Weird bridge thingy happened

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by TRJC24PRS, Dec 4, 2019 at 9:21 PM.

1. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Possibly A New Member

Last night I put on a brand new set of Ernie Ball mammoth slinky strings (12-62) onto my CU24 and every thing was fine until I got the whole set on and my bridge did a weird thing where it kinda sounded like it banged back into place or something. I dunno its hard to describe but it I'm not too sure if its something i have to worry about or not, just askin for help/input.

2. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

If you remove all the strings at once on a tremolo bridge the bridge can slip out of the slots on the 6 screws holding it to the guitar. When you put the new ones on you have to adjust the trem back into the slots. The bang you heard was the trem snapping back into place having been pressed against the shoulder of the 6 screws above the slots. It is likely nothing was damaged, but it isn't good for the trem. At worst it could have left a small dent on the knife edge of the trem. If you have trouble with tuning stability you may need to inspect it.

The solution in the future is to leave one or two strings half tight on the guitar (low E, or low E and G if you like symmetry) and replace the others. Then replace the low E & G. The trem won't slip out of the slots.

ScottR, dogrocketp, Iceman101 and 7 others like this.
  3. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Possibly A New Member

Ohhh okay, that makes sense. I dont usually take all my strings off unless if Im cleaning the frets up, was wondering what that was. Thanks alot man !

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded

OR just work the bridge a tiny bit and make sure it is riding in the groove before you tighten the strings up. Simple.

ScottR, dogrocketp and Alnus Rubra like this.
  5. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

For string changes, use a shim between bridge and body to keep the bridge from moving very much.

6. gush

gush I'm not a new member!!!!

This. Something that can keep the trem level and not scratch the finish.

ScottR, Iceman101, bodia and 2 others like this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Double this. I use a business card, folded in half lengthwise, and wrapped with painters tape.

8. jak3af3r

jak3af3r Slightly Older Than New Member

Triple this. A polishing cloth will work just as well.

bodia and gush like this.
  9. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Similar theory, I use a plastic butter tub lid (trimmed to fit), for a wrap-around bridge when re-stringing, to stop the string ends from scratching the finish.

ScottR, TRJC24PRS and bodia like this.
  10. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Every man loves a trim butter lid. :D

TRJC24PRS likes this.