VINYL

james

Administrator
Staff member
I have a feeling there's a healthy collection somewhere amongst members here. Have you hung on? Sold the entire collection?

I just played a French rock 7" that I've played many times...still cannot figure out whether it's a 45 or not.

Still have all my albums. About 250-300, from the late 60's till CDs hit the scene...

Built up quite a healthy collection, and growing all the time. Mostly new stuff, but some old hand-me-downs and record store finds in there too. Besides guitars, collecting vinyl is my other obsession. Spin 'em on a Rega RP3, can't recommend it enough!

241828_10102358017386074_1950106826_o.jpg

Nice! I have a white Rega too. (And want a Starla and Mira) instant bros

Still have all my vinyl, including 45s. Then again, I still have my 8-tracks, too. Have a couple cabinets that are pretty much all vinyl (although some CD box set have infringed).

I had (what some would consider) a record "habit" in the early to mid 70's. Collected over 700 albums during this time, never thinking that the vinyl format would someday be perceived as "old school" technology.

I still have my entire record collection.......packed away in boxes.

I have lots of classic rock on vinyl. My general theory is, if it was written with vinyl in mind, I prefer to listen to it that way.

I've still got most of my old stuff though several choice pieces (ex, original master recording of Dark Side of the Moon) disappeared sometime in the late 80's and 90's while it was stored at my mother's house. I've been adding a lot to the collection over the last few years.

It's kind of funny how many older albms are getting the reissue treatment, from the Beatles catalog and Pink Floyd, to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against the Machine.

It's kind of funny how many older albms are getting the reissue treatment, from the Beatles catalog and Pink Floyd, to stuff like Smashing Pumpkins and Rage Against the Machine.

Sales are up year after year, and for the record companies, vinyl is the only growth market out there for 'physical' music. And, they can still charge you for all 12 songs, as opposed to one or two with digital downloads. Plus, for people like me who are nuts about a lot of 90s music (which tends to be some of the highest $$ vinyl out there), the companies are making money again from catalogs they already own that really haven't produced revenue for them in years. When's the last time you think someone got excited to run out and pick up a copy of Mellon Collie? I'm guessing it's been a WHILE. Meanwhile, a $75 MC vinyl box set is gonna release in a week, probably to sell thousands of copies. (Myself being purchaser).

Sales are up year after year, and for the record companies, vinyl is the only growth market out there for 'physical' music. And, they can still charge you for all 12 songs, as opposed to one or two with digital downloads. Plus, for people like me who are nuts about a lot of 90s music (which tends to be some of the highest $$ vinyl out there), the companies are making money again from catalogs they already own that really haven't produced revenue for them in years. When's the last time you think someone got excited to run out and pick up a copy of Mellon Collie? I'm guessing it's been a WHILE. Meanwhile, a $75 MC vinyl box set is gonna release in a week, probably to sell thousands of copies. (Myself being purchaser).

Actually Mellon Collie has always been very expensive. Original copies fetch up to 300.00. I'm glad that it's being reissued next week, I pre-ordered mine through Amazon for 40.00 :) Even though they're selling for a very high price it'll still probably sell pretty well I think.

I've got most of my vinyl dating back to 1969 or so...but my son recently asked me to ship him some of his favorites, so I packed him a big box o' stuff he likes.

I work mainly in digital due to how the business has changed over the years, but I love listening to analog.

I don't even want to think about counting my LPs now, but the last time I did count them back in the mid 90's I had just under a thousand. It's probably around the same amount now, because for many years my main focus has been on CDs. I moved in 2007, and at that time just my music was good for almost two full loads in the bed of a fullsize '87 Dodge pickup. I had so many albums and CDs (and refused to part with any of them) that it was a constant bone of contention between the ex and myself.

Guess what side won out?!?! :rofl:

When CDs first hit, I did what I suspect many others did; I bought duplicates of things I had on vinyl. I don't do much of that now, and haven't for years. Matter of fact, I don't buy anywhere near the music now that I did in the past because I simply can't afford it. But there was a time when the people at the music stores would welcome me at the door, go buy me a Coke, and start counting their sales in their heads. One of the big chains back then was Sound Warehouse, and a buddy of mine from high school worked in one here. I practically lived in that sucker. I cried when they closed down.

Totals? LPs = 900 to 1000; CDs = 2000 or so; Cassettes, 45s, Flexidiscs = 200ish

Goldtop

P.S. - Does anybody else remember those special edition Gold CDs? Used some sort of gold colored plating on the metal (supposedly real gold) instead of the silvery whatever? I loved those things. I swore they sounded better, like a step up the ladder between a CD and vinyl.

Actually Mellon Collie has always been very expensive. Original copies fetch up to 300.00. I'm glad that it's being reissued next week, I pre-ordered mine through Amazon for 40.00 :) Even though they're selling for a very high price it'll still probably sell pretty well I think.

That it has, I guess what I meant there was excited to go out and buy a CD of Mellon Collie, or a digital download for that matter. I got my order in for just under $40 too. I'm guessing you ordered it on Canadian Amazon for that way cheap price? People have always been nuts about this album, it will sell extremely well, even at the high price. I'm excited to see the package in hand, it sure looks great!

Back