8. "Ramblin' Man" - The Allman Brothers

7. "La Grange" - ZZ Top

6. "Flirtin' With Disaster" - Molly Hatchet

5. "Long Haired Country Boy" - The Charlie Daniels Band

4. "Highway Song" - Blackfoot

3. "Green Grass & Hight Tides" - The Outlaws

2. "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

1. "Can't You See" - The Marshall Tucker Band

I would have said "Train, Train" by Blackfoot for sure.. "Highway Star" is good and was a hit and all that but, "Train, Train" is hands down the superior track. IMHO YMMV blah blah blah...

I don't think a band necessarily needs to be from a certain area to fit into a "cultural" music category. Clapton is considered a Blues player even though he didn't grow up in Mississippi, Memphis, Chicago or any of the other areas with a great Blues tradition, but I don't get the Southern Rock title hung on Humble Pie. But then again, I'm not familiar with everything they have done.

A list of the top ten southern rock songs without Free Bird, c'mon man!..... LOL!

Humble Pie.......southern rock, that's a stretch. The rest are pretty good choices.

Blues is a genre. Southern rock is a genre but also meant ( I thought) to also imply regional flavor. Humble Pie is not a Southern Rock band by any measure. A great band yes, but no Wet Willie.

I watched an interview with a famous rock guitar player, wish I could remember who it was (I think he was British), who said that ALL rock and roll is Southern rock because that's where it all came from.

Anyone who believes that Mountain was a southern rock band hasn't heard anything other than "Missisippi Queen." There was absolutely nothing southern about Mountain. Felix Pappalardi formed Mountain as America's answer to Cream after producing Disreali Gears at Atlantic Records. Felix Pappalardi was killed by his wife in 1983.

Yagsur's Farm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfR6LHvxag

Nantucket Sleighride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0JrV86EKCs

To My Friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV0OUoXalCk

Most Americans believe that "Wishing Well" is a southern rock song because of the Blackfoot cover. However, the tune first appeared on the Free album "Heartbreaker." The song is about Paul Kossoff's love affair with methaqualone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched an interview with a famous rock guitar player, wish I could remember who it was (I think he was British), who said that ALL rock and roll is Southern rock because that's where it all came from.

To a certain degree I would agree with this statement, Rock & Roll as we know it today certainly has deep roots in the south. Take the African rhythms the slaves brought with them along with the traditional European folk music (which morphed into Appalachia mountain music), mix it all together and viola! The south certainly provided the melting pot. After Elvis left the nest, the rest of the world continued to add more spices to the blend and then the British invasion changed everything.

To a certain degree I would agree with this statement, Rock & Roll as we know it today certainly has deep roots in the south. Take the African rhythms the slaves brought with them along with the traditional European folk music (which morphed into Appalachia mountain music), mix it all together and viola! The south certainly provided the melting pot. After Elvis left the nest, the rest of the world continued to add more spices to the blend and then the British invasion changed everything.

Agreed, but even the British invasion was more like a homecoming than an invasion. Almost evey group to surface would cite influences that were grown in Memphis or Mississippi, or Georgia. Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, & Msrs. Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.

Back