Ways of Checking an Effect's Functionality?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Hi,

Am in the process of reworking my FX board and have encountered a slight problem. My Wampler Ego Compressor's volume pot seems to be slightly scratchy and doesn't increase the volume of the effect appreciably when turned up.

Typically, the compressor's volume level would increase when rotating the volume knob clockwise, but not so much anymore. I'm not sure if it's the volume increase I'm not hearing or the level of the remaining effects in the signal path.

My goal is to use the compressor as a single, clean, lower volume effect separate from my overdrive or boost.

My audio tech suggests that spraying some contact cleaner into the pot may help with the scratchiness, but an oscilloscope test would be one way of checking the volume pot's functionality.

Is there another way of testing the volume pot, other than just listening to the effect and adjusting the knob through my amp?

Am hoping to save some cash and not need a replacement compressor if possible, though this may need to be a consideration.

Just checked the effect once more and realized that it was not the volume knob that was the concern, but the blend and attack knobs being scratchy. The volume knob does increase volume when dialed clockwise.

My audio tech suggests opening the reverse side of the effect and putting some contact cleaner inside the potentiometers and hope they cease their scratchiness.

Am not an electronics guru, but was told to look for some open ports on the potentiometer where cleaner can be applied, then just spray some in there and work the pots around...will let you know my findings once the maintenance is completed...

Back