Was thinking about getting the PRS se A50E acoustic

SYNTHETIKREAL

SE-A50E-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc
Has anyone played the SE A50E Acoustic, how does it match up to the Taylor CE 214e.

I just got an A40E, and THAT was the exact question I had before I bought it. I have several friends with that 214 model of Taylor. I was concerned that the SE would not be in that same category and was wondering if I should drop a good 4 or 500 more bucks for the Taylor.

Well, I went with the PRS. I am pretty satisfied as it is easily as playable (particularly if you are used to playing electric guitars), and the sound is better than the Takamine, Washburn and Applause guitars that I have.

The back and sides wood is different between the series, but the top is the same and the neck is the same. Depending on the sound you are looking for, one may be better suited to your tastes than the others. But for me, this 40 is doing the trick.

I just got an A40E, and THAT was the exact question I had before I bought it. I have several friends with that 214 model of Taylor. I was concerned that the SE would not be in that same category and was wondering if I should drop a good 4 or 500 more bucks for the Taylor.

Well, I went with the PRS. I am pretty satisfied as it is easily as playable (particularly if you are used to playing electric guitars), and the sound is better than the Takamine, Washburn and Applause guitars that I have.

The back and sides wood is different between the series, but the top is the same and the neck is the same. Depending on the sound you are looking for, one may be better suited to your tastes than the others. But for me, this 40 is doing the trick.
Wow that's crazy thanks for that info, the A50E is the same price as the Taylor, and wanted to know what was the better choice. If you're saying the playability is easier than a typical acoustic, that might be the deciding factor. I also love the look of the prs, it has the matteo blue sides and back in a flamed maple

I was looking for a cheap acoustic for some duo gigs that never happened. Wasn't satisfied with the Yamahas, etc - picked up an SE AX20E, which was more than I wanted to spend, but was completely blown away by the playability and tone. So blown away, in fact, that I sold my Taylor 810. Different SE and Taylor, but yeah, the SE acoustics are legit great guitars.

Wow that's crazy thanks for that info, the A50E is the same price as the Taylor, and wanted to know what was the better choice. If you're saying the playability is easier than a typical acoustic, that might be the deciding factor. I also love the look of the prs, it has the matteo blue sides and back in a flamed maple
A friend of mine has that guitar, it plays very smoothly, and in my opinion sounds as good as if not a little better than the Taylor. I have an A55E and it is the best acoustic I have ever handled.

A friend of mine has that guitar, it plays very smoothly, and in my opinion sounds as good as if not a little better than the Taylor. I have an A55E and it is the best acoustic I have ever handled.
Wow that's a good endorsement , gonna get rid if my Washburn and go for the PRS

But my Washburn is an old Cumberland series Deluxe Jumbo. Wayyyy different bottom end than any of my other guitars. So, as we all know, we need one of EVERYTHING....LMAO!
Yess we do.. just in case we need that one guitar for that one job

I have the A50e in sunburst. IMO it is magnificent; I absolutely love it, and can't help but pick it up almost every time I walk by. Playability is what I like most; it plays smooth and fast. Sometimes feels like an electric.

TBH though, I can't give you a good comparison on the Taylor or others. The A50e is the best acoustic I've owned, and when I've played more expensive guitars in shops I haven't felt like they were always set up their best, had their best strings, or had been receiving love.

I have the A50e in sunburst. IMO it is magnificent; I absolutely love it, and can't help but pick it up almost every time I walk by. Playability is what I like most; it plays smooth and fast. Sometimes feels like an electric.

TBH though, I can't give you a good comparison on the Taylor or others. The A50e is the best acoustic I've owned, and when I've played more expensive guitars in shops I haven't felt like they were always set up their best, had their best strings, or had been receiving love.
Hey Woodfin thanks for that ! Honestly I'm still a little torn. Been doing a lot of research. And have talked to a few guitar players that work at guitar centers and they have said that the Taylor was a better instrument and was just as playable. To make it worse I found out about a Cort Gold A6 in that same price range that has similar reviews as the other two. Just looking for the best playability and tone combination

Hey Woodfin thanks for that ! Honestly I'm still a little torn. Been doing a lot of research. And have talked to a few guitar players that work at guitar centers and they have said that the Taylor was a better instrument and was just as playable. To make it worse I found out about a Cort Gold A6 in that same price range that has similar reviews as the other two. Just looking for the best playability and tone combination
You gotta watch those "I work at a --- blah blah blah ---- store" types. Most of them ones that I have known over the years are "name" snobs. (NOT that PRS people aren't either....lmao....we may be "slightly" guilty of that from time to time as well). If you went to a shoe store, the salesman may tell you the $170 Timberlands are wayyy better than the $80 Sketchers. When, generally, they are not. Also, if you are talking about the Taylor 214, the build quality is similar. If you are in the 600 or 800 series, then YEAH, of course the Taylor is better built...but that price point difference is pretty significant at that point.

But again. . out of all of that brand this, build that, the thing that has to happen is that you like what you get. Around here it is difficult to find PRS acoustics in stores just ready to play. EVERYONE has the 200 series from Taylor on the rack. So it may be difficult to A/B them next to each other if that is the same issue where you live.

Hey I really appreciate your honesty. Definitely have that same issue in my area, can't find the two in the same place. Ultimately finding that has the best playability is my main goal. Being that guitar is not my main instrument. I use it for writing and production

As far as the playability goes....I have to go with my PRS. But again, that is coming from someone who mainly play electric. That is because the neck feels just about exactly like the cu22s that I have had with the wide fat neck. And the finish on it is similar as well. I have played several 214 series Taylors as they seem to be one of those "very popular for the price" instruments so several of my friends have them. And yes, they do play great and sound really good. But the PRS seems to sound equally good (though it is slightly different) and, at least to me, plays more like an electric than most acoustics. I put 12s on mine as far as strings if that makes any difference for you.

Here are some short reviews to give you an idea as to sounds of the recent SE models. As you can hear, there are some tonal differences between the options. (If you really want to hear the differences I would suggest wearing headphones to view)

Back