Weight loss journey

I have gone from 250 lbs. down to 193 lbs. I am another one that has vowed to not break the 200 lbs. mark again. I around 230 lbs. for years and then shot up to 250 lbs. I saw myself in a picture and instantly decided that needed to change. I was starting to get some of the medical issues my parents had. I have reversed those things by losing weight. The first time I stepped on the scale and the number didn't start with a 2 it felt like something was wrong with the scale. I honestly looked at it for a short bit in confusion until it set in.

I still have a little extra on me so I know I could go down more. My wife said I have gone down far enough. She said that if I go down more there won't be much left of me. My next step needs to be to get into moving more. I may have to join a gym again, which I hate, to get this done.

I lost a good amount of weight by going on a low carb diet. I have diabetes on both sides of my family so this was really the best thing I could have done. I have virtually eliminated sugar from my diet. I took my A1C from a pre-diabetic number to being right in the middle of normal. I did as everyone does and hit a plateau. I decided to try intermittent fasting. That kicked things back in gear and got me down to where I am now.

I have gone from 250 lbs. down to 193 lbs. I am another one that has vowed to not break the 200 lbs. mark again. I around 230 lbs. for years and then shot up to 250 lbs. I saw myself in a picture and instantly decided that needed to change. I was starting to get some of the medical issues my parents had. I have reversed those things by losing weight. The first time I stepped on the scale and the number didn't start with a 2 it felt like something was wrong with the scale. I honestly looked at it for a short bit in confusion until it set in.

I still have a little extra on me so I know I could go down more. My wife said I have gone down far enough. She said that if I go down more there won't be much left of me. My next step needs to be to get into moving more. I may have to join a gym again, which I hate, to get this done.

I lost a good amount of weight by going on a low carb diet. I have diabetes on both sides of my family so this was really the best thing I could have done. I have virtually eliminated sugar from my diet. I took my A1C from a pre-diabetic number to being right in the middle of normal. I did as everyone does and hit a plateau. I decided to try intermittent fasting. That kicked things back in gear and got me down to where I am now.

Just don’t fall in the “sweetener” trap. I’ve cut that substance from my diet and I’m starting to remember things again!!

Just don’t fall in the “sweetener” trap. I’ve cut that substance from my diet and I’m starting to remember things again!!
I am not falling into that trap. There are only 3 sweeteners that I will consume and I limit those. I knew that I had to eliminate the sweets and that there was no safe alternative to turn to.

Congratulations on the weight loss!

In 2009 I went from 265 pounds in January to 170 pounds by July 4th. I’ve stayed under 170 ever since and for a while my weight was in the low 150s. My hands got so lean that any PRS neck, like a Wide/Fat, felt thin as a tongue depressor. That’s why I also have 3 Historic Les Pauls!

I’m back around 170 and resumed weight training a few years back, and with more meat on the bone the Wide/Fatties feel good as do the larger necks.

I usually walk at least 6 miles/day of structured walking and consume roughly 2500 calories/day. Everything that lands on my dinner plate must earn it’’s spot nutritionally. I’m age 68, and 5’10”.

Did I really make this statement right before Thanksgiving?!! WTF was I thinking? :oops::eek::rolleyes:

Happy Thanksgiving and eatenup day everybody!
Congratulations on the weight loss!

In 2009 I went from 265 pounds in January to 170 pounds by July 4th. I’ve stayed under 170 ever since and for a while my weight was in the low 150s. My hands got so lean that any PRS neck, like a Wide/Fat, felt thin as a tongue depressor. That’s why I also have 3 Historic Les Pauls!

I’m back around 170 and resumed weight training a few years back, and with more meat on the bone the Wide/Fatties feel good as do the larger necks.

I usually walk at least 6 miles/day of structured walking and consume roughly 2500 calories/day. Everything that lands on my dinner plate must earn it’’s spot nutritionally. I’m age 68, and 5’10”.

I picked up a few during the holiday. I was successful in staying under 200. I was a little worried at one point but made it. I have lost almost everything I picked up.

How did you drop that much weight that fast? I would like to go down a little more but my body seems to like where it is at.

I did get one not so good discovery while I was off for Thanksgiving. I had a couple of things that took the wind out of me that should not have. I am now gym shopping in my area to figure out which one I am going to. I am going to fix this and do it very soon. I have never been this low on the endurance scale. Once I get back up to where I was, I need to make sure to stay there. Hopefully I will tone up some and slim down a little more in the process.

When I retired in March of 2020 I was right around 200 pounds and I felt it.

Been on my treadmill just about everyday since then and I'm down to 163 pounds. Not too bad for a guy who'll be 70 in a few months. Started easy on the treadmill and have slowly worked my way up to 2.5 miles a day with every intention of going further. Can't deny I've got my "trouble/saggy spots" but maybe in time they'll get better.

At this stage in life this single guy is not trying to impress anyone. Just want to feel good!

Since my last post, I bought a gym membership. I have been in there a number of times now. I beat my arms up a little too much last week and am now recovering. I am getting close to being recovered enough to beat them up a bit again. It is amazing how this stuff gets harder as I get older. I have been doing cardio when there. My doctor wanted me to get that in. It has actually made me feel a bit better and my breathing and lung capacity seems to be coming back pretty fast. I am happy about that. Now I just have to get the muscles back in shape, in time.

Congratulations on your weight loss journey! It sounds like you've made some great changes to your lifestyle, including cutting out fast food and increasing your exercise

Since my last post in January, my weight fluctuates between 163 and 165 although I was down to 160 at one point.

I would love to be around 155 which is 10 pounds heavier then when I graduated high school in 1971! I altered my diet and am still on my treadmill at least 5 times a week. Just can't seem to shake those few extra pounds off. But I'm not giving up. I can't stop becoming an old man but darnit, I can stop becoming on overweight old man!

Also started physical therapy for my back and knees about 2 months ago and it's helping. Prior to therapy my left knee was getting bad. Really noticed it when I'm going up the basement stairs. Once I reached the top step it was quite an effort due to the pain but it's gotten a lot better.

Got 2 more weeks of therapy but I do have exercises that I do at home everyday and will continue to do.

Keep trying guys! Glad to hear so many of you are trying to take care of yourselves!

Have a great weekend!

Back