Verification of Left Handed PRS

Qikshift

The Lefty Horror
Hello!

This is my first post here. I recently bought on Reverb a 04 Custom 22 10 top in Angry Larry finish. Now I immediately bought it as lefty PRS are hard to come buy from the core line up. I’m asking here if it’s legit. I realized that while everything looked good to me, it may not be good for others who are more familiar with the brand. Hoping it is a legitimate one! Thanks guys!!

PS: I know there are finish blemishes. I plan on sending it to the PTC to have it touched up (not a refinish) in the future.

PPS: Apologize for the links to photos, it won’t let me embed them here

Other than the strap buttons, it looks legit to me.
He didn’t mention they were changed. Here is his description:

2004 PRS Custom 22, one of a limited run of lefties made in 03-04. 10 top quilt. Wide thin neck carve, Dragon 2 pickups, bird inlays, gold hardware, upgraded PRS intonatable wrap bridge (original wrap bridge included), locking tuners. The color is Angry Larry, a deep burgundy color named for a PRS quality control manager who, as legend has it, would turn this shade when he found flaws in the guitars. The guitar plays perfectly and sounds great, it is cosmetically in good shape, I would describe it as a "player" guitar with a few minor chips in the finish, some surface scratches and general play wear. Gold hardware is a bit worn as you would expect on an 18 year old guitar. The quilt top has a nice fat pattern to it, but the finish is dark so it comes off much more subtly than some of the brighter colors. Actually would be a great candidate for a refinish as it's some choice quilt. These guitars are very expensive now so good chance to get one at a reasonable price and not worry about gigging with it. Original black hardshell case with some wear to it -- a tear or two in the tolex. Apologies for the poor photos, these guitars are incredibly reflective and hard to photograph.

Lovely guitar!

Being from 2004, the I'd guess the color is actually "Raspberry." Angry Larry, to my knowledge, was introduced for the 25th anniversary in 2010.

Also forgot to mention it supposed comes with all case candy and has the hang tags still. That should determine the finish (Raspberry or Angry Larry)

Yeah, agreed, it's impossible to find lefties... :D

EeYweoS.jpg

Yeah, agreed, it's impossible to find lefties... :D

EeYweoS.jpg
Idk where this is. Only place that I’ve seen on reverb that carries lefties are Ish Guitars and it’s a limited wood library run with artist tops (which were too pricy for me as a first PRS)

We can’t hate on Doug because of his smoking PRS collection. I could be a prisoner in that dungeon any day, Rueben! The Larry in question is Larry Urie, now retired. He was the National sales and marketing manager at PRS for a number of years. He and Matteo Eriza were friends and used to tease each other. He suggested to Matty that he use his own name for Eriza green and Matteo blue. One day Matty showed him the red color and said that he wanted to name it for Larry who has a very ruddy complexion. They did. So that was the story according to Larry, who after a year of retirement sitting at home decided he wanted to go back to work. He sold guitars at Washington Music Center in Maryland and recently re-retired. I bought my S2 Studio from him. He was a nice guy.

Last edited:
Ha! C'mon man, it's not a "dungeon", it's a "chamber of guitar goodness"!! :D

We can’t hate on Doug because of his smoking PRS collection. I could be a prisoner in that dungeon any day, Rueben! The Larry in question is Larry Urie, now retired. He was the National sales and marketing manager at PRS for a number of years. He and Matteo Eriza were friends and used to tease each other. He suggested to Matty that he use his own name for Eriza green and Matteo blue. One day Matty showed him the red color and said that he wanted to name it for Larry who has a very ruddy complexion. They did. So that was the story according to Larry, who after a year of retirement sitting at home decided he wanted to go back to work. He sold guitars at Washington Music Center in Maryland and recently re-retired. I bought my S2 Studio from him. He was a nice guy.

No hate intended, Doug is a home improvement god. His amp cabs are the b@llocks too!

I too would happily be locked in there, especially as there is an entertainment “dungeon” too ;)

Ha, sorry, that was mean!! That's my PRS collection, the third from the left is my avatar... :D
Don’t apologize as I didn’t take it as rude. I’m just frustrated as a lefty and if I’m honest stayed away from PRS for that reason. But I’m happy to be part of the family. I did contact PRS and got some verified information!

From Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# 4 83807 is an authentic 2004 Custom 22 Lefty, with a Quilted Maple top, Mahogany neck with a Wide-Thin profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, Straight stoptail bridge, Dragon II treble and bass pickups, finished in Raspberry, with gold hardware. This is a CORE model.

The pickups and color were likely chosen by the dealer that originally purchased the guitar.

The PTC does not offer 'ding' repair. It could be refinished; however, we do not have a prediction as to when we will be offering full re-finish services again.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your continued support of PRS.

From Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# 4 83807 is an authentic 2004 Custom 22 Lefty, with a Quilted Maple top, Mahogany neck with a Wide-Thin profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, Straight stoptail bridge, Dragon II treble and bass pickups, finished in Raspberry, with gold hardware. This is a CORE model.

The pickups and color were likely chosen by the dealer that originally purchased the guitar.

The PTC does not offer 'ding' repair. It could be refinished; however, we do not have a prediction as to when we will be offering full re-finish services again.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your continued support of PRS.
Hate to tell you we told you so, BUT…:p:D

Good for you doing your homework / research!

Back