Wall Hanging Guitars

zalAbS7.jpg

Hanging for years and never had a problem!

have I seen this room on YouTube?

Alright masters of showing off PRS guitars on the wall tell me everything good and bad about about hanging guitars. Beyond the obvious like, “buy quality hangers”, some lingering concerns are things like:
-Does extended time hanging weaken the headstock?
-Do I have to worry about chemical interaction with the rubber and finish?
-How much ambient light will fade PRS dye and how quickly?
-Should I be concerned about temperature and humidity control for solid bodies? Hollow bodies?
-Anything else experience dictates as noteworthy
without reading everyone elses replies, I primarily worry about humidity. Humidity is obviously a bigger factor on thin solid wood acoustic guitars but it still impacts both hollow body and solid body electrics. The primary issues i've had with solid bodies is with the neck. Truss rod adjustments are no big deal but i've had fret ends start to poke out the ends of the neck making the guitar much harder to play. I haven't found that they generally tuck themselves back in when humidity returns and in some cases will require fret work to fix. So I no longer hang any guitars.

With that said, a good humidifier will fix this issue. Or you could hang them through spring, summer and fall and put them in the case during the driest winter months. Or you can roll the dice you wont have this issue. It happened only once to me but I learned my lesson and now keep all my guitars in cases or gig bags with those humidpacks.

This also happened to one of my guitar playing friends - to all of his electrics in 1 year. (an SG, a hollow body and a Strat). My other guitar playing friends haven't had any issues but they do keep their hanging guitars in a basement with a humidifier in the winter and dehumidifier in the summer.

I have two Hercules hangers, screwed straight into the wall. No problems. 90 odd per cent of homes in Australia are built with double brick exterior and interior walls.

No need to worry about finding studs.

Some of the set ups in this thread are staggering. Highly jealous.

I'm a wall hanger and that's ok, the guitars that are hanging will for sure get played!

I play guitar I make loud tonez and feedback at all hours.

All my guitars are hanging, sometimes they're played in drawers.

(to the tune of "The Lumberjack Song")

M87jCjb.jpg

Back