Weight question?

JEM10th

Hi!

A year ago i purcased a Custom 24 10-top (Model year 2008).
A couple of months ago I´ve purchased a Custom 24 10-top (Model year 2002).

I thought that t felt a Little bit heavier to handle so i use my bathroom scale to measure the Weight (Kilograms only).

I found out that the 2002 is 3.7 Kilograms and the 2008 is 3.2 Kilograms.

Here are the specifications i recieved from your helpful customer service (thank you for the great respons :) ).

2002 Custom 24, figured maple 10 top, mahogany neck with a regular carve, East Indian rosewood fretboard, Emerald Green finish with HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups.

2008 Custom 24, quilted maple 10 top, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, Black Cherry finish with HFS treble and Vintage bass pickups.

My question is: How can it differ 0.5 Kilograms between what i can see, 2 almost identical gutars.

Thanks for all responses that might clarify my confused head :D

Trees aren't a consistent density (prob due to a bunch of factors whilst they are growing/post felling), so pieces of dried wood, even the same size/species are going to have different weights.

Right there, man, just made me confused with that much amount of difference in % . It may be a little difference to some, and a huge difference to others. To me it is no problem, but if you have some kind of injury due to physical damage or wornouts it is more forgiving with a light guitar. As you might buy a factory custom ordered guitar you can not try it out Before buy, and it might be a problem if there is no way to specify that request when you order. Have a nice Christmas Holiday :)

I agree that is a pretty big difference for the US types thats 1. 2 pounds ( 8.2 lbs vs 7 lbs ) most of my PRSi seem to run 8 - 9 lbs I believe my 305 is my lightest guitar.
On a long gig that 7 lb guitar would be :)

Trees pick up the elements and minerals in the soil in which they grow. So for example, if the soil was rich in iron or another heavy element it will be transferred to the wood. I have many Custom 24's that while virtually identical, vary in weight by nearly a pound.

My dad and I both have 513s (he just got his and is in love), and they are more than 1.5 lbs different. It shows in the tone, too. Both are amazing, but are very different sounding guitars.

BTW, at 67, he says he finally found his perfect guitar.

I have a CE 22 trem that weighs 8.55. That's more than my non trem McCarty. You can tell as soon as you pick it up.

Trees pick up the elements and minerals in the soil in which they grow. So for example, if the soil was rich in iron or another heavy element it will be transferred to the wood. I have many Custom 24's that while virtually identical, vary in weight by nearly a pound.

Wood density varies with growing conditions, fast, slow primarily but 2 trees of the same species beside each other can have different densities at the same 'height'. Your guitar, my guitar from the same tree may weight vastly different

My bernie is 8.9lbs. If it were lighter by a pound or two it would probably sound near enough the same. Its not a big deal, more is not necessarily better.

Last edited:
Wood density varies with growing conditions, fast, slow primarily but 2 trees of the same species beside each other can have different densities at the same 'height'. Your guitar, my guitar from the same tree may weight vastly different

My bernie is 8.9lbs. If it were lighter by a pound or two it would probably sound near enough the same. Its not a big deal, more is not necessarily better.

Yes there are many other factors that contribute to wood density/weight besides the soil that the tree is found in; such as rainfall, sunlight, growth rate, ratio of heartwood to sapwood and this is all with the same amount of moisture content. In my earlier post I was trying to stress that wood (even of the exact same species) is a product of its environment and subject to whatever nature provides or withholds. Wood from the same tree can even vary in density/weight simply in anatomy.
On the other non-official PRS forum there's a guy that has a Custom 24 that weighs less than 6 pounds. There are others that have Custom 24s that are 9 pounds, so that same combo of mahogany and maple can vary considerably. Most of my guitars with tremolos, both Customs and CEs, come in at the 7 to 8.5 pound range. I have a `90 Custom 24 that weighs just 7.3 pounds and another `90 that is 8.68 pounds with the exact same combination of wood and hardware.

Weight is an interesting topic for guitars. Some think the old Les Paul has to weight a ton and be non-weight relieved, but the fact is the true 59's weigh less than their R9 or R8 counterparts. The old mahogany wasn't as dense as the new stuff (or so I'm told - I'm no expert and have to context to know for sure). My only point is that weight difference, tone difference and sustain difference for a given model is more the luck of the draw than anything IMO.

Different also in a player and a non-player guitar

Wood would.

Also Heard from a friend that it can do a lot of difference if you play the guitar in a regular base versus just keep it in your case for all the time. He told me that the Wood vill be more dense due to vibrations of the strings and tones wich would compress the wooden fibres by time. What is your opinion based on that?

And a Happy New Playing Year to you all, god folks!!! :D :D :D

Also Heard from a friend that it can do a lot of difference if you play the guitar in a regular base versus just keep it in your case for all the time. He told me that the Wood vill be more dense due to vibrations of the strings and tones wich would compress the wooden fibres by time. What is your opinion based on that?

And a Happy New Playing Year to you all, god folks!!! :D :D :D

I'd hack off a section with a chain saw. That will definitely lighten it up.

And Happy New Year all!!!

Back