Veneer tops on SE guitars

Correct. S2s are “better” but “plainer”.

"Better" as in the source of the wood? Watching the video SEs go through a source, drying, and prep process mimicking Maryland. What I piece together the S2 maple top is 12-13mm. The SEs range from 11.5/12-13.5 including the .5mm veneer. So They are relatively the same thickness.

Last edited:
Love the veneer on my SE Santana...

w7DRmrH.jpg

Here's 3 versions of a flamed maple top:
1. Left - PRS SE Custom 22, with a wood veneer (thin, but real wood)
2. Middle - MIJ '62RI Strat, with a "Fotoflame" finish. Actually a photo of a flame maple top, that is then wrapped around the body. Pretty cool, but not the real deal.
3. Right - PRS McCarty - the real deal. Thick maple cap.

They all look good in a smokey bar ;) (and even up close!)

IlzHTfC.jpg

Often really nice woods are used for making veneers. If they were solid, they'd likely be Private Stock grade.

While not always the case, veneers can certainly be cut from incredible lumber. When Carl Booth used to own one of the leading veneer companies (think outfitting Air Force One), I was told a story about a single European log they purchased and were shipping back to their southern Indiana plant. Unfortunately, it was lost at sea in a storm. The good news? It was insured by Lloyds for its cost, $800,000.

I went thru around 30 prs se guitars in the recent years. Only one of 10 has good veneer figuring that is uniform at more or less wide angles. These got used for stock photos and sent to YouTube reviews who all rave about how stunning they are and praising prs consistency. The remaining guitars look much worse: often the seams are not centered or not at right angle, most veneers are looking half figured, half plain. But ones that look even on both sides and most angles do exist, but really hard to find. If you ask a store to take some pictures and pick a guitar that looks uniform (not half-plain), they pretend they do not understand you and say that all prs se look like this.

I’m talking about only stock in Europe. Maybe US is getting all veneers perfect.

I went thru around 30 prs se guitars in the recent years. Only one of 10 has good veneer figuring that is uniform at more or less wide angles. These got used for stock photos and sent to YouTube reviews who all rave about how stunning they are and praising prs consistency. The remaining guitars look much worse: often the seams are not centered or not at right angle, most veneers are looking half figured, half plain. But ones that look even on both sides and most angles do exist, but really hard to find. If you ask a store to take some pictures and pick a guitar that looks uniform (not half-plain), they pretend they do not understand you and say that all prs se look like this.

I’m talking about only stock in Europe. Maybe US is getting all veneers perfect.
They aren't that difficult to find. When Sweetwater showcases their inventory, you usually get one great flame veneer vs 3 that are either mediocre or poor. Sometimes it's 2 and 2. But, not so rare you need to wait for poor inventory to be purchased and replaced before choosing one.

Unless, my standards are low and you consider the veneer in my avatar, mediocre to poor.

I’m in UK, you don’t get pictures, and sellers refuse to open “factory fresh” guitars to avoid “devaluing them”. So i have to buy blindly and return. Yes, this is how sustainable green approach looks like.

Re your avatar: i managed to get evenly figured HB2pezo only after trying 14 guitars. Last 5 were in the same store, thanks god.

I’m in UK, you don’t get pictures, and sellers refuse to open “factory fresh” guitars to avoid “devaluing them”. So i have to buy blindly and return. Yes, this is how sustainable green approach looks like.
Next time, I believe Peach guitars in the UK gives weights, serial numbers, and pictures.

I’m
Next time, I believe Peach guitars in the UK gives weights, serial numbers, and pictures.
Yeah, except for guitars on sale (like it was for hb2piezo) they do not photo “for economical reasons”. My first 5 guitars of 14 were from peach until i gave up and started to order multiple guitars to view in store (andertons). Now i have the same situition with SE 594 signlecut. 5 already sent back. I just pray god for shops to start taking pictures of guitars they sell to eliminate at least non-centered center seams, don’t even hope for pictures showing different angles.

How did they play and sound though? I've found looks aren't everything especially my first SE CU 24. Looked like a million bucks but sounded like a wet rag through jello. That one was returned, and I played before I bought it (the beauty was blinding)

If my priorities were sound and feel, i would not come to PRS, but chose a tele or a real lp any day, even in their cheapest, but still american versions. I come to PRS SE for nice looks like on plus top gibson les pauls that i cannot afford.

Unless, my standards are low and you consider the veneer in my avatar, mediocre to poor.
OK, now I'm crushed. In comparing avatars, YOUR mediocre to poor is waaaay better than my mediocre to poor. :(

If the ground wasn't frozen I'd go sit in the garden and eat worms...:D:D:D

Back