Vela with Core "violin carve"?

Would a violin carve Core Vela be amazing?

• Yes - Take my money!!

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No - the Vela is the Vela

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Maybe - I would need to see it.

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

hord1080

Has there ever been a Vela with the typical Core violin carve? I feel like the Private Stocks I have seen still have the S2 carve - I have no problem with that but as a secret Vela fan I always wondered how this would look. Would it be unreal amazing, or maybe not? Would PRS do this if you paid enough? Thoughts? In general, I think if I was going to buy a Vela I would like one with birds but they are rare (wow the reclaimed SH is sweet) - hopefully PRS makes more runs with bird inlays at least. An official Core Vela would also be a cool option.

Last edited:
Please leave our sweet sweet beautiful Vela alone! I also prefer the dots, perfect how you are.. Dots work better with the Vela vibe for me.
I agree 100% with this. I just picked up a Semi Hollow Satin in white. I was skeptical of all the glowing reviews and also unsure about it not having birds. I think I like more because it doesn't have birds as weird as that sounds. Love love love this guitar.

I only recently realized they don’t do the half moon inlays anymore….so sad….

Please leave our sweet sweet beautiful Vela alone! I also prefer the dots, perfect how you are.. Dots work better with the Vela vibe for me.
I also agree 100%. The Vela is my favorite current model PRS precisely because of its stripped-down, subtle, classic vibe. Fancy carves, super flamey tops, and bird inlays just don’t fit what the Vela is supposed to be imho. It’s not that kind of a guitar.

This is a hard no for me.

A violin carve would completely destroy the ergonomics of the Vela
or any other wonderfully beveled PRS S2 guitar for that matter.

The violin carve is the reason I do not own even a single core PRS guitar.

I have played core PRS guitars.
They have nice necks, good frets and excellent sound
but that edge...

Nope.

Now that they stopped making S2 and Core Starlas, if they put a Bigsby as an option on the Vela, I would have a very hard time resisting purchasing one. No Bigsby is the reason I went with the Starla.

Now that they stopped making S2 and Core Starlas, if they put a Bigsby as an option on the Vela, I would have a very hard time resisting purchasing one. No Bigsby is the reason I went with the Starla.

A big part of the Velas magical tone is in the bridge...it'd be a very different beast with a Bigsby.

Then again, I may just be saying that because I freaking hate Bigsbys.

Velas are cool. I like leaving the option for birds to the dealers. Like it use to be when they first released. Otherwise no change to that carve. Maybe upgrade the wiring to core. That would be cool. I feel the s2 switches is always a weak point

Nice thoughts everyone. Thought that would be a fun discussion.

I do lament just the white dots. I am not a fan of white plastic on a PRS (dots, white birds on CE) but that is just me - why not the moon inlays instead? That would be what I would change. I was just curious more than anything about what a core carve would look like.

Back