Versatility and value in PRS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anachronism, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Anachronism

Anachronism New Member

A persistent knock on PRS guitars is that they are "dentist" or "lawyer" guitars, too expensive and too pretty for working musicians. If there was every any truth to this, the SE and S2 lines should have put it to rest. In particular, the S2 guitars are priced in the same range as competing American-made instruments. And if the Core lineup is then considered against premium offerings from other manufacturers, it holds up well with regard to price and quality.
    But I think that PRS guitars are undervalued in another way, which is their versatility. Has any other major manufacturer tried as consistently or as successfully to create guitars that cover as much ground as PRS instruments do? Mr. Smith seems to be dedicated to perfecting instruments that can do it all, or at least come close. The efforts to incorporate coil splits, coil taps and piezo systems seem more persistent and successful at PRS than at any major competitor, with the result that one PRS guitar can often take the place of two or three guitars from competitors.
    Perhaps I'm biased by a current PRS stable of a 513 and a P22, but it seems to me that a good response to the "dentist guitar" jibe is that, in addition to the more affordable SE and S2 lines, PRS would rather sell customers one or two amazing and versatile guitars than a half-dozen more limited guitars. A working musician might be better off with a 509 or a Paul's guitar or a Custom 24-08 than with the minimum of 3 guitars traditionalists would insist on buying from other companies.

2. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy Stares at bright lights

why not a dozen or more versatile guitars, ya know... just to be sure...

dogrocketp, Boogie, danktat and 7 others like this.
  3. Ovibos

Ovibos Unsure why all necks aren't rosewood

I just saw Opeth live, and both guitarists used nothing but piezo-equipped PRSi all set. They went thru a bunch of different metal tones, clean electric, and acoustic sounds. The only reason they would swap out guitars was for tuning, and amazingly an actual broken string!

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Sadly, my dentist doesn’t have a PRS, or even play guitar!

He and I have been lifelong friends, and our wives are friends, but we have very little in common, except That we seem to share my wallet.

None of my doctors have PRSes, or play guitar. This is another sad fact.

I have a law degree, but went into the music business full time 30 years ago, so I suppose I’m 3/4 professional musician.

So this whole “doctor, dentist, lawyer” meme just isn’t working out for me. :(

dogrocketp, 22Top, Egads and 10 others like this.
  5. Ryan Murphy

thats so weird cuz my uncle is a lawyer and he also dosnt play guitar. Les i think you're onto something here

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Right?

Most of the PRS players I know of are actually pretty good musicians, day jobs notwithstanding (it seems you can be both an astronaut and a cowboy!).

I was once very concerned about this inappropriate doctor-dentist-lawyer-PRS meme, but I decided it was some other person’s issue, not mine, so I let go of it.

Really, there’s no end to this stuff. There are bigger things to worry about.

vchizzle, RickP, Ryan Murphy and 3 others like this.
  7. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

In order for me to keep my PRS guitars I had to move out of my house and into a Holiday Inn Express. It's the only way I could meet the Dr/Dentist/Lawyer criteria.

8. Lister

Lister Playing guitar badly since the 70's...

My Dr plays bass, so obviously he's already a little strange to begin with, then add in the fact that he plays a fender not a prs. While we were talking music one day, he had the audacity to ask if I wanted to borrow it! Me play a common fender bass? Noooooo. I really need to find a new doc... :D

9. andy474x

andy474x Knows the Drill

I don’t hear much of the “dentist and lawyer” chatter much anymore.

Which is good... because I happen to be the former. I don’t let the criticism bother me though... I actually use mine!

10. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open - Eared

Same here regards doctors, dentists, lawyers.

None of the professional office practices that are part of my health or legal connections play guitar. Perhaps it is because they are too wrapped up in their work and can't manage enough time to play guitar, forget about finding time in their schedules to enjoy life away from their work.

RickP and Ryan Murphy like this.
  11. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

Considering a LOT of Session guitarists use PRS guitars because they are versatile, stable and reliable, I think that most of the 'jibes' come from those who cannot afford a 'Core' PRS - even used. It has to be to think that only those professions that are known to pay well are those that can afford to buy a PRS - yet they are cheaper than a Gibson R9 for example. I saved and saved and saved to afford my guitars. I cannot go out and buy a new guitar every month or two - certainly not if I want a PRS.

Most Dr's, Dentists, Lawyers etc don't have time to play guitar and certainly wouldn't have spent time practicing instead of studying for years to get the qualifications necessary for those jobs! Yes they can look good on a wall but I think they are more likely to buy a used/relic guitar to look like they actually played the instruments!!

RickP and Ryan Murphy like this.
  12. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

13. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Finally! The proof of the fallacy.

[​IMG]

#13 11top, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    dogrocketp, bodia, RickP and 2 others like this.
  14. Ryan Murphy

Thats some heavy duty dental floss

Alnus Rubra and bodia like this.
  15. zoddo7

zoddo7 New Member

I've seen used P22s with very low prices.
    I don't understand: it's an incredible guitar. A perfect two humbuckers axe, with 5 great tones, plus an incredible acoustic sound.
    I've bought one recently, and I'm amazed.

I've sold a Telecaster Professional and bougth a Vela, wich is incredibly better playing and sounding: I've a better guitar with less money.

But hey, keep buying your Gib*** and Fen**** guitars and leave me alone with my PRSes.

dogrocketp likes this.
  16. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

duh i come here to meet dentists and see dog pics.

17. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

I actually have a friend who is an ophthalmologist and a pretty damn good gigging guitarist. In his nearing-100 collection are a few PRSi and they have recently pushed his custom axes back into their cases. Last time I went to see his band, he had two PRS guitars on stage and nothing else. If that’s cliche, it’s also killer... a real, practicing doctor playing a PRS in a real, gigging rock band.

18. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

the surgin’ generals?

19. BMiller

BMiller New Member

The other guitarist in my band is a lawyer and he plays the typical Fs and GLPs....he recently obtained a sweet silver burst Explorer. He can't stand the necks on my PRSi. Well, at least the wide thins on the CU24 and CE24. He does like the necks on the DGT and McCarty though. But he won't budge on his preference for Fs and Gs.

FWIW, I hold the title of electrical engineer and work in the field.

20. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Fixed!

Black Plaid, dogrocketp and bodia like this.