Vintage yellow.

When I saw this thread, and looked at your guitar, Kingsley, I thought, "Wow I love that color, it's just classic, I should get one in VY."

I often say I don't look at mine much, I just play 'em...it didn't even occur to me that I actually have a VY Cu24!! I was playing it this morning and thought, "Wow, this is VY, I should post it in Kingsley's thread!" So here it is. Vintage Yellow.

Gorgeous. Does this guitar have a cherry back? It looks like it does not, from the cutaway. That would mean it is Santana Yellow, correct? I love both colors and have both, and only Vintage Yellow has the red cherry back and neck.

Gorgeous! I actually prefer this color than the original vintage yellow.

That looks like the new PRS color "honey".

When I saw this thread, and looked at your guitar, Kingsley, I thought, "Wow I love that color, it's just classic, I should get one in VY."

I often say I don't look at mine much, I just play 'em...it didn't even occur to me that I actually have a VY Cu24!! I was playing it this morning and thought, "Wow, this is VY, I should post it in Kingsley's thread!" So here it is. Vintage Yellow.

I love that color...but not with the red back. My favorite is with the natural Mahogany back.

Gorgeous. Does this guitar have a cherry back? It looks like it does not, from the cutaway. That would mean it is Santana Yellow, correct? I love both colors and have both, and only Vintage Yellow has the red cherry back and neck.

Actually, it doesn't have a cherry back, but it's Vintage Yellow, not Santana Yellow. This run was only available in 3 colors: Vintage Yellow, Royal Blue, and Scarlet Red, the colors associated with some of the earliest PRS ads (a picture from an early ad with the three colors was later embroidered onto the PRS leather jackets that were available in the PRS Store a long time ago).

Here's the spec:

http://prsguitars.com/privatestock30thanniversarycustom24/

Mine is identical to the one on the website.

Could be the way it looks in the picture. In person, Honey is a lighter, less yellow, color.

Neither the color of the guitar, nor the color of the back, factored into my decision to buy it. Nor did I care about the top not being my preferred flame top.

What happened was that out of curiosity I asked my dealer what this model sounded like. I figured maybe I'd order one in regular PS, or maybe even get a Core version.

So he sent me an audio clip played through a PRS amp like one of the ones I have. Plus a clip of a Core version, that sounded similar, but different.

I don't remember if it was an HXDA or the Grissom amp, but I was floored. I've played a ton of CU24s, and owned more than one in the early 90s, but I have never played one that sounded like this one. It's killer. I realized that it might be just one of those magic guitars, and it'd be a mistake to get anything else; you have to get the one that floors you or you can miss the boat. That was my thinking, anyway.

The minute I heard it, I was toast. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. The top, the color, the trim, etc., didn't matter once I heard it. I was a goner.

In fact, I've used it on a bunch of ad projects, and it's never let me down in any way. The thing always sounds great, especially on solos where it has just the right amount of cut, combined with a beautifully round voice with a rich midrange that I quite love. It's the perfect compliment to an overdriven amp, since it never mushes out. Great instrument!

While I've come to appreciate the way it looks, I'd have bought it even it it was blue (sorry Sergio!).

Last edited:
Took some new shots of my 90 studio yesterday.
GWStudio%20%284%20of%207%29.jpg

GWStudio%20%287%20of%207%29.jpg

Back