Very confused about my future and what I want to do when I grow up

I will say that I don't know a single person that follows their interests\passions 100%.

I’ve got a buddy who is an airline pilot. It’s the only thing that he wanted to do, from childhood on. He’d never be happy doing anything else.

I’m an attorney, but I work in the schools. I spend my time renting out basketball courts and putting together community events. I love it. Never would have imagined how satisfying it would be to see people using my buildings in great ways. I’ve got 19 buildings, so there’s never a dull moment. Balance is tough!

Hi everyone, I am posting about my future and what I want to do and what is put on the table for me.

To start off, I am presented with currently 4 options for me at the moment as a sophomore in High school.

Color me skeptical. Asking strangers on the internet, rather than close trusted family members and friends, is, well, "curious."

Years ago in another forum, a friend from a foreign country told me that after graduating high school, you worked for 3 years before entering college. The reasons: One, you saved some money for college. Two, you got an idea what it's like to work and hopefully to see the field you were interested in. Three, to give you a chance to grow up some before deciding on a career. The last time I saw the statistic, 59% of college students have changed their major prior to graduating. Of those who don't graduate, the percentage was even higher, many times because when confronted with adding several years more college due to the change, they simply bailed on college.

So, if 60% of 18-23 year old college students have changed their minds on their career path, I'm really confused as to why a 15 year old (?) would feel they need to decide now. I'm further curious as to what in the world makes you choose the 4 options you chose, and then think they are the only ones.

If you really are 15, it's OK to think you need to start preparing for your future. But thinking you actually need to make that decision now is ludicrous. Asking strangers, who know nothing about your skills, prospects, or any other aspect of your life, to help you make it... well... "curious." :)

I vote for #3. Play guitar and/or play around with guitars on the side. Perhaps that degree and your experience with guitars will lead to you becoming a guitar builder. Or perhaps your aspirations will change, but you'll have the degree behind you.

I'm really confused as to why a 15 year old (?) would feel they need to decide now. I'm further curious as to what in the world makes you choose the 4 options you chose, and then think they are the only ones.

I think maybe 15 now is different from when some of us were that age. Kids often don't get cut much slack these days if they don't appear to be laser focused and 'on track' -even at 15. My parents mostly had no idea what I did, where I went or who I was with and didn't want to know. These days many kids lives are micro-managed hour by hour by their parents. They often don't get to make the mistakes I did, and maybe that's for the better...I don't know. It's a different world.

Kids get an amazing amount of pressure. Not just from their parents, either. What’s your plan? What colleges have you been accepted to? Ten years from now, when you’re 25, will you be a VP of a Fortune 500 firm? This other guy did that... And you’d better be able to graduate in four years, otherwise your life will be swallowed by debt that you’ll never, never pay back.

It’s nasty stuff. Kids need time. Young adults need time. Life is to be enjoyed, not fretted over all the time.

Kids get an amazing amount of pressure. Not just from their parents, either. What’s your plan? What colleges have you been accepted to? Ten years from now, when you’re 25, will you be a VP of a Fortune 500 firm? This other guy did that... And you’d better be able to graduate in four years, otherwise your life will be swallowed by debt that you’ll never, never pay back.

It’s nasty stuff. Kids need time. Young adults need time. Life is to be enjoyed, not fretted over all the time.
Well currently my main focus is school but I am starting to build guitars. I drew up some schematics this week during school about the guitar I would want to build and basically, its a semi hollow and I have to route out a chunk of the body to where there is a hollow chamber, put supports in on the walls (which go across the bottom of the hollowed part) with a sloping shape on each end and then a straight part going across. Then I will glue a top on. Along with that and my other guitar kit I am excited to build my first body from the ground up.

It's too soon to decide what to do in the future. Simple as that. There's no rush to decide.

For those who diss music schools, BTW, I know music school grads who are doing well, my son among them. Some of it depends on the school, some of it depends on your talent, and some of it depends on your work ethic and ability to work well with other people. But that's a topic for later on down the road.

I've made a good living in music for the past 30 years, and left a law practice to do it. I didn't suffer.

It's too soon to decide what to do in the future. Simple as that. There's no rush to decide.

For those who diss music schools, BTW, I know music school grads who are doing well, my son among them. Some of it depends on the school, some of it depends on your talent, and some of it depends on your work ethic and ability to work well with other people. But that's a topic for later on down the road.

I've made a good living in music for the past 30 years, and left a law practice to do it. I didn't suffer.

This /\

My feelings exactly. If one wishes to make it in this world, and survive school and college and what's required of a structured learning environment, a good work ethic is necessary.

Otherwise, you go through life being "needy."

In need of a good education, actually. IF you get the job after the fact, you had better have a good work ethic.

Just realize that many learn to balance work and play with their friends and families. After you've put in the hours at work, your play time is designed so you can feel refreshed and wanting to go back to work again. Learn to work hard and be balanced. Don't overdo it in either respect, and you'll thank me later.

(Thanks to Les for being a good voice of reason to listen to...)

Hi everyone, I am posting about my future and what I want to do and what is put on the table for me.

To start off, I am presented with currently 4 options for me at the moment as a sophomore in High school.

1. Religious life
  2. Music school
  3. Engineering/computer Science
  4. building guitars, becoming a tech or working at PRS.
As you can see, I am very confused. I have been giving thought to contacting Paul personally asking for advice about my future. You see, I really want to work at PRS and build guitars, but I want to also do a lot of other things, and those things could fetch me a very good salary.

I am currently 15 years old and I am mainly focusing on school. But what do I do after? I like guitars and I want to build them. I could go to music school and get a music degree and possibly teach. I could go to a luthiery school and work from there at PRS or just become and engineer.

Now Paul is my biggest inspiration. He started something so great and I would love to carry his legacy on. I've been told to contact him for advice, but I am confused on what to contact him about? Like I want to build guitars, but there are so many different things I love doing.

What would seem like a good path for me? And would it be worth contacting Paul asking for advice?
Um..You do know you can do all of those things right..?

Get your engineering degree. That will allow you to understand how things work and go together. Once that is done you can use that to get a job at a guitar repair shop. If you have an engineering degree that will put you at the head of the line over other potential employees wanting the same job. It will mean you can be taught any job the employer has. Not many stupid people have engineering degrees, if any. Work at the repair shop and see if that is what you really want to do. As Mr. Spock once said “sometimes wanting something is better than having it” or words to that effect. Remember if you love what you do then you never work a day in your life. Good luck.

spock was a science officer not an engineer you bonehead.
Hey dumb a$$ Spock being a science officer has nothing to do with the wisdom he is spouting. You obviously don’t have an engineering degree.

Last edited:
Back