Vela S2 Semi Hollow Pick Up Ideas?

ShawnF1222

I love the Vela semi hollow played clean, but once I add OD, it gets mushy. I was thinking that I'd prefer a solid body Vela. So before I loose my ass on selling it, I wanted to see if anyone has changed out the pick ups and if you have, what are you using?

I really love the Vela and the playability. I have a Starla S2 with a Bigsby and I think that sounds great clean and with OD. That's why I thought that I'd like the Vela solid body better.

I had plans on putting a TV Jones Powertron bridge humbucker and a Lollar Firebird pickup in the neck of my Vela. I’m not 100% certain that the neck pickup would fit but I think so. I ended up selling the guitar so it didn’t happen but I think it would be cool combo.

Before making a change, reach over to your amp and turn down the bass. ;) The Starla pup is awesome, especially if you dial-in your amp to suit it. If you’re shooting for vintage PAF, it won’t do it, but on its own, it cuts in the mix and takes to almost any amp with EQ adjustments. Try altering pup height, too. I dropped mine down considerably and left my amp/pedal gain like I would for a PAF and it roared.

Before making a change, reach over to your amp and turn down the bass. ;) The Starla pup is awesome, especially if you dial-in your amp to suit it. If you’re shooting for vintage PAF, it won’t do it, but on its own, it cuts in the mix and takes to almost any amp with EQ adjustments. Try altering pup height, too. I dropped mine down considerably and left my amp/pedal gain like I would for a PAF and it roared.

Thank you, I'll try that. The amp is set fairly neutral and I use pedals. I have an RC clean boost pedal with bass and treble early in my chain. It allows me to tweak depending on which guitar and what pick ups I am using. I'll try that first.

Railhammers... can't recommend them enough!

OD1KtJr.jpg

9p7sqJA.jpg

That’s my experience as well.. I do have a Klone clone in the line up which tightens up the sound

OP I just traded my semi hollow in for a solid Vela...I had a Dimarzio something that came used in a semi Vela but yeah...mush with gain....right now I'm keeping the stock pups in my new solid Vela they're not too bad and bright!!

OP I just traded my semi hollow in for a solid Vela...I had a Dimarzio something that came used in a semi Vela but yeah...mush with gain....right now I'm keeping the stock pups in my new solid Vela they're not too bad and bright!!
I also have a semi vela I think the neck pickup is sweet but hate the humbucker, gonna replace it.

I’ve tried a few different bridges. Seems like I always come back to the stock. I have a power’tron in now but not committed to it. Lost some of that chimeness. The tv Jones reminds me of the 59/09. I’ve also played with some Fralin modern PAF but it overpowered the neck. I have other pickups I’m going to try. It only takes all of 20 mins to give it a whirl and see.

I had plans on putting a TV Jones Powertron bridge humbucker and a Lollar Firebird pickup in the neck of my Vela. I’m not 100% certain that the neck pickup would fit but I think so. I ended up selling the guitar so it didn’t happen but I think it would be cool combo.
I have a Power’Tron bridge and a K-line Firebird neck in mine, great combo.

Back