We Have A Sex Problem, Houston!

I took Latin in high school and college. Leave it to me to study a dead language.

"It'll come in handy if you study law or medicine."

"Um...maybe not all THAT handy, Virgil and Cicero didn't speak of body parts or legal precepts all that much."

"I blame them, then!"

"I basically took Latin because I liked the movies Ben Hur and Spartacus."

"Do you like movies about gladiators, Les? And tell me, did Virgil or Cicero see those movies?"

"I'll ignore the gladiator question...but I'm gonna say, second run, in Hades."

"But they never had anything written on either topic."

"That we know of! The monks in the Middle Ages who transcribed, copied and kept their work alive may have skipped those pages. However, the Miklos Rosza score to Ben Hur was one of the all time great movie scores, and I know it almost by heart."

"Why??"

"I had my parents buy me the soundtrack album at the theater when we saw the movie. Yeah, I know. What little kid wants the damn soundtrack album?"

"You go back quite a way with this film score obsession, don't ya?"

"Before the invention of motion pictures, I was into Wagner operas. Without Wagner, film scoring as we know it would be quite different. Everyone ripped him off."
I grew up in Rome, so Latin was pretty much a required coarse of study, with all the people speaking Italian and Spanish. It came in handy when I actually went to Italy and Spain as I was able to understand the locals better.

I should mention I grew up in Rome New York, not Rome Italy Same thing really,as we had a St Peters, St Pauls, a big open colloseum and a lot of people speaking Italian.

As for Film Scores, anything by John Williams are the tops for me.

Perhaps because we live in a so-called PC world where its almost necessary to refer to people with their preferred gender identities, I've named my guitars with gender-inclusive identities:

McCarty Black / Gold : "Custodian"
SE A60E Angelus: "Brother"
Silver Sky: "Peekaboo"
Epiphone Sheraton: "@ Work"

Granted, these may not have any gender reference other than the Angelus, but they save me the time and energy trying to explain their relative name reference. Why I named my guitars these, I'm not quite sure. The names just had a certain appeal at the time.

Last edited:
Perhaps because we live in a so-called PC world where its almost necessary to refer to people with their preferred gender identities, I've named my guitars with gender-inclusive identities:

McCarty Black Gold : "Custodian"
SE A60E Angelus: "Brother"
Silver Sky: "Peekaboo"
Epiphone Sheraton: "@ Work"

Granted, these may not have any gender reference other than the Angelus, but they save me the time and energy trying to explain their relative name reference. Why I named my guitars these, I'm not quite sure. The names just had a certain appeal at the time.
I used to be somewhat against naming guitars. Now I'm more laissez-faire.

Did I spell that right? I would hate to be embarrassed by misspelling an important economic concept that's proving to be relatively nonexistent, given the reality of the world's governments.

"You got somethin' against the world's governments?"

"Not at all. Most of them do the best they can, given the futility of controlling their people/leaders/idiots."

"So you're saying there's only futility in most political systems?"

"I'm saying there's a chance."

"That sounds lthe issue is still a thing, instead of futility."

"Give it time."

I used to be somewhat against naming guitars. Now I'm more laissez-faire.

Did I spell that right? I would hate to be embarrassed by misspelling an important economic concept that's proving to be relatively nonexistent, given the reality of the world's governments.

"Not at all. Most of them do the best they can, given the futility of controlling their people/leaders/idiots."

"Give it time."
Nothing a little cleaning and maintenance wouldn't solve. That reminds me...my work ethic this week includes some cleaning and maintenance...

Last edited:
Nothing a little cleaning and maintenance wouldn't solve. That reminds me...my work ethic this week includes some cleaning and maintenance...
Speaking of maintenance, I just changed strings on one of my guitars. I'd be very embarrassed to say how long it's been since I did.

"Four years flies by when you're not paying attention, doesn't it?"

"It hasn't been that long."

"Check your log book."

"I don't keep a log book on string changes, or anything else."

"Perhaps that's your problem!"

I should mention I grew up in Rome New York
Cool, I've been there! Did a snowmobile new model test there in 2009. They get a whack of snow there....

I have to admit, I have (on occasion), referred to more than one of my axes as being female. Not affectionately though. Sometimes my heritage rises to the surface when I'm playing and the term for a female dog issues forth from my gob. Of course, it's actually me that the curse is issued toward. I'm at fault for the erroneous chord or riff. But I can't just immediately take responsibility for it and have to lay blame on an otherwise innocent and inanimate object that can be neither a male, female, or even sentient being. Much as I'd like it to be at times. But then it wouldn't need me to make it sing...
'tis my cross to bear

Speaking of maintenance, I just changed strings on one of my guitars. I'd be very embarrassed to say how long it's been since I did.

"Four years flies by when you're not paying attention, doesn't it?"

"It hasn't been that long."

"Check your log book."

"I don't keep a log book on string changes, or anything else."

"Perhaps that's your problem!"
Yup. IMO, it's the basis that we can appreciate owning nice things. If perhaps you buy something new and shiny, if you want it to keep its value over time you make sure you maintain it and clean it. Certainly there are times when you'll want something you don't need to keep in factory condition, and by contrast if you sold that item, you'd expect to receive what it was worth, less the devaluation from normal use.

Les, you're to be applauded if you keep a log book of maintenance and cleaning for your possessions. I just try to recall the previous time I changed strings, and go with that. (IIRC, the previous time was prior to the time I went out to a friend's house for a jam session, in February). That led to my selling him my Brunetti 1x12 combo for an amp modeler.

Funny thing is, he's still got it. Someday I hope to buy it back from him, and keep it for gigs where a guitar and clean amp is all that's needed.

FTR, I realize the maintenance and cleaning is really an exercise in futility itself. Clean stuff invariably gets dirty, entropy is unforgiving. It really takes time and energy to keep stuff maintained and clean.

.....Now I'm more laissez-faire.

"Give it time."

Hmmmm........

Typo and all.

I'll be honest; this thread is a candidate for 'Dumbest Thread Les Ever Started'.

Oh, it's a coveted award, all right. There's a prize involved, but because it's only about my threads, I always win it.

I know! Not fair, right?
I'm interested in how you would shake your hand while presenting yourself the award for the photo op!

Smiles everyone, Tattoo?

All my guitars got together and decided they all identify as "wishing they had a new owner/player".
Little did I know they had formed a union behind my back.
The union leader (Mira) (figures) told me they were going to go on strike unless I get my schlitz together.
I asked Mira what that meant and all she said was "you'll find out".
Now I'm nervous...
“So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
They say, "The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light"
Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw……”

I hate when wood with no gender forms a union :oops:

Back