Veneer tops on SE guitars

Darren A Vance

I have a question, I heard that the flame maple on my se, was probably a printed veneer. Is this true?

Guitar shop, I'd hate to think it was printed on, thought maybe cm thick but still hoping real wood.

If the grain moves around and fades in and out as it catches and reflects the light then it's a proper veneer, the PRS's are that's why the bookmatching isn't always perfectly symetrical. When they slice the wood the grain is pressed in opposite directions when flipped for bookmatching. So each side catches the light differently so not uniform and one side often looks faded in photos till you rotate the guitar to a different angle.

Like this photo of mine below, if I moved the camera to the left the left side would start to look more defined and the right more hazed.

DSC_2628_S.jpg

Here's the exact same guitar lit more carefully with proper more even lighting setup.

S00759B.jpg

Last edited:
There is a Factory tour video that demonstrates the veneer process, look up PRS SE factory tour and they explain it pretty well.."it's a time honored art"

I'd post the link but this stupid fire tablet won't let me. I love my SE Santana veneer.

Some se veneer looks lot better than the one on the S2 models, including mine

I don’t think S2’s have a veneer. It should be a solid maple
cap, just not as figured as the CE’s and Core guitars. The top on my S2 Custom 24 has a lot of figuring in it, if you get it at the right angle. Otherwise it’s a pretty plain looking top.

I don’t think S2’s have a veneer. It should be a solid maple
cap, just not as figured as the CE’s and Core guitars. The top on my S2 Custom 24 has a lot of figuring in it, if you get it at the right angle. Otherwise it’s a pretty plain looking top.
Correct. S2s are “better” but “plainer”.

Back