Warmer PUPs for new SE C22

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
Hi! New to the forum... I bought a new SE Custom 22 this week, and find that the guitar is significantly brighter than my 2008 SE C22, which has a much warmer tone, and less "fizz" when using distortion. The guitars are pretty similar, other than the top carve/bevel on the 2017, and the '17 has a trem while the '08 has a wraparound bridge. I've set the new pup heights to match the old. Both set up with 10's.

Anyone else notice the current SE pups being much brighter? Any suggestions for something a little warmer/ less bright? Maybe a Duncan JB/Jazz combo? Open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Probably -- the new 85/15S pups are slightly on the bright side, which is what I think appeals to a lot of people, but granted they're not for everyone.

One recommendation we keep coming back to is, try rolling down the tone control, and dialing in your amp to that -- look at it this way, now you can roll up the tone control when you want to get a little more edge/bite.

On my USA 85/15 bridge pickup, I lowered the treble side and then lowered the B and high E screw poles. That took the high end sting out for me.

More cheap options to try:

Add covers
Try 250k pots
Use the tone knob
Adjust your amp and pedal settings

...try rolling down the tone control, and dialing in your amp to that -- look at it this way, now you can roll up the tone control when you want to get a little more edge/bite.

On my USA 85/15 bridge pickup, I lowered the treble side and then lowered the B and high E screw poles. That took the high end sting out for me.

Excellent suggestions. Pickup height and simple tone control adjustment can go a long way. People tend to forget that tone knob actually twists. ;)

And welcome!

Aside from playing with pickup height, etc. if you're looking for a replacement pickup I would try the Duncan Custom Custom (SH-11). More of a vintage-y vibe with a modern twist (Alnico 2 magnet but higher DCR ~14K). I've heard these are great for providing warmth.

Back