Versatility and value in PRS

Anachronism

Bassist with a guitar habit
A persistent knock on PRS guitars is that they are "dentist" or "lawyer" guitars, too expensive and too pretty for working musicians. If there was every any truth to this, the SE and S2 lines should have put it to rest. In particular, the S2 guitars are priced in the same range as competing American-made instruments. And if the Core lineup is then considered against premium offerings from other manufacturers, it holds up well with regard to price and quality.
But I think that PRS guitars are undervalued in another way, which is their versatility. Has any other major manufacturer tried as consistently or as successfully to create guitars that cover as much ground as PRS instruments do? Mr. Smith seems to be dedicated to perfecting instruments that can do it all, or at least come close. The efforts to incorporate coil splits, coil taps and piezo systems seem more persistent and successful at PRS than at any major competitor, with the result that one PRS guitar can often take the place of two or three guitars from competitors.
Perhaps I'm biased by a current PRS stable of a 513 and a P22, but it seems to me that a good response to the "dentist guitar" jibe is that, in addition to the more affordable SE and S2 lines, PRS would rather sell customers one or two amazing and versatile guitars than a half-dozen more limited guitars. A working musician might be better off with a 509 or a Paul's guitar or a Custom 24-08 than with the minimum of 3 guitars traditionalists would insist on buying from other companies.

I just saw Opeth live, and both guitarists used nothing but piezo-equipped PRSi all set. They went thru a bunch of different metal tones, clean electric, and acoustic sounds. The only reason they would swap out guitars was for tuning, and amazingly an actual broken string!

Sadly, my dentist doesn’t have a PRS, or even play guitar!

He and I have been lifelong friends, and our wives are friends, but we have very little in common, except That we seem to share my wallet.

None of my doctors have PRSes, or play guitar. This is another sad fact.

I have a law degree, but went into the music business full time 30 years ago, so I suppose I’m 3/4 professional musician.

So this whole “doctor, dentist, lawyer” meme just isn’t working out for me. :(

Sadly, my dentist doesn’t have a PRS, or even play guitar!

He and I have been lifelong friends, and our wives are friends, but we have very little in common, except That we seem to share my wallet.

None of my doctors have PRSes, or play guitar. This is another sad fact.

I have a law degree, but went into the music business full time 30 years ago, so I suppose I’m 3/4 professional musician.

So this whole “doctor, dentist, lawyer” meme just isn’t working out for me. :(
thats so weird cuz my uncle is a lawyer and he also dosnt play guitar. Les i think you're onto something here

thats so weird cuz my uncle is a lawyer and he also dosnt play guitar. Les i think you're onto something here

Right?

Most of the PRS players I know of are actually pretty good musicians, day jobs notwithstanding (it seems you can be both an astronaut and a cowboy!).

I was once very concerned about this inappropriate doctor-dentist-lawyer-PRS meme, but I decided it was some other person’s issue, not mine, so I let go of it.

Really, there’s no end to this stuff. There are bigger things to worry about.

My Dr plays bass, so obviously he's already a little strange to begin with, then add in the fact that he plays a fender not a prs. While we were talking music one day, he had the audacity to ask if I wanted to borrow it! Me play a common fender bass? Noooooo. I really need to find a new doc... :D

Same here regards doctors, dentists, lawyers.

None of the professional office practices that are part of my health or legal connections play guitar. Perhaps it is because they are too wrapped up in their work and can't manage enough time to play guitar, forget about finding time in their schedules to enjoy life away from their work.

Considering a LOT of Session guitarists use PRS guitars because they are versatile, stable and reliable, I think that most of the 'jibes' come from those who cannot afford a 'Core' PRS - even used. It has to be to think that only those professions that are known to pay well are those that can afford to buy a PRS - yet they are cheaper than a Gibson R9 for example. I saved and saved and saved to afford my guitars. I cannot go out and buy a new guitar every month or two - certainly not if I want a PRS.

Most Dr's, Dentists, Lawyers etc don't have time to play guitar and certainly wouldn't have spent time practicing instead of studying for years to get the qualifications necessary for those jobs! Yes they can look good on a wall but I think they are more likely to buy a used/relic guitar to look like they actually played the instruments!!

I've seen used P22s with very low prices.
I don't understand: it's an incredible guitar. A perfect two humbuckers axe, with 5 great tones, plus an incredible acoustic sound.
I've bought one recently, and I'm amazed.

I've sold a Telecaster Professional and bougth a Vela, wich is incredibly better playing and sounding: I've a better guitar with less money.

But hey, keep buying your Gib*** and Fen**** guitars and leave me alone with my PRSes.

I actually have a friend who is an ophthalmologist and a pretty damn good gigging guitarist. In his nearing-100 collection are a few PRSi and they have recently pushed his custom axes back into their cases. Last time I went to see his band, he had two PRS guitars on stage and nothing else. If that’s cliche, it’s also killer... a real, practicing doctor playing a PRS in a real, gigging rock band.

the surgin’ generals?

I actually have a friend who is an ophthalmologist and a pretty damn good gigging guitarist. In his nearing-100 collection are a few PRSi and they have recently pushed his custom axes back into their cases. Last time I went to see his band, he had two PRS guitars on stage and nothing else. If that’s cliche, it’s also killer... a real, practicing doctor playing a PRS in a real, gigging rock band.

The other guitarist in my band is a lawyer and he plays the typical Fs and GLPs....he recently obtained a sweet silver burst Explorer. He can't stand the necks on my PRSi. Well, at least the wide thins on the CU24 and CE24. He does like the necks on the DGT and McCarty though. But he won't budge on his preference for Fs and Gs.

FWIW, I hold the title of electrical engineer and work in the field.

Back