Want To Sample A PRS?

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Well, yes, but I want to actually play it, not play samples.

There's a plug-in company called Soundpaint that has a free piano plug-in. I signed up for that because it's supposed to be really good, but I've never installed it. They've since opened the floodgates on different sample instruments, one of the latest being a PRS.

My theory is:

Never sample an instrument you can actually play.

This is why I'll do sampled violins, woodwinds and horns.

But NEVER guitars.
Years back when every retailer was tryin’ out selling musical instruments I bought a violin at Target.

The young lady at the register who was checking me out asked if I could play, and I replied “how hard could it be? I already taught myself guitar, piano, and drums.” She gave me side-eye and said “good luck”.

I also stick to sample libraries.

Years back when every retailer was tryin’ out selling musical instruments I bought a violin at Target.

The young lady at the register who was checking me out asked if I could play, and I replied “how hard could it be? I already taught myself guitar, piano, and drums.” She gave me side-eye and said “good luck”.

I also stick to sample libraries.
I once learned to play the flute. Or maybe I should say, tried to. I was in college.

It was difficult. I even had one of the music majors in flute give me lessons. I was...passable. But I stick to sample libraries for that, too. Sold my flute and haven't picked one up since 1972. :)

"Wait, you were in college in 1972?"

"A person has to get an education at some point, right?"

"That's too long ago to even imagine."

"For you, maybe. For me...OK, too long ago to even imagine. ;)

School was so much easier back then. Way less to learn.

Exactly. Heck, back then, they hadn't even invented half of this stuff yet.

Oh, you learned a few things. But you learned different stuff, you didn't learn more stuff.

There's more that you didn't learn in college, then or now, or even thousands of years ago, than you did learn.

You two didn't learn the Base 60 Babylonian multiplication tables (not an easy thing, try it without a computer), nor did you learn to read Persian in cuneiform. You didn't learn the history of Chicken Pot Pie. You two didn't learn medicine. You didn't learn Mandarin. You didn't learn law. You didn't learn the rules of South Indian Carnatic classical music. You still don't know how the ancient Romans invented a concrete that cured under water. You didn't learn how to play the oud. You can't design a dome that won't collapse. You can't do an oil painting like my brother. You don't know how to work the low note foot pedals on a classical organ. Where is your knowledge of the etiology of diseases affecting the chimpanzee? You didn't learn how to write or compose like Bach.

You could have learned to become a classical trumpet player in an orchestra. Instead, you chose not to. You could have learned sculpture. You didn't. You could have learned to fly jets.

You can't design a functioning sewage system to save your lives.

Why are you not manufacturing automobiles or autoharps? I'm not seeing you on stages acting or directing. Where is your expertise in metallurgy, or hydraulics? Why did you never learn to read Cicero in the original Latin? What's the difference, philosophically, between Descartes and Sartre?

You don't know how to manufacture a tire. Or aspirin. Or bulletproof glass.

I'm still waiting for your finished novels, gentlemen. I'm not seeing your published papers in subatomic particle research. Why?

You are lost when it comes to running a farm. I'm not seeing you running the New York Stock Exchange, either.

Yet you could have learned all of these things, and an infinite variety of more things, in college during my era. You could have learned them in your era -- but didn't.

So I don't think you learned more stuff than I did.

You learned a few things, a tiny sliver of the pie of knowledge. Perhaps you're a genius, who worked hard. Perhaps you're not, and skated by instead. But in either case, you didn't even scratch the surface of the sum total of human knowledge.

No one does.

So what is your claim to superior learning in college?

Nyah Nyah. ;)

Last edited:
I think I've been honest and upfront about this in the past. I was at college for two things. Girls and basketball! And partying. The learning was just something I had to do to get by while I was there. :)
In that case, I'll be honest and upfront: It'd probably be best to refrain from criticism of someone else's education. When that bandwagon rolls by, tempting as it may be, don't jump on it.

Back