Volume Pedal Question: Ernie Ball VP Jr vs Mission Engineering VM-1?

littlebadboy

Hello all!

I use a Boss GT-100. It has one assignable expression pedal. However, I wanted 2 so I can have a volume control and a 2nd expression pedal. I have a Roland EV-5 that can be assigned as a volume pedal, but I am not happy with it. So, I am thinking of having a real volume pedal to put in front of my GT-100.

I am buying used, because I am poor. I see that my choices that are available to me within budget is an Ernie Ball VP Jr (with a 250k pot) and a Mission Engineering VM-1 (with a 500k pot). I take that these are also the best in the market, so they say.

Anybody with experience with these guys? Which is better? Do the tone pot values matter? I like to do volume swells on clean and dirty. I do not like tone suckers.

Thanks!

If you are using them after a buffer, the pot resistance isn't going to matter, but if they aren't, you will want the 500k, as the 250k will bleed some highs.

I used a VP Jr for many years, until the string inside broke. For the life of me, I couldn’t fix it with a replacement string, it’s just impossible to thread back on to the proper parts. I would avoid it for that reason.

If you can find one used at a good price, the volume pedal with the least tone suck I’ve heard is the Lehle, out of Germany. It’s really great.

I used a VP Jr for many years, until the string inside broke. For the life of me, I couldn’t fix it with a replacement string, it’s just impossible to thread back on to the proper parts. I would avoid it for that reason.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think they spec'd the new batch with kevlar strings. But yeah... it's something to think about.

Back