Vinyl Collectors

Plugske

You plug it in, it turns you on.
Was wondering if there are any vinyl collectors here?

Have been collecting for about 15 years now. As I grew up with the CD there was a lot to catch up with. What was your first record to buy or get as a present and what are the gems in your collection?

My first record was "Making Movies - Dire Straits"

Couple of my gems:
First press "Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin", yes the turquoise one. :)
Inherited this copy from a friend of mine who passed away much too early.

"Curtis Knight Zeus - The Second Coming"
Awesome record with the young and still unknown, at that time, "Fast "Eddie Clarke.

Been collecting for about 15 years, too. Here's my setup with all thrifted vintage gear.

LadHWFs.jpg

Nice collection already! What is your favorite one at the moment?

Most of my records I stored at my parents place back in the Netherlands while moving to Sweden. Had to limit myself to one box, which became two boxes of course due to space in the van. Was way to difficult to choose on what to take and what to keep in storage.

Having a setup with an older Pioneer amplifier, Rega RP1 pick up and Totem Mite speakers.

Most of my collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/StonyMoose/collection
There are still records that needs to be added.

I just got back into vinyl after a 32 year drought. Sold all I had in 87 when I moved from Iowa to Chicago. I was on to cassettes and CDs. Plus I was 20 and dumb. Oh to have all of those old records back.

Anyway, I’m not jumping in with both feet. Just buying one here and there. So far, I have the 40th anniversary box sets of 2112, Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres, David Gilmour Live At Pompei, ABB Live At Fillmore East, Derek and the Dominos Layla and Assorted Love Songs, and Are You Experienced.

Playing them through a new Audio Technica turntable and my Yamaha monitors.

I have quite a bit of vinyl, but haven’t bought any for myself this century.
I also have a collection my brother left behind when he moved to the US in the late 80s.

I did buy some starters when I gave my daughter a turntable. The Doors, Bob Marley and NIN to give her a bit of range.

@bodia If only we knew then what we know now...

Wished I would have started collecting much earlier. Especially during the 90's where the sales of records was almost at the lowest point there were some awesome ones with outstanding quality. Tom Petty's Wildflowers (1994) is one I would really like to have, prices start around $400 up to $900 for a sealed one.:eek: The same year The Eagles brought out "Hell Freezes Over" prices start at $200 up to $600 for a sealed one. Although it has been repressed the sound quality of the repressed vinyl was really poor. Had it washed on my washer and was still full of noises. Couldn't stand listening to it and was able to return it to my local record store.

With pricing going through the roof for certain records it is better to hold back on it and indeed buy one every here and there.

I just got back into vinyl after a 32 year drought. Sold all I had in 87 when I moved from Iowa to Chicago. I was on to cassettes and CDs. Plus I was 20 and dumb. Oh to have all of those old records back.

Anyway, I’m not jumping in with both feet. Just buying one here and there. So far, I have the 40th anniversary box sets of 2112, Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres, David Gilmour Live At Pompei, ABB Live At Fillmore East, Derek and the Dominos Layla and Assorted Love Songs, and Are You Experienced.

Playing them through a new Audio Technica turntable and my Yamaha monitors.

I still have my Denon separates in the attic and B&W speakers. Every time I think of effectively giving them away for what these achieve I remind myself of what you and @Plugske have written. After all I need something to play my original copies of Dio, MSG and David Coverdale on.

Ive got some annual leave soon, I think they might come out of the attic and I might treat myself to this to keep the space needed down.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401987967808

I still have my Denon separates in the attic and B&W speakers. Every time I think of effectively giving them away for what these achieve I remind myself of what you and @Plugske have written. After all I need something to play my original copies of Dio, MSG and David Coverdale on.

Ive got some annual leave soon, I think they might come out of the attic and I might treat myself to this to keep the space needed down.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401987967808
I say, do it,

Marrilion is awesome, have got a few of their records. In my opinion, the live "Real to Reel" is one of their best. "Forgotten Sons" can be on a constant loop, no problems with that!

Marrilion is awesome, have got a few of their records. In my opinion, the live "Real to Reel" is one of their best. "Forgotten Sons" can be on a constant loop, no problems with that!
I have all of the 'Fish' era material that can be found in the states. And probably 90% of the Hogarth stuff. I saw them live 2 years ago (Finally) amazing show.

I still have 100+ old records, plus a few I've bought recently. I love the artwork, but even after just a few plays, pops and noise start to show up.
Give me a hi-res FLAC or DSD file over vinyl any day!

I say, do it,

Thanks bro, I think I will.

I have about 2 grand invested Picture Discs, Colored Vinyl and Shaped Vinyl from a couple different groups. Probably 90% of those come from Marillion. I also have quite a few bootlegs from them. All are rare, more so here in the states.

I think I have Kayleigh on original single.

I'm more of a hobbyist and just started getting back into vinyl. I bought a vintage 80's system off of nextdoor then added an Audio Technica turntable. I probably had 20-30 of my own records from back in the day, but I also inherited my Dad's collection, so it's now around 100 or so albums. I've also been hitting a vintage record store here in town and buying stuff that I had passed over or had on cd/cassette back in the day. I thoroughly enjoy grabbing an adult beverage, my headphones and relaxing while listening to a couple sides of albums before I go to bed.

I wouldn't call myself a collector. I have almost all the vinyl I've ever bought going back to the early 70s (had to sell some stuff in the late 80s/early 90s to replace a CD player, and I still regret some of the pieces that left). I'll occasionally pick up some new vinyl from Record Store Day, or the occasional release from an artist that is just too cool to pass up. Especially if it's something that is not actually on CD (Ghost's recent "Seven Inches Of Satanic Panic" - a 'reissue' of their 'single from 1969' - and Greg Holden's most recent LP are examples). I have picked up a couple things that I just wanted to have, like an original pressing of the Kiss debut album without "Kissin' Time" on it, and a copy of the Zappa "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore" promo that has something like 20 seconds of music that's not available elsewhere (yeah, I know). I have a couple pieces that are framed and hanging on the wall - Gary Moore's "Victims Of The Future", signed, which I picked up at a local radio charity thing for the astronomical price of $5. And Johnny Cash's "At Folsom Prison", signed by the man the only time I ever met him.

Right now, I have - sorta - five turntables. I have my Technics linear tracking turntable from about 30 years. Had to get it fixed about four or five years ago. I have my wife's old Technics turntable, which I just found out doesn't work. I have a turntable that my mother-in-law gave me after my father-in-law died. That'll replace my wife's old one. He also had a nicer turntable that needs some stuff, but I haven't sorted out exactly what yet. That's at my MIL's house. And in our garage, we have a turntable that needs a cartridge. It was left behind at the first house we bought in 1987. I kept it because it plays 78s. I haven't looked at it in forever, but someday...

I've been bitten by the bug over the last few years as well. Same story as many here: had a ton, got rid of them when CD came around, trying to get some (most) of them back.

A lot of times when I'm trying to get nuances of someones songs under my own fingers, I like to listen to the vinyl version a few times to really hear what's going on.

Me on Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/user/DougUSMC

My current woodworking project is trying to recreate a retro record player cabine that matches the older furniture in my office.

Back