Was anyone not happy eith their S2 594 purchase??

Russ73

I've had my S2 594 thinline for 6 mos now and I'm not totally digging it...I know its killer but seem to always grab my Standard 22s or Mira....am i missing something as everyone raves about this guitar....I got such a good deal ill never be able to replace it if i have sellers remorse...what to do!!!

I like mine. I took it to a 3 hour gig the same day it arrived.

I later bought a Gibson Les Paul Tribute (for the looks, I'm in a Pearl Jam tribute), same kind of price range, but the PRS is much easier to play and probably sounded at least as good even with original pups (I put SD SNS in there, just because). Staying in tune is no problem with the PRS and is still a big issue with my LP. Upper fret access much better, and quite a bit lighter, even thought the LP is weight relieved.

What is surprising (and disappointing) is how easily this PRS is scratched. The back of it looks like I dragged it behind my truck, even though I am pretty careful with guitars and wear no belt. I had 3 other PRS, including two other S2s, and none of them were so easily scratched. I'm flummoxed.

I've had my S2 594 thinline for 6 mos now and I'm not totally digging it...I know its killer but seem to always grab my Standard 22s or Mira....am i missing something as everyone raves about this guitar....I got such a good deal ill never be able to replace it if i have sellers remorse...what to do!!!

What is it about the S22 & Mira that make you grab them over the 594? Perhaps you just prefer (or are more used to) the neck, fingerboard, tuners, controls, etc. on the others, and the McCarty just doesn’t feel “right” to you.

There are lots of guitars that you should love and do but end up playing others more. I have a long list of killer guitars that sounded better on other folks than me.
Including a Modern Eagle II , a couple of Santanas , CU24s ,Miras , SC58 , 305 , DC3 - etc
I have always had issues with shorter scale guitars anything below 25" is hit or miss for me.

I like mine. I took it to a 3 hour gig the same day it arrived.

I later bought a Gibson Les Paul Tribute (for the looks, I'm in a Pearl Jam tribute), same kind of price range, but the PRS is much easier to play and probably sounded at least as good even with original pups (I put SD SNS in there, just because). Staying in tune is no problem with the PRS and is still a big issue with my LP. Upper fret access much better, and quite a bit lighter, even thought the LP is weight relieved.

What is surprising (and disappointing) is how easily this PRS is scratched. The back of it looks like I dragged it behind my truck, even though I am pretty careful with guitars and wear no belt. I had 3 other PRS, including two other S2s, and none of them were so easily scratched. I'm flummoxed.
I own a couple of S2’s as well. Their finish is not their strong point. I find the finish on SE’s better. In my opinion, they chip and scratch very easy. Especially the models with the black backs. But I am am after another S2, so there’s that.

Well to each their own; you seem to have connected more with your other S2s than the 594. I personally love my S2 594 it's my daily driver but I can totally see why it wouldn't be someone's cup of tea (edit: the non locking tuners are a compromise imo).

Stupid question, but have you done a thorough set up? Relief Action Intonation Nut and Pickup Height? I found that after I spent some time getting it to my specs it chimes like the vintage instrument it was meant to emulate. It holds its own against my core :)

Last edited:
I really dig my S2 594 SC. I love the feel of the beefy neck and the factory 58/15 S pickups are okay, but I find that the Core 58/15 LT pickups to be superior. As others have said, it could be something that you prefer on the Mira and Standard like the scale length, control layout, neck carve, the way the guitar balances when played, etc.

I'm much happier now I traded my 594 Thinline for a Vela.

Neck carve is more comfortable for me and sounds much brighter. I don't think the 58/15 S pickups are all that great tbh.

I'm much happier now I traded my 594 Thinline for a Vela.

Neck carve is more comfortable for me and sounds much brighter. I don't think the 58/15 S pickups are all that great tbh.

I will admit, I found the 58/15 S to be a little lackluster in my S2 594, but they sounded quite nice in the SE Hollowbody II that I almost bought over the weekend. Ultimately, I passed in favor of waiting on an SE Hollowbody II with the Piezo system. It's almost like its a totally different set of pickups that are in the S2 594.

I will admit, I found the 58/15 S to be a little lackluster in my S2 594, but they sounded quite nice in the SE Hollowbody II that I almost bought over the weekend. Ultimately, I passed in favor of waiting on an SE Hollowbody II with the Piezo system. It's almost like its a totally different set of pickups that are in the S2 594.

