Vintage Style Tuners to Replace Phase IIs?

GoBeavs68

Hi all,

Can anyone point me to a thread or suggest a “Kluson Style” locking tuner that fits a Phase II footprint?

I have a Standard 22 (2006 satin mahogany jars tail model) that I think would look great with a set of vintage tulip tuners, but Klusons are all two screw mount while phase 2s are single offset screw mount.

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Pretty much going to have to put screw holes in it for those vintage style keys. Plus you'll need conversion bushings since the old style tuners have a narrower post.

Another option is Hipshot tuners. They have a tulip button option and they also do their universal mounting plate so you don't have to make any new holes.

Actually, those Hipshot tulip buttons might even fit the Phase II gears. Worth looking into.

Hi all,

Can anyone point me to a thread or suggest a “Kluson Style” locking tuner that fits a Phase II footprint?

I have a Standard 22 (2006 satin mahogany jars tail model) that I think would look great with a set of vintage tulip tuners, but Klusons are all two screw mount while phase 2s are single offset screw mount.

Thanks for any tips in advance.
Can't you just replace the tuner buttons with tulip button? This way you can leave the phase ll inplace.

Can't you just replace the tuner buttons with tulip button? This way you can leave the phase ll inplace.

Thanks honestly my first choice, but it appears (to me) that the shaft for the tulip style are longer than regular buttons. I could be wrong though. Haven’t been able to find a set of just the tulip buttons on Reverb. I’ll try allparts. Thank you.

Looks like Schaller buttons are the “only” direct fit for phase II. At least from reading a few threads on here.

Can anyone confirm this or can I get away with spertzel buttons?

Recently someone was asking the same question for a Bernie SE. It may be of some help, but the rear of the headstock will probably need to be drilled and then likely not an option.

Both Kluson and Gotoh make alternatives, but as I said they would require fettling, so probably not an option.

As Garrett said, Hipshot may be the way to go and you know you’re getting a great product that looks pretty sexy too!

Happy hunting

Back