We Have A Sex Problem, Houston!

I don't think Naval Vessels should be referred to using the feminine pronoun "She." It's a ship, not a woman, it doesn't look smell, taste or sound like any woman I know or knew.
What if "she" is a submarine and has manholes? Can she be a "she" then? Just joking around with your two cents ;~)) Sorry to hear about your daughter many years ago but glad that her memory lives on in your beautiful HBII!! I have named about half of my 13, some male, some female. The others simply not presented their names to me yet (even though 3 of the unnamed stringed instruments have been in my possession for 30+ years) ;~))

What if "she" is a submarine and has manholes? Can she be a "she" then? Just joking around with your two cents ;~)) Sorry to hear about your daughter many years ago but glad that her memory lives on in your beautiful HBII!! I have named about half of my 13, some male, some female. The others simply not presented their names to me yet (even though 3 of the unnamed stringed instruments have been in my possession for 30+ years) ;~))
Submarines are clearly examples of the male phallus and should only be refered to as Boats. Sounds dingy but that's what we called them in the Navy.

OBTW What's long black and full of........well, we all know the rest of the joke. I think?

My guitars are acoustic or electric. This he/she/we/them crap infers that a guitar is an actual living breathing flesh bag, full of blood and urine, which they are not. With the exception of one, my guitars are named by the factory, CU24, 245, Kestrel, etc. the only names I use are this one, that one, the other one, the red one, or something along those. The exception is the McCarty HBII which I named after the daughter we lost 26 years ago. And while I am ranting, I don't think Naval Vessels should be referred to using the feminine pronoun "She." It's a ship, not a woman, it doesn't look smell, taste or sound like any woman I know or knew.

I'm really not angry, I took my anti-depressant this morning, Just adding my 2 cents to the til.

Hey Horsemeat for Coursemeat.

This he/she/we/them crap infers that a guitar is an actual living breathing flesh bag, full of blood and urine, which they are not.
There's an interesting historical note to make here...

The only other time I've seen humans referred to as a flesh bag full of blood and stuff was reading Marcus Aurelius, philosopher and emperor of Rome in the second century AD, who used to describe himself in that way - thus rejecting the practice of Roman emperors to have themselves deified. Aurelius' book, 'Meditations', is one of the primers of stoic philosophy.

Yeah, I've read it. Which is weird, but not as weird as calling a guitar a gender.

Your point is well taken. An object can't really be something it is not. Though my post was meant for poking a little fun, truth is an inanimate object is an 'it'. It isn't a he, it isn't a she, and it sure isn't a they.

The only other time I've seen humans referred to as a flesh bag full of blood and stuff was reading Marcus Aurelius, philosopher and emperor of Rome in the second century AD, who used to describe himself in that way - thus rejecting the practice of Roman emperors to have themselves deified. Aurelius' book, 'Meditations', is one of the primers of stoic philosophy.

Yeah, I've read it. Which is weird, but not as weird as calling a guitar a gender.

Your point is well taken. An object can't really be something it is not. Though my post was meant for poking a little fun, truth is an inanimate object is an 'it'. It isn't a he, it isn't a she, and it sure isn't a they.

If you told a friend that they had beautiful wood, it could be be a difficult moment.

It’s just easier for all concerned to say:

“Wow she’s a beauty”

Nope ...

As long as guitars are curvy, and with the right contours , even cuddly ...

And make pleasing sounds when they are appropriately stroked ... they are wemin !:cool:

Now ...Bo Diddley's cigar box guitars might pass for the male gender... and see, How many manufacturers make square / boxy guitars ?

Regardless of materials, wood type or whatever... If its curvy... it's a chik ... :)

I don't practice anthropomorphism or personification when thinking about my guitars. However, I am able to empathise with those who do: in some ways I think it romantic.

Individual guitars have unique properties, somewhat like us mammals. They can be described literally by empirical data or by figurative depictions, smilies, metaphors etc. Naming and instrument/assigning it a personality is a way in which some people use to abstractly describe an instrument's characteristics. Some may describe a tone as being "honky" whilst other might describe it as one with a hump around 1-2KHz. Different horses for different courses.

Now ...Bo Diddley's cigar box guitars might pass for the male gender... and see, How many manufacturers make square / boxy guitars ?
Steinberg.

Steinberger+L-2+2.JPG

If you told a friend that they had beautiful wood, it could be be a difficult moment.

It’s just easier for all concerned to say:

“Wow she’s a beauty”
No, it's just as easy to say, "It's beautiful," or, "That's a beautiful guitar." Gender doesn't have to enter into the conversation at all.

Not that I'm against gender; the point of the thread (which I remind you was to kid around) was, "How do you know?"

I'm not gonna say its plageurism, but Marcus frequently copied my answers on exams in our Latin Class.

I'm not gonna say its plageurism, but Marcus frequently copied my answers on exams in our Latin Class.
I took Latin in high school and college. Leave it to me to study a dead language.

"It'll come in handy if you study law or medicine."

"Um...maybe not all THAT handy, Virgil and Cicero didn't speak of body parts or legal precepts all that much."

"I blame them, then!"

"I basically took Latin because I liked the movies Ben Hur and Spartacus."

"Do you like movies about gladiators, Les? And tell me, did Virgil or Cicero see those movies?"

"I'll ignore the gladiator question...but I'm gonna say, second run, in Hades."

"But they never had anything written on either topic."

"That we know of! The monks in the Middle Ages who transcribed, copied and kept their work alive may have skipped those pages. However, the Miklos Rosza score to Ben Hur was one of the all time great movie scores, and I know it almost by heart."

"Why??"

"I had my parents buy me the soundtrack album at the theater when we saw the movie. Yeah, I know. What little kid wants the damn soundtrack album?"

"You go back quite a way with this film score obsession, don't ya?"

"Before the invention of motion pictures, I was into Wagner operas. Without Wagner, film scoring as we know it would be quite different. Everyone ripped him off."

Last edited:
Back