Vibrato - SE vs Core vs Mann

I'm considering upgrading the bridge on my S2 Std24. The stock one works fine... mostly just curious.

Anyway, what sonic/functional difference can I expect out of an SE vs Core or Mann?

Opinions on a Mann replacement bridge vs block and saddle kit?

I´ve got something for the discussion.

German research on the impact of saddle material to the electrified sound:

I have 2 mann trems. I noticed a big difference on my cu24 but no difference on my ce24. They look cool as hell. DO IT!

To me, it sounds like they all sound the same... but, I've seen enough YouTube clips to know that there's lots of stuff I can hear/feel in person that doesn't translate through YouTube.

I can't understand German, but I'm curious to know what the guys in the video thought?

What we hear - despite microphone technology - is that unplugged there are differences in sound of each saddle material. But amped there is no. Aswell with an other string gauge.
The witnesses laugh out loud because they expected tonally differences - at present not recorded as we YT-watchers do - and there is no difference.
Okay, it´s a complete other topic, but that is the same experience I had with 4 513 guitars (one a 513 RW, three 513 MT): Unplugged the three MTs sound equal with a brighter sound, the RW sounded more balanced in bass, mid, treble.
Amped you can´t name a difference by the neck material.

Amped you can´t name a difference by the neck material.

There was a difference between my maple neck McCarty and my mahogany neck McCarty that was clearly distinguishable amplified, especially clean. I also had a maple fretboard Custom 22 Soapbar that sounded clearly different amplified from my rosewood fretboard Custom 22 Soapbar.

Same with a mahogany neck McCarty vs a McCarty with a rosewood neck. Clearly different, even amplified.

So I don't get this...????

Sorry, Maerti, I agree with Les. Also remember, most of us play humbuckers in our PRS guitars. This was done with single coils. As Paul himself says, "Everything affects everything."

I agree with you that sound is a association chain of several items. Direct influence meets moderative (enhancing or lowering). Let's focus on pickups: Narrofields vs. 408s vs. pair of 513s vs. Normal formate of humbuckers. As a general statement it's said that the magnetic field is smaller by the lower dimension of a pickup. This affects the sound. Is that this singular rule? Could that be? What is with the form of the magnets? The type? The diameter of the wire and number of windings?
Does - on the same guitar and pup position - a smaller HB pickup sound the same if the assumed smaller magnetic field is compensated by a smaller distance to the strings?

Most of my trem-equipped guitars have John Mann bridges. I can't hear a difference. I just like having the original design.

Walter Kraushaar definitely has a point. Although the guy may seem quirky at times, he really knows his sh@t. If you ever have the chance to play one of his guitars you'd be surprised.

An upgrade is an upgrade, how much of one depends where you're starting from eg I put a callaham bridge kit in my mexican strat and it made a notable positive difference (that hardware <<< prs se/s2)

So I'd say, go for it if you have the coin. I don't think you'd regret it

Back