Volume and Tone per Pickup

Acnestes

"If I can do it, it's not art." - Red Green
One thing about my Custom 24 SE that I would change is the controls, from single tone and volume to separate controls for each pickup.
Perusing the catalog, I see that there are only a few models that offer that configuration, and among the SE's none with a vibrato.
Anyone else pine for extra controls? I wonder if PRS is open to persuasion?

God I hope not! The power of a single pair of knobs is in the simplicity.

If you want additional pots on your guitar, you have the freedom to install them just the way you'd like to do so. You can use concentric pots or break out a router and get creative.

The power of a single pair of knobs is in the simplicity.
The limitation of a single pair of pots is in the simplicity. :)
It's simply a matter of personal taste. I wasn't suggesting discontinuing it.
Concentric pots is a reasonable idea, though the coil splitting would need to be accommodated - a couple of mini toggles, maybe. I'm not about to do much in the way of mods on this particular guitar anyway, which though adequate has unrelated issues of it's own. I was just thinking that it would be nice if they offered the option for those to whom it appeals.

The Tremonti model has what you are looking for, available at a few different price points.

Otherwise, 4 knobs on a doublecut was unheard of until the 594, which is still pretty new in the lineup and hasn't evolved into a trem version yet, other than Private Stock.

I go back and forth. Sometimes I love the 4 knobs, other times I prefer 2. The logical conclusion is of course to own at least one of each. ;)

The Tremonti model has what you are looking for, available at a few different price points.

Otherwise, 4 knobs on a doublecut was unheard of until the 594, which is still pretty new in the lineup and hasn't evolved into a trem version yet, other than Private Stock.

I go back and forth. Sometimes I love the 4 knobs, other times I prefer 2. The logical conclusion is of course to own at least one of each. ;)
I like 4 knobs because it gives a broader tonal palette. Just a for instance, with both pickups selected, you can push an amp into overdrive by turning either one up and each way will produce a different tone.

I'm not that thrilled with the Tremonti body, apart from it having only 22 frets, so I'll plug along until a vibrato (and maybe 2 more frets?) gets added to the 594 and it all trickles down to SE level. Or they up-knob the Custom 24. Or the Santana model would work too!

I do enjoy having a separate Volume for each pickup in my 594 and DGT. I've considered swapping out the Tone control in my CE-22 and Johnny Hiland for just two Volumes. Haven't had the guts to do yet, though.

I do enjoy having a separate Volume for each pickup in my 594 and DGT. I've considered swapping out the Tone control in my CE-22 and Johnny Hiland for just two Volumes. Haven't had the guts to do yet, though.
Tim S.' suggestion of using concentric pots isn't the worst idea in the world for doing that. Still have to deal with the coil splitting, though. I could personally live with drilling a hole or two for mini-toggles but it gets messy when you start putting knobs where they weren't really designed to go.

I never liked the dual control layout. That's just me though.

If I had to do it I would wish for one vol to control one and not shut both off when at zero.

There is justification for both. I was a strictly 2 knob guy until I got my first 594 and it opened my eyes. I have a 4-knob telecaster and I prefer the 2-knob confignon that style, but I sure love being able to sweet-spot the middle position. More neck? More bridge? No problem.

The Tremonti is a fabulous instrument. I don’t prefer ceramic magnet guitar pickups, so I put a set of BKP Mule/Riff Raff in my Tremonti and it’s awesome.

I like the 4 knob + 3 way switch layout for everything... except how quickly I can split the pickups when playing live. For some reason I just need an extra second or two to find and pull the tone pot.
2 knob + 5 way blade for me is just easier to quickly switch between sounds

I dig the 4 knob layout in the studio. My 594 gets a lot of recording action these days. The textures available are very subtle and fun to work with. My SC245 is a 4 knobber with push/push tones. Again, it's getting a lot of studio use. Today I am using it to record my smooth jazz version of the Christmas WHAM!! classic "Last Christmas." The tones are extraordinary!!

Live is a whole other story. I could have a single volume and a three way blade and be totally content. No textures onstage, lol!!! It's balls-to-the-wall, face melting rock. Who needs the tone knob when everything is on TEN?!?!?!?!

If I had to do it I would wish for one vol to control one and not shut both off when at zero.
Interesting concept. Which pickup would you put the vol. control on?

One thing about my Custom 24 SE that I would change is the controls, from single tone and volume to separate controls for each pickup.
Perusing the catalog, I see that there are only a few models that offer that configuration, and among the SE's none with a vibrato.

I've thought the same for my SE Cu 24, and like the concentric pots. I would give up coil splits in order to have two vols.

I have a bass that uses a pan pot to blend its two pickups, one volume & one tone - Those 3 knobs are pretty effective.

Last edited:
I have a bass that uses a pan pot to blend its two pickups, one volume & one tone - Those 3 knobs are pretty effective.
Yes! I have an Ibanez bass set up like that that also has a coil tap on the treble pickup. Very versatile. Once again, I've been surprised that more manufacturers haven't looked at that option. I don't recall ever having seen it on a guitar.

I have a suggestion with a trem and 2 seperate volume knobs. The DGT
Attractive, but only 22 frets plus it's a Core model, and for that money it would have to have 100% of what I want.

Back