Weird pots

Other than the knob that’s not level, the other three look a similar distance from the body, the strings make the one in the extreme left look closer to the body.

The one that is not level has most likely been removed and replaced incorrectly. Also it they are “after-market” knobs they may be imperial fit into SE pots that are metric, if my memory serves me correctly.

Good luck sorting it.
well the guitar is brand new, I was the first person playing it (lucky me, cause how come no one played this guitar in a week? a Tremonti signature(pickups are sooo freaking awesome, soo heavy *.*. I also like tremonti playing, thats why I wanted his signature SE Model so maybe one day I'll buy the american version))

The knobs appearing a bit high is something I noticed on my 2017 SE Custom 22. I think this may have been a change
to the SE line in the past as my 2012 SE Singlecut doesn't look that way:

IMG_2713.JPG

This SE 2017 doesn't have pull-push pots either:

img_2714.jpg

And there is ~1mm difference in how far the pots protrude:

img_2715.jpg

(~10.9mm)

img_2716.jpg

...the knobs look identical 2012 <> 2017.
did you have any kind of problems with the Knobs/pots until now??

Press down on the knob that’s a little higher, or pull up the knob that’s lower.

Press down on the knob that’s a little higher.
Be careful with that! I did that on one of the knobs on a 2010 SE I used to own, and the pot post actually pushed deeper into the inside of the plastic knob and damaged the knob - you could see the splines of the post cutting into the plastic and pushing up towards the top of the knob. A better solution is to open the rear cavity, and adjust the inside nut on the pot to effectively lower the pot in the guitar body.

Be careful with that! I did that on one of the knobs on a 2010 SE I used to own, and the pot post actually pushed deeper into the inside of the plastic knob and damaged the knob - you could see the splines of the post cutting into the plastic and pushing up towards the top of the knob. A better solution is to open the rear cavity, and adjust the inside nut on the pot to effectively lower the pot in the guitar body.

I wouldn't suggest pushing too hard on the knobs either. I'll try putting a washer on the inside to get the pot ~1mm deeper.
The only washer with a 8mm inner diameter I have lying around is 2mm thick and that's a bit too much, there's barely any
thread left after going through the body.

Fixed :)

Printed a few washers as I didn't have M8 ones...
img_2719.jpg

img_2720.jpg

...and put one on the pot from the inside
img_2718.jpg

img_2723.jpg

So using a washer to "fix" button height is possible. It must not be thicker than ~1.3mm...
DIN125 M8 Washers have a thickness from 1.4 - 1.8mm so I doubt they'd work. But every
hardware store should have some thinner ones.

Last edited:
Sooo I went to the guitar store and they say its totally normal, the guitar store employee said his gibson looks exactly like that too, welp its okay I guess. as long the guitar works its ok for me. it has warranty aswell
some one is full of crap. while your at it have the clerk reach under the strings and straighten the knobs.

Back