Weird oscillating noise

Jak

Recently got a used custom 22 and noticed a strange oscillating hum noise coming from the lower strings when they ring out. I play through overloud th3 on my computer but I tried another guitar and could not reproduce the sound so I'm pretty sure its not the audio interface/studio monitors/cable. The hum noise is only noticeable when a note rings out and happens with both pickups although maybe more so with the bridge. Any ideas what could be causing this oscillating hum?

Do you mean through the amp/modeler or can you hear it unplugged?

Do you have a standalone amp that you could switch off all of the effects and listen to the guitar dry?
And how low is your action? This could also be magnetic interference on the strings from the pickups.
The tone you are getting with this tremolo effect actually sounds pretty good. I realize that you don't want it full-time.

Do you have a standalone amp that you could switch off all of the effects and listen to the guitar dry?
And how low is your action? This could also be magnetic interference on the strings from the pickups.
The tone you are getting with this tremolo effect actually sounds pretty good. I realize that you don't want it full-time.

Unfortunately I do not have a standalone amp but when I play another guitar through the same setup I don't get this effect, leading me to think its not the amp setup. In the sound clip I am not running any effects, its straight through the lead channel of a soldano amp only, so I'm not sure why I keep getting this tremolo effect. As for the action, I've checked that and the pickup height but they are setup to factory specs.

Sounds like the intonation is off, to me. Does it only happen to fretted chords?

Sounds like the intonation is off, to me. Does it only happen to fretted chords?

No it happens if i just fret a note on either of the 2 low strings. Made sure it was tuned and still makes that tremolo wobbly effect. I'll check the intonation later, but its not clear to me how the intonation would cause this. Perhaps the tone would be slightly off but idk how it would make this tremolo effect.

I'd like to check it on a real amp. I think it might be fooling the modeler. Do you have a GC close you can go in and try it on a DRRI or something?

Just checked the intonation and it was fine, tuner reads same note on open string and 12th fret
What about the fretted 12 and the harmonic, when playing with gain I find that important.
What tuner are you using to check intonation many tuners at +/- 3c playing with gain sometimes requires more accuracy ( like a Peterson ) tho I do use a TC Electronics Polytune mini nour that is almost perfect.
If its a Trem guitar try damping the trem springs with a bit of foam or rubber tube.
Hope you get it sorted :)

Last edited:
What about the fretted 12 and the harmonic, when playing with gain I find that important.
What tuner are you using to check intonation many tuners at +/- 3c playing with gain sometimes requires more accuracy ( like a Peterson ) tho I do use a TC Electronics Polytune mini nour that is almost perfect.
If its a Trem guitar try damping the trem springs with a bit of foam or rubber tube.
Could be sympathetic vibrations from the springs

Agreed
No it happens if i just fret a note on either of the 2 low strings. Made sure it was tuned and still makes that tremolo wobbly effect. I'll check the intonation later, but its not clear to me how the intonation would cause this. Perhaps the tone would be slightly off but idk how it would make this tremolo effect.
Try tuning using the harmonics on the 5th and 7th fret and you will hear the same or similar sound when tuning to pitch

Forgot to mention its a stoptail

I'd like to check it on a real amp. I think it might be fooling the modeler. Do you have a GC close you can go in and try it on a DRRI or something?

Yeah I might have to go and try it on a real amp sometime then. Just confused since another guitar doesn't make the effect through the same setup.

Tried it again with the harmonic and it was the same, granted it was through a clip on korg tuner so idk how accurate it is. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, been frustrating since this was my first core prs model and wasn't expecting any issues.

...been frustrating since this was my first core prs model and wasn't expecting any issues.
Yeah, not a picture perfect start, but don't worry, the foundation is solid. The answer will show up and get resolved. Then you will have a keeper.

Back