show.... the visual entertainment for the audience. (Ask Rick Nielsen about that.) Realize it or not, the audience is gawking at how cool the guitar you play looks, just as much as they are looking at how attractive the performers are, how well they are dressed/costumed, how cool looking is the light show, and the visual stage settings and so on. In a live show, EVERYTHING is on display for the visual entertainment of the audience. So, you are either in a band that is putting on a show or you are in a band just making background music for people while they are paying attention to other things.

rs-188234-132872637.jpg

The really funny part is that it's an Alt Country band, so really not the most image conscious genre...
A friend recently played at a big songwriters event in Los Angeles, and a friend of his was giving a speech at that same event. From what he gathered from the industry execs that were there, they are all searching for artists who do "trap country". So my friend just released their first "trap country" single with a band name of "Honest Family Outlaws". Sounds pretty good, and I think they shot a cool video with some drone footage, but nothing I would be putting on my playlist. Anyway, pursuing what the industry wants rather than what the artist inside you wants is a dead end IMO! Unless you are simply in it for the money.

You will find the right mates Mr. Aahzz! Keep lookin'!

Back