Vibrato: Expression or Total Spazz?

Discussion in 'Studio & Stage' started by sergiodeblanc, Aug 6, 2019.

?

Is your vibrato:

1. Heartfelt Intentional Expression

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  2. Involuntary Muscle Spasm

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Dude, I Have Parkinson’s You D!ck, and Don’t Say “Spazz”

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

Must you apply vibrato to every frikin’ note? Are you really feelin’ It and putting soulful emotion into your sustained notes, or are you just finger banging them out of sheer habit?

One of the great things about YouTube is picking things up from other players, and I’ve learned so many valuable techniques and licks from random posters...But one thing I’ve noticed about a bunch of intermediate players, and one that has made me re-examine my own playing, is this seeming inability to refrain from wiggling the hell outta every note in this spastic 16th+ note vibrato.

So in an effort to grow as a human being and a guitar player, I’m really trying to make a conscious effort to cut that sh!t out...or at least limit the behavior.

The band I’m in now plays some really down-tempo songs that has made me even more aware of it in myself, so I kinda made a mental note to either slow that stuff down or only do it like, every other time, and I think it has improved the way I sound.

How about you guys? Are you really expressing yourself, or are you spazzing?

2. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

I can’t guarantee it will last, but mostly my vibrato is intentional on a few notes here and there. It might be related to playing a double bass for four years before I got a real guitar.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  3. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

It always kinda depends on the song and how much I've had to drink.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  4. sergiodeblanc

Do you think your classical playing helps with that too?

Does your vibrato speed up or slow down when drinking?

ScottR, bodia and ElrytNamrogo like this.
  5. ElrytNamrogo

ElrytNamrogo My name be scrambled

Hmmmmm....probably speeds up. But it also becomes more expressive and dramatic with deeper and wilder dives. I'd venture to say I get a little more aggressive with the tremolo when I've been drinking. Very rarely does it come across as "tasteful".

Alnus Rubra and sergiodeblanc like this.
  6. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

WHOZ GOT TIME FOR VIBRATO WHEN YOU'RE ROCKIN' THE TWO HANDED TAPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! weedly, weedly, weedly!!!!!!!!!!!

7. veinbuster

veinbuster Freeze zone

Perhaps, but I really did not started playing classical guitar after I lost access to a double bass and wanted to keep my sight reading skills up.

Thinking about it: yes. Playing classical keeps me honest on vibrato. It just sounds silly and out of tune to willy nilly wiggle the strings on the classical.

Even on a steel acoustic I don’t vibrato very much. Maybe a Sus4 I’m stretching out, but not much.

I’ve been playing some SRV recently, and I like this vibrato use. He plays a bunch of notes and then puts a wide vibrato on 3 of 5. Then starts a new line. I feel BB King is like that, but a lot fewer notes: 3 notes, sing, 5 notes, sing, big fat vibrato. He’s probably who I was trying to emulate when I developed my vibrato.

#7 veinbuster, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    bodia, ScottR and sergiodeblanc like this.
  8. sergiodeblanc

My nylon string has helped tremendously with my vibrato abstinence, you’re right, there’s just no way to make bending notes sound cool with them. Besides, the farthest I can bend a note on one is like, barely even a semitone before my forearm bursts into flames.

9. Rev. Johnny Love

Rev. Johnny Love New Member

My old guitar teacher always preached " vibrato on all sustained notes ". It's kind of stuck with me through the years. i don't feel it's excessive, but I guess it depends on what you are playing...

10. walrus

walrus New Member

It depends on the song, but I love to inflict some vibrato!

And so does Paul Gilbert:

Alnus Rubra likes this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I had a student call me out on the use of vibrato once.
    Student: “Kerry, why do you always trail those notes with vibrato” (he really said “shake the note”)
    Me: “does it sound bad?”
    Student: “no, but why?”
    Me: “here, I’ll play that same part with zero vibrato. How’s it sound?”
    Student: “boring, I guess”
    Me: “now with...”
    Student: “it sounds more like you know what you’re doing, making it more interesting”
    Me: “there ya have it”

Vibrato...impress your friends, get chicks, be the cool guy with a guitar.

12. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

I never realized how much vibrato I use. Just watched a video back, and it's like 80% of every sustained note.

I like to think it's more of a subtle vibrato though, I've seen some guys who just shake it like a Polaroid. :D

sergiodeblanc and bodia like this.
  13. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

In my head I’m thinking subtle.

My hands are telling me “spazz”

14. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Giggle

bodia likes this.
  15. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

I guess so, but I usually prefer to not compare myself to other players who are better or worse than myself. My feeling is, as others have already said, is to use vibrato (or vibrato bend) on sustained notes that are a means to an end. Anything that helps deliver whatever message I might be trying to send. IOW, I don't want to send the wrong message and have that result in something you didn't "order" originally. "Order" is typically something that creates a desirable product, usually exactly what happens with me when I am sitting at home with my feet up and the mailman rings my doorbell.

Vibrato is a technique that creates something that is desirable to the ear (doesn't "tickle" your ear, just creates something desirable). My concern is that placing too much emphasis on things that don't have a lot of meaning IRL is just searching for ways to entertain an audience with empty words. I prefer to speak or play something that has more of a direct correlation that doesn't debate issues, yet will open people's eyes to what is being said or played.

Drunk posting or playing often leads to ordering something that forces you to sit and wait for whatever answer or item you requested. How do I know? Ever watch someone who's had a little too much to drink in one night try to answer a question himself? Run away...

16. markd21

markd21 New Member

I tend to use wide vibrato at the end of phrases. I use a lot of microtonal bends more often. I'm not a big fan of using vibrato on every note. Another thing I hate, pretty much more than any other guitarist thing, is this new pulling the guitar neck while playing chords. GRRRR....

17. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Like all spices, they’re best in moderation, but if you like parsley that much, pour it on! Free country.

Black Plaid likes this.
  18. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

There is a guy (view Buck & Evans on YT) who does use the neck pulling technique quite well. And he's a darn good player, so don't dismiss this technique too quickly...

19. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Sure. Next thing you'll be mentioning is parsnips.

20. markd21

markd21 New Member

I've seen it done well. There's just a lot of marginal players around my area that have started doing it WAY too much - like on every chord!!!

Alnus Rubra and sergiodeblanc like this.