Wax gloss neck?

Eddie kim

any members here ever wax the back of a glass neck to make it feel smoother? I know a lot of people sand the neck to make it feel smoother, but I wanted to see if there was an alternative way.

Thanks

Eddie

I would say cleaning it would be better than waxing it, over time that wax will build up

I clean and wax. I gig a lot - pretty much every week. After each show, the next day I'll clean the guitar. I'll do the back of the neck with a standard guitar cleaner. Every couple of months - when I notice a neck feeling "gunky" even after cleaning it, I will:

• Clean with a clay bar
  • Use an automotive cleaner
  • Polish
  • Seal
  • Wax
From there, it's all good again for a while. Usually that is done every 40-50 shows. I usually swap guitars every couple of shows. I always intend to use the same one for a run of gigs, but never do. I use my guitars a lot like women use shoes - to accessorize what I am wearing that night, or to match the vibe of bill we're on.....

I clean and wax. I gig a lot - pretty much every week. After each show, the next day I'll clean the guitar. I'll do the back of the neck with a standard guitar cleaner. Every couple of months - when I notice a neck feeling "gunky" even after cleaning it, I will:

• Clean with a clay bar
  • Use an automotive cleaner
  • Polish
  • Seal
  • Wax
From there, it's all good again for a while. Usually that is done every 40-50 shows. I usually swap guitars every couple of shows. I always intend to use the same one for a run of gigs, but never do. I use my guitars a lot like women use shoes - to accessorize what I am wearing that night, or to match the vibe of bill we're on.....

I started doing this when I was playing Custom Shop Jackson Soloists. The paint was nice, deep, and shiny like PRS paint. Being that the guitars were neck-through, and I didn't like how Jackson taped off the neck so I would just order painted necks. At first I was worried this might eventually damage the neck - especially the clay bar. Not in my experience. Essentially, all it was doing (if anything at all) was taking away any built-up containments on the paint - old cleaner and/or wax, hand gunk...stuff like that. It's not like sanding where you are removing paint. Once you learn to use it properly (practice on your car, lol) it is a GREAT cleaning tool.

The rest is like I would do with a car. My Cadillac is VERY shiny and black.....

I started doing this when I was playing Custom Shop Jackson Soloists. The paint was nice, deep, and shiny like PRS paint. Being that the guitars were neck-through, and I didn't like how Jackson taped off the neck so I would just order painted necks. At first I was worried this might eventually damage the neck - especially the clay bar. Not in my experience. Essentially, all it was doing (if anything at all) was taking away any built-up containments on the paint - old cleaner and/or wax, hand gunk...stuff like that. It's not like sanding where you are removing paint. Once you learn to use it properly (practice on your car, lol) it is a GREAT cleaning tool.

The rest is like I would do with a car. My Cadillac is VERY shiny and black.....

Just claying the neck help out a lot. Thanks for the tip

I finish mine off with Meguiar's Cleaner/car wax in the burgundy bottle. The nitro and satin ones get Butcher's wax as a final coat.

Interested to know, does the wax on the neck warm up at all with the friction of your hand and make it sticky at all?

Back