Very confused about my future and what I want to do when I grow up

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
Hi everyone, I am posting about my future and what I want to do and what is put on the table for me.

To start off, I am presented with currently 4 options for me at the moment as a sophomore in High school.

1. Religious life
  2. Music school
  3. Engineering/computer Science
  4. building guitars, becoming a tech or working at PRS.
As you can see, I am very confused. I have been giving thought to contacting Paul personally asking for advice about my future. You see, I really want to work at PRS and build guitars, but I want to also do a lot of other things, and those things could fetch me a very good salary.

I am currently 15 years old and I am mainly focusing on school. But what do I do after? I like guitars and I want to build them. I could go to music school and get a music degree and possibly teach. I could go to a luthiery school and work from there at PRS or just become and engineer.

Now Paul is my biggest inspiration. He started something so great and I would love to carry his legacy on. I've been told to contact him for advice, but I am confused on what to contact him about? Like I want to build guitars, but there are so many different things I love doing.

What would seem like a good path for me? And would it be worth contacting Paul asking for advice?

Watch a few videos of Guthrie Goven playing, and scratch #2 off of your list...
Guthrie is one of my idols. I love the way he plays. And besides, I would most likely go to music school for an education either in jazz or composition.

Number 3 is a solid choice. Those skills will always be in demand.
That being said, passion for a particular thing you LOVE to do can be a winning formula if you stick to it.
Well my passion is wanting to build guitars. I'm working on my kit today. I would want to go to luthiery school but it doesn't seem practical to me.

If you want to build, I would say no. You would do better to look into Roberto- Venn School of Luthiery. There's another school in Minnesota that is very highly regarded. The name escapes me. My luthier went to Roberto- Venn after getting his college degree.

If you want to build, I would say no. You would do better to look into Roberto- Venn School of Luthiery. There's another school in Minnesota that is very highly regarded. The name escapes me. My luthier went to Roberto- Venn after getting his college degree.
Well I also live in Maryland, and I could maybe talk to PRS and see what they could recommend.

My luthier is in Baltimore, even though I'm in the DC area. He is Phil Jacoby of Philtone Music. IF he's not crazy busy, he would talk to you.

I would recommend the Engineering / Computer science , depending on your interests as you progress thru school being able to program a CNC machine or work in CAD etc will help you if you decide to pursue a career at PRS , THEN get a minor in Music or luthiery school during the summers or intern with a guitar repair shop.

I would recommend the Engineering / Computer science , depending on your interests as you progress thru school being able to program a CNC machine or work in CAD etc will help you if you decide to pursue a career at PRS , THEN get a minor in Music or luthiery school during the summers or intern with a guitar repair shop.
I would love to learn something like CAD or programming for CNC because that's how PRS does their body carves. I was thinking that my plan is to get a real degree first, preferably in programming or computer science and then go to luthiery school

Whatever you decide, try not to go into debt to do it. You have way more freedom to go your own path when you don’t have a monthly payment to worry about.

You have guidance counselors at your school who can help you with vocational discernment. Check in with them.

I recommend you not shoot for a specific job, but a general skill set and knowledge base that will allow you to be flexible in working wherever you find yourself.

Last edited:
A guy I used to know went to music school in New York City, and he has a bachelors degree. He owes $180,000 for his schooling and he can’t afford to buy a house because of that bill. Oh, he works at a bakery/coffee shop as a waiter and he’s 30 years old. The mortgage company probably doesn’t like that, either. He’s is very smart, with a great personality, and he is an amazing classical guitarist. He teaches a few students part time. But he does not have any money.

Anyway, I met him at a local luthier school where we learned how to build acoustics from scratch. I took those classes every Tuesday night for four hours, 6-10 pm, and it was really fun.

My point is, that his degree did nothing for him. He said he would need to get his doctorate to teach at a good music college, which would be another loan. If you are going to spend money on school, try to major in something that will help you find a good career. So, I vote for number 3 but I encourage you to find a luthier school that has part time classes that you can take on the side. Set up a good reality while you also try to chase your dreams on the side.

Where I work, the computer guy makes more money than anyone else there. I heard him negotiate his salary with the owner through my office wall, and that’s what the owner said. $120,000 a year. That’s good money. That’s Private Stock money.

Good luck, young man. You will figure it all out. It’s good that you are thinking about this so early.

Last edited:
It’s a good thing to be thinking about, but your conclusion today probably doesn’t matter. What you think two years from now will matter more, but still doesn’t have to be the final answer.

Whatever you start doing after you graduate from high school doesn’t have to be a life sentence. You can try making or fixing guitars for a while and if doesn’t satisfy you, you can do something else. As noted above, just take care about building up an insurmountable debt trying something that is wrong for you.

Back