Volume and Tone per Pickup

My SE has 2 push pull volumes and a master tone. I'd rather have that than 4 knobs. Although the way it's wired, I could take the 3 way out and wire another tone and just blend volumes like a Jazz Bass instead of selecting pickups

Gotcha. Totally agree. I've always been surprised that wasn't something designers dealt with decades ago.

They did, but most makers choose not to use it. Look up "independent volume wiring".

On an SE, you can fit a third knob fairly comfortably in between the two existing ones. Maybe make the first two knobs the volumes and use a stacked pot for the tones or just use a master tone.

I played Gibsons with 4 knobs for about 10 years before switching to Fenders.
I never seemed to "miss" the 2nd volume/tone control with Teles or Strats, but
after picking up a PRS SE Custom 24 (1 volume/1 tone) and then an SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow (1 volume/1 tone),
I began wishing there were at least 2 volumes.
I got a used Gibson SG last summer and scratched that itch. I found an SE SC 245 with the two volume/two tone control setup
and having coming next week.
Best of both worlds!
N31899AC-300x300.jpg

N31899A-300x300.jpg

after picking up a PRS SE Custom 24 (1 volume/1 tone) and then an SE Custom 22 Semi Hollow (1 volume/1 tone),
I got a used Gibson SG last summer and scratched that itch. I found an SE SC 245 with the two volume/two tone control setup
Best of both worlds!
N31899AC-300x300.jpg

N31899A-300x300.jpg

Still a sweet fiddle!

Best of both worlds!
N31899AC-300x300.jpg

N31899A-300x300.jpg
Beautiful guitar!
Excellent point on the Fender vs Gibson difference, which is really a single coil vs humbuckers. I have a John Page, which is Strat-like, but has only one tone and one volume and I'm fine with that. Humbuckers put out a much more harmonically rich signal and the added tone sculpting capabilities of the dual control setup adds a lot.

Back