Vela with a trem

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by CJA76, Jun 1, 2018.

1. CJA76

CJA76 New Member

I am considering buying a Vela soon and would like to get an estimate on how much it would cost to swap the bridge it comes with for a S2 Molded Tremolo. I know the bridge itself is up to $199, how much would the actual mod cost?

Thanks

2. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I am wondering if a S2 Studio might be interesting to you.

3. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

What did the PTC say when you asked them?

4. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

Agree the S2 Studio is the way to go unless you just gotta have the offset body or if you just gotta have something non-standard.

http://www.prsguitars.com/electrics/s2/s2_studio

5. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Player

Will cost more than the guitar.

Eddie kim and Bill SAS 513 like this.
  6. CJA76

CJA76 New Member

I like everything else about the Vela, including the body shape, just want a trem.

7. Eddie kim

Eddie kim New Member

Buy the s2 Vela VR. Comes standard with a trem.

guitargeek62 likes this.
  8. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Good idea unless the regular Vela pups are desired.

9. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

I would love a Vela with prs trem. The VR does not interest me at all.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  10. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

It would be significantly cheaper and easier to buy the S2 standard 22, have someone like Pickguardian make you a pickguard with holes for a standard humbucker in the bridge and a mini-humbucker in the neck, then source the pickups used. G&B G128 C neck, G&B G116-1 GS bridge is my best guess on those part numbers. PRS could have them custom make some too.

gush likes this.
  11. CJA76

CJA76 New Member

The Vela VR is awesome, and I’m a big Vernon Reid fan, but I really don’t want a Floyd Rose. I like the trem on my Core Custom 24, so a Vela with a similar trem is fine. I’m also fine with the pickups the S2 Vela comes with.

12. JJJ

JJJ asleep

eww floyd rose

You are talking about the S2 vela right? the hardtail with the brass saddles?

Fitting a vintage style trem would be hugely invasive and expensive. Have you considered a top loading one like a bigsby, ala the Starla? Otherwise why not do without the body shape and buy the s2 22 or something that already has the trem - it would be cheaper to buy a starla pickup and put it in the bridge

13. Blake Rice

Blake Rice New Member

Hey thought I'd share my take on the Vela with Trem. I installed a non-fine tuner Floyd Rose original awhile back and have been loving it. The install was too complex for me, so I farmed it out to a friend who has more experience than I. He did an amazing job for a reasonable price too. It took this already awesome guitar and made it absolutely perfect for me. [​IMG]

Egads, Eddie kim, RickP and 5 others like this.
  14. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

I'm not a fan of anything Floyd Rose related, but those are some pretty cool mods! Like the knobs too. What did you do with the stock stuff?

15. Blake Rice

Blake Rice New Member

I still have all the stock stuff! Pickguard and wiring are tucked away somewhere on/in my bench. I might put that Type D single coil in the neck of a tele to see what happens. And I still have the stock bridge although it can't be reinstalled. As far as the Floyd goes, this one is definitely not your typical floyd in sound or feel. It's more like a cross between a more vintage style trem and a Floyd. It's much lower profile than the original floyds since the fine tuners aren't there, but it still locks at the bridge end which helps it to remain incredibly stable and expressive, while still sounding incredible! The tonal change from the stock bridge was quite miniscule, I had installed the pickups and wiring before doing the bridge so I was really able to compare. It honestly gained a bit more sustain, and it tightened up the low end which I like. So I have no complaints about the bridge

16. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Player

I need more pictures! I'm in love with what I see!

17. d^rren

d^rren New Member

Wow, that is fantastic, and has me seriously thinking about a Vela and adding the NFT Floyd and locking tuners.

Are those Luminlay knobs?

18. Blake Rice

Blake Rice New Member

Yes they are Luminlay knobs! When I bought the new potentiometers, I realized the Stock PRS knobs wouldn't fit. Plus I have trouble gripping the when using push-pull functions. So I got the Luminlay's off ebay. I don't so much need the glow in the dark feature, but having numbers on a knurled knob is nice

19. d^rren

d^rren New Member

Really great job. I’d love to see more pics, front and back. It looks like your friend did a great job on the trem install. Did you go full H-H on the pickguard? Who fabricated it for you?

20. Nexlevel

Nexlevel New Member

Cool. More pics please to show how the trem was installed.

Mike Duncan likes this.