Vive la Difference! - '15 McCarty WL Maple Neck, 58/15s

Beautiful Les! Love your description, too. You didn't mention what the back is made of, but I will look for it in the other thread.

Now you've got me re-thinking neck woods, drat! I so had my mind set on cocobolo with an ebony fretboard. Thoughts on that combination?

Hey Les...that is one helluva foxy fiddle...and an excellent accompanying write up as well! Any specific upcoming projects you might have her earmarked for?

Beautiful Les! Love your description, too. You didn't mention what the back is made of, but I will look for it in the other thread.

Now you've got me re-thinking neck woods, drat! I so had my mind set on cocobolo with an ebony fretboard. Thoughts on that combination?

Sorry, the back wood is ribbon mahogany. Gorgeous and light weight. I'll get some pics up ASAP.

You know what, I love the warm tone of cocobolo, and with ebony it'd be pretty cool. Maple is bright and snappy, it's really almost the opposite kind of thing.

For me, a maple neck guitar is very much a complete change of pace from the mahogany I usually go with, and that I feel a little more comfortable with. As an example, I'll have to learn to dial in my amps differently with this guitar. I'm still very much in the experimental stage.

That may change over time, but for now it's a science experiment. ;)

Hey Les...that is one helluva foxy fiddle...and an excellent accompanying write up as well! Any specific upcoming projects you might have her earmarked for?

Not really! I'm still in the learning stage with this one. It has a beautiful sound, but I have a lot of work to do with it before I'll feel confident enough to use it on a session.

Last edited:
Congrats that is an outstanding looking guitar can only imagine the sound :)

Les, you have great taste in guitars and I always love your reviews! I definitely concur with you about how much of an effect neck wood makes on tone!

Beautiful McCarty; play it in good health! :)

That is an unbelievable guitar, Schefman. The neck wood species, grain orientation and neck carve are undeniably at the spinal cord of guitar tone. Sounds like you're pleased with your selection. Enjoy!

Nice guitar. I know some people don't like the combination of a maple neck and mahogany body but I think it sounds great, especially with dubious amounts of gain :D.

I am a bit late to the party, but congrats on your new guitar! If anyone can make a comeback and get those fingers moving again, I am sure you can. All the best.
Now I am thinking about maple necks and rosewood fretboards

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar, guys!

I practiced for quite a while today with the it, and a good chunk of that time was on the neck pickup. For some reason, neck pickups on a maple neck guitar really float my boat. I mentioned that "flute tone" resonance in my initial post in the thread, and it's there in spades on this guitar. With the DG30 amp, I put it to good use today. Turns out I didn't really have to set the amp up all that differently than I do with the CU24 30th; all I had to do was flick off the bright switch, and boom! I was happening!

Also, despite the fact that the CU24 with the 85/15s is acoustically a warmer sounding instrument due to the 'hog neck, I do hear differences between the 85/15 and 58/15 pickups now that I'm a little more used to the sound of the McCarty, including both guitars back to back unplugged and amplified. Again, hard to quantify this given so many differences between the two instruments, but the 58/15s seem a little rounder - sorry, not a vivid descriptor, but it's the only way I can put it given such different instruments.

Maybe because I'm more used to hearing a maple neck guitar with a cleaner, more American style amp, the DG30 seems to have the edge with this particular guitar over the HXDA. An amp that's even more Fender-like would probably also be a great match for it, perhaps something like a BF or tweed Twin, or even a Lone Star type amp. Etc.

So that's it - the thoughts on the guitar for today!

What finish is that? Gorgeous!

It's Black Gold, non-burst. Jack, who spec'd it, tells me that it's less dark than the usual Black Gold instruments because of the East Coast maple.

Nice! I'm spec'ing out a P245 SH right now and trying to decide on a finish - I like the Autumn Sky and Black Gold - but like your's with no burst...

Nice! I'm spec'ing out a P245 SH right now and trying to decide on a finish - I like the Autumn Sky and Black Gold - but like your's with no burst...

I actually prefer a burst! I love a good burst finish, but it wasn't available on the one I got.

That's an awesome initial review, Les. Sounds like a great new guitar to get to know. It's funny...your review made me think about how long it's been since I've just spent quality time with my guitar by myself. So much of my time is spent in a band setting and I've been so busy at home that I just haven't explored any of my guitars in a really long time. I need to make the time. So thanks for inadvertently getting me to realize that. Carry on, and happy NGD!

No probs, OP - look forward to when you can do a video/sound clip.

For me (personally) a PRS isn't a PRS unless it has a satin neck. I like the look of RW necks but maple is just the absolute killer and it's cool that we're on the same page there. I completely get what you mean about light snappiness and the flute-like tone. It wouldn't be the same it the neck was lacquered in any sort of way. I reckon. Enjoy!

Les you sure know how to pick'em, that specimen is so gorgeous to the point that your other guitars will turn so green with envy

I wish you speedy recovery and can't wait for your demo brother :beer:

No probs, OP - look forward to when you can do a video/sound clip.

For me (personally) a PRS isn't a PRS unless it has a satin neck. I like the look of RW necks but maple is just the absolute killer and it's cool that we're on the same page there. I completely get what you mean about light snappiness and the flute-like tone. It wouldn't be the same it the neck was lacquered in any sort of way. I reckon. Enjoy!

From what I've learned over the years, satin maple necks are lacquered, they're just using a different type of lacquer that they don't polish out.

This McCarty has whatever satin-type finish they're now using on the maple necks, it's a very thin finish with a UV cure. It's different from the nitro satin necks that were used back when I had my CU22 Soapbar and SAS, but I couldn't tell you what is actually used. I should have asked when I was at the PRS 30th event, but there were just so many questions to ask I couldn't remember them all, and of course I didn't have this particular guitar at the time.

I do like the tone and feel of RW necks, too. And I love a good mahogany neck! It's wonderful how PRS is able to get such a cool variety of tones with the woods they select, and that we actually have the opportunity to get them!

Les you sure know how to pick'em, that specimen is so gorgeous to the point that your other guitars will turn so green with envy

I wish you speedy recovery and can't wait for your demo brother :beer:

Thanks so much! I feel really, really lucky to have these instruments. :shakehands:

Last edited:
Back