I've heard other people say the same so perhaps I was a bit harsh of the 58/15 S pickups.

and probably sounded at least as good even with original pups (I put SD SNS in there, just because

OK, to make a change just on "general principle" I guess is cool, but I certainly do not find anything not to like about the 58/15S in my Thinline. I have heard good things about the SD Saturday Night Specials" so ... ;)

I do think the 58/15S is a "darker" pickup than say the 85/15... and the relative difference in "brightness" is what people may criticize. ,But I prefer the tonal balance of the 58/15S.

And yes, as noted, they do sound more "robust" in a Hollowbody , but I figure that' s largely due to guitar construction. (being hollow and all )

As for the "delicate " finish on the Thinline ? Well, didn't PRS change to a thinner Nitro like finish as opposed to the heaver (bulletproof) polyurethane (some say tone smothering) finishes on S2's recently ?

I guess its the Nitro finishes , where it all flakes off and looks like it lost a fight with a belt sander ... that "relic" guitars are trying to mimic ...:cool:

I bought my first PRS yesterday. Went in with the intentions of buying an S2 singlecut. It was good, but sounded a bit muddy to my ears. After sampling many many different PRS’ I picked up a wood library singlecut Korina McCarty 594 with the 85/15LT pickups. It could just be the S2 you got. I know not all of these guitars sound the same after trying multiple of the same spec’s guitar. One S2 I tried at another shop sounded incredible, but was sadly sold minutes before I went to buy it the next morning.

I found that the pickup height on my S2 was making the pups sound muddier. I fixed it and am very happy with the results. Here's a sample below recorded straight into my Interface, excuse the shoddy playing I'm not that great o_O (melody from a street guitarist in Cyberpunk 2077). I'm using 11-52 nickel wounds, I believe this is neck pickup only if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is the PRS Core 594 is the best guitar ever made on Planet Earth, period, for reasons of playability, comfort, tonal flexibility, feel, and certain pants deformations while playing. But I've always been curious about the S2 594, since I've always loved the SE flat carved body feel of my first PRS SE Soapbar II. Have you considered a pickup/harness swap? I've changed the electronics on two of my 594s and it opens up a whole new dimension in tone with the same playability that I personally love. I wonder what your S2 doesn't do that you need? Bottom line is follow your gut, play what you like to play. If you're reaching for the Standard 22 or Mira, maybe you need more gain?

I bought my first PRS yesterday. Went in with the intentions of buying an S2 singlecut. It was good, but sounded a bit muddy to my ears. After sampling many many different PRS’ I picked up a wood library singlecut Korina McCarty 594 with the 85/15LT pickups. It could just be the S2 you got. I know not all of these guitars sound the same after trying multiple of the same spec’s guitar. One S2 I tried at another shop sounded incredible, but was sadly sold minutes before I went to buy it the next morning.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

We would all love to see some pics of your new guitar when you can. You could maybe post a new guitar thread (hint hint).

I have the double cut blue love the looks and sound except mine has so much static i don’t play it much can;t figure out what to do it is the s2 594 nitro finish sucks if anyone can help would appreciate it very much

I have the double cut blue love the looks and sound except mine has so much static i don’t play it much can;t figure out what to do it is the s2 594 nitro finish sucks if anyone can help would appreciate it very much
That’s concerning humbuckers are build to deal with that. I would recommend taking it to a tech or luthier who would have a better chance of diagnosing and fixing the issue.

You're not alone. Online, the photos of one I purchased looked pretty good, and at a really good price... Waited a week for delivery, then after just a few minutes of playing on it I knew that it was absolutely NOT for me.

First, and probably the most important aspect was the short scale; getting much beyond the 12th fret was really difficult for my large, aging hands.

Second was the top, which just didn't feel right when playing.

Lastly, the burst finish couldn't help but follow the top carve, and looked so much like the dreaded "Clown-Burst" that I couldn't even think about it without seeing, "Bozo!"

So I arranged to return it, which in itself was a HUGE P*I*A* that lasted two weeks.

Sound wise, it didn't speak to me much. Which was really strange, because the SE version I played at our local shop (currently it only carries the SE line) was fantastic in every way-- except the scale length.

Sometimes a guitar and its player just don't jive-- even when a different one with the same specs works wonderfully. Perhaps there's some psychological explanation, but ultimately it doesn't matter; if you're not happy with it, set it free~

Back