Wailers Wednesday

sergiodeblanc

Julian Junior Marvin

P5H9FVk.jpg

Robbie Shakespeare (session musician for The Wailers)

LYAVrmd.jpg

PRS has history with some of the greatest reggae musicians ever, and it feels like the time is right with their “Music Unites” program for us to honor, share, and converse about their music.

The rules are simple: Any song posted must be written, played, produced, sung, or have some connection to a member of The Wailers (past or present).

One Love.

Reggae bass players love the thump of those early PRS basses.

I always enjoy chatting with Junior, he's a cool cat.

Yeah we do. They’re “all ass and no glass” :cool: I’ve been tryin’ to buy one for years and keep getting distracted by the guitars.

Thank you so much for the introduction to him at EXP 2013, Shawn. It was a highlight and an honor to spend a little time with him.

"Waiting In Vain" is one of my all-time favorite songs. Something about it always hits me right in the feels and I get a little teary every time I hear it. Plus bonus points for a great guitar solo...

Such a great song from a great album! I still get goosebumps 30+ years after the first time I heard it.

Edit: Plus, I love the “knocks” in the verse from the line: “It’s been three years since I knocking on your door”

Last edited:

My choice this week. It’s especially powerful once you realize the “she” he’s talking about is an allegory about America.

But this was when they got to a perfect place at being vague, or just really good at hiding their “message” songs within the context of their poppier songs. Versus something like the Exodus album where it was literally one side of heavy tunes, and one side of accessible tunes.

Last edited:
Edit: Plus, I love the “knocks” in the verse from the line: “It’s been three years since I knocking on your door”

Yass! The recording is a masterpiece.

My choice this week. It’s especially powerful once you realize the “she” he’s talking about is an allegory about America.

But this was when they got to a perfect place at being vague, or just really good at hiding their “message” songs within the context of their poppier songs. Versus something like the Exodus album where it was literally one side of heavy tunes, and one side of accessible tunes.

It's probably an odd place to start with Bob's catalog, but that's the first of his albums I heard. In high school all I cared about was guitar solos, so I ignored his music and the other kids with their Legend CD's and their rasta shirts. When I was about 19, I worked with a guy from the Bahamas who was telling me how great Bob and the Wailers are. He let me borrow his Uprising cassette and I went from there.

It's probably an odd place to start with Bob's catalog, but that's the first of his albums I heard. In high school all I cared about was guitar solos, so I ignored his music and the other kids with their Legend CD's and their rasta shirts. When I was about 19, I worked with a guy from the Bahamas who was telling me how great Bob and the Wailers are. He let me borrow his Uprising cassette and I went from there.

Uprising was one of my firsts too, definitely the one I latched onto first, probably because of “Could You Be Loved” and the clavinet, I’ve always had a thing for clavinets.

All in all, I feel it’s a pretty perfect album.

Back