Watches

Brad737

This space for rent...
Hello all,

I saw a thread that Hans started awhile back about wristwatches and enjoyed reading about others' watches. I'm probably as passionate about fine timepieces as I am about guitars. (Well, almost anyway...) I thought it would be fun to post some of our favorites. I certainly have a meager selection compared to most aficionados, but I'm always looking to upgrade my collection. Here is my current stable:

Rolex GMT Master II. I wear this more than any other. Unlike what a lot of folks say, my Rollies keep great time, and are very sturdy.

IMG_8116_zps6447a97d.jpg

Omega Speedmaster Professional. This might be my favorite. If you aren't familiar, back in the 60s, NASA tested a bunch of chronographs from various manufacturers. The Omega came out on top, and was issued to the astronauts. As the caseback says, this is "The first watch worn on the moon".

IMG_8115_zpsa1ce1e55.jpg

Here is my Rolex "Red Submariner". I wear it on a NATO band like James Bond wore on his earlier version Sub in Dr. No. Yes, I'm that cheesy. :)

IMG_8119_zpsbafa9cd9.jpg

Next is my Omega Seamaster Professional. This is known as a "Bond Seamaster" because it's the model that Pierce Brosnan wore in several 007 movies.

IMG_8117_zps1bc23ba2.jpg

Last is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date. This one is a bit of a rarity because the case is 18k gold, while most of them were 14k. I got it as a dress watch, but I really don't wear it much. I'm probably going to sell this one, because there are a couple watches I think I might wear more.

IMG_8114_zpsd6907fdb.jpg

I also have a Rolex "Double Red" Sea Dweller, but it's currently being overhauled. I don't know why, but I can't find any pics of it.

What are you all wearing?

Last edited:
I don't really wear a watch, but when I do it's this Michael Kors... upside down too.

I love watches, but all the ones I really seem to like are a bit out of my price range. Not only that, I tend to bump them around and they get a bit of wear that I'm not too fond of.

But saying that I will rock a Movado that I own every now and then.

I like thick watches, and with the gas lights in them so can read them in the dark without having to expose them to light.
I had a nice Luminox for years, but the crown got messed up and I could only adjust it by pulling out the crown with pliers.

I searched for a new one last year, and in my search I ran across a watch that was four times the brightness of the Luminox.
In fact it may be one of the brightest watches out there, and the name of it reflects that it is proud to be bright :D
ISOBrite T100 Super Bright 200m Dive Watch By ArmourLite
Amazon shows I bought it Sept. 20, so I have had it for a year now.

It is also the most expensive watch I have owned.
This gets worn everyday at work and on the weekends, and it has not got one scratch on it.
Possibly the toughest watch I have owned too.

Here is a comparison of how much brighter it is than my Luminox I had.

isobrite-comparison.gif

insbrite-feature.jpg

Love a good watch...

Pretty stuck in my ways though. Has to be a chronograph with a leather strap. Have a couple of cheap ones that where bought as gifts. Good for wearing when there's a chance of getting it damaged but I need to know the time. But my main squeeze is this particular beauty which is a Citizen Eco Drive. Not their most expensive model by any stretch but it's the most expensive one I've ever owned:

209519d1250599477-citizen-eco-drive-at0550-11x-review-p81829811.jpg

Not my actual watch in the pic but it's the same model.

I've got 3 main watches in rotation; but mainly I wear this one:

Citizen Perpetual Calender Chronograph (a signature collection piece)...
BL5440-58E_full.jpg

After that it's another Citizen Watch; Perpetual Chrono A-T Limited Edition:
1229341_fpx.tif

Finally, a wedding gift from my wife...it's like she knows me!!
2urxjie.gif

Another Citizen Eco-Drive fan here. This one has lasted longer than the Victorinox watches I've purchased in the past, and this Eco-Drive watch cost less money too.

AP1ms8p.jpg

Oh...I neglected to mention my Hamilton Watch; H335150 Automatic...this is the best picture I could find of one online looking quickly:
image-1.jpg

I keep an Omega Seamaster Automatic Chronometer for dressier occasions. I sent it back to be rebuilt a few years ago and grabbed this Tag Aquaracer 500M while it was gone. I prefer it for daily activities because of the rubber bracelet and scratch-resistant bezel.

2015FB37-1268-45C1-80FF-0AC2C49E49F5_zpsjvbbenls.jpg

Last edited:
I got my Rolex in 1981, and used it for many years. Every few years I sent it to the Rolex factory at several hundred bucks a pop for cleaning and refitting. It never kept good time after the first couple of years. I wore it because it was nice looking and frankly a success symbol. I spent more trying to maintain the watch than it originally cost.

It finally occurred to me that the purpose of wearing a watch is to know what time it is.

Never mind that it took me 23 years to figure that out.

So I sold the Rolex and got a Tag Heuer that has kept perfect time for ten years, because good battery watches keep better time than Rolexes. That's the honest truth. Mine's stainless with a rose gold bezel. It looks like a good watch because it is a good watch.

My wife has the Rolex I got her back then, too, and hers doesn't keep good time either. She wears it for every day because she doesn't want to hurt my feelings as it was a gift I got her when our first child was born.

I'll get the Apple Watch next year. Because I like Apple gadgets. OK, maybe I won't. I can't think of a use for it.

Last edited:
I really dig those Eco Drive watches. One of these days I might get one.

I'm still wearing a basic Fossil watch I got 15+ years ago. Stainless steel, glow-in-the dark markers. It's a workhorse.

Not mine, but it's just like it:

FossilBlueAT3206.jpg

I've actually stopped wearing a watch for the most part after decades of always having one on. Ironically, it was my Omega Seamaster that broke the proverbial camel's back - heavy, bulky, not as good at telling time (overall) as the old quartz TAG Heuer F1 that I have. I got sick of the feeling of my arm always being weighted down and ended up just setting it down and liberating myself from watches except for when I hike or bike: then I use an old Timex Ironman for the lap timer.

I have an Breitling B1 since 1999.
I originally bought it with its metal bracelet, but over the years I wear it with a Breitling leather band in the winter, while in the summer I have its cautchuc (spell?) band (the now discontinued one that says Breitling over the lenght of the band).
For Windsurfing I have wore and lost several watches... including some decent Citizen and Casio ones... A cheap Swatch has lasted its second summer of windsurfing this year...

I love the look of that stainless/gold Breitling, 11 top. It's really a beautiful watch.

My next watch will either be a Breitling Montbrillant Datora or a GMT master II.

By the way, Les, I agree that the Tag Heuer quartz movement keeps much better time than the automatics. Even my Omega with the new coaxial movement drifted up to 3 minutes per month. It it's defense, I had gone 7 years without a rebuild.

Back