Vela - optimum string height?

stevenew

A couple of weeks ago I got my pre ordered Vela Reclaimed Semi Hollow. This is the first USA PRS that I have bought new and thus came factory setup. I love the sound and finish, it's a great guitar but I find the factory set action a little height: low E is 5/64" high E just over 4/64". I find this a bit tight and more effort for my ageing arthritic left hand:)

I usually have most of my electrics set 4/64" across all strings, my Hollowbody II (bought used) is setup like this. So I decided to lower the Vela action to 4/64" across all strings, it played easier but I couldn't believe how different the tone was, much thinner and indistinct. I have taken it back to the factory string heights and the tone is back!

Wow talk about sweet spot, has anyone else found this?
Can 1/64" really make that much difference?
Are PRS guitars more fussy about string height than other guitars?
Am I just imagining all this:)

I am now tempted to to raise the action on my Hollowbody and see what happens.

I have a feeling if you lowered your pickups you would probably still have that sweet spot.

I've found prs pickups are very sensitive to small adjustments.

I had a CE that had an uneven trem. When I leveled it the tone changed a bunch.

I did measure the pickup height before changing the string height and then lowered the pickups minutely to get the same distance. Perhaps I should have dropped them further? I didn't want to make any drastic changes so I could get it back to factory easily. I didn't adjust the truss rod as there seemed no need.

Prs guitars are really the first guitars that I've spent a lot of time adjusting pickups. I don't remember other brands being so sensitive to pickup adjustments.

Dragon 1s that I have in one guitar have an incredible range of tones available just from height adjustments.

Just remember pickups will come off of the screws if you adjust them down too far. Not a huge deal just a pita

Thanks for the replies.

I may give it another go and this time drop the pickups a little more, but I did have them the same distance from the pole pieces to bottom of the strings as they were in the factory setup. I am measuring all these settings with a small ruler with 64ths marked on it. I can play it with the factory setup it is just more tiring on my fingers. I have to say I have done similar height adjustments on my non PRS guitars and never noticed such a big difference in tone with such a small measurement.

Edit: An important thing I forgot to mention was the difference in the unplugged acoustic sound, my partner commented on how it sounded tinny after the action was lowered. So I guess that could mean the lower action is not allowing the strings to vibrate as much? So perhaps the relief does need tweaking? Still can't believe 1/64" could make such a difference!

Last edited:
What gauge strings are you using? On my Vela, I use 9.5's for my 62 year old hands! I also had to tweak the truss rod a bit, to add just a touch of fretboard relief. Once I got the action where I wanted, I then adjusted the pickups. It took me a few band practice sessions to get it right, but in the last 2 years, I haven't had to make any further adjustments. It's a very resonant guitar, and very stable like all my other PRSi...I guess my advice would be to work with it for a while, and use your eyes and ears. In my case, they are always more accurate than a ruler...ymmv, of course. It's like what the old recipe says; "follow directions, but season to taste"...
I need to add that mine in not a semi hollow, but it is barely 6 lbs...and all light weight guitars take a bit of work, trial and error, and patience to dial in correctly...but it's worth it! Best of luck to you!

I'm using 10-46 currently, mainly as that was stock. I have used 9-42 on my Hollowbody much easier to play than 10s but prefer the tone with 10's. I use 9's on my Tele. I have never tried 9.5's, I guess I should:) Always a compromise of playability vs tone when your fingers are ageing. I always measure everything on a new guitar so I can get back to factory setup and start again. When its a guitar I know well, I just use my ears and feel. I'm going to give it another go this afternoon, lower the action and this time loosen the truss rod a touch to give a little more relief. If no luck I will take it back to factory again and try some 9.5's.

Thanks for all the help.

Everyone is different, so my preferences are probably not applicable for anyone else. But, on my RL Vela, I prefer the stock 10s and the factory setup. The pickup height allows for great variance in touch dynamics and guitar volume/tone changes, so I haven’t messed with it. I’ve learned to leave well enough alone! One change can upset the apple cart.

Some guitars like a lower stringheight and some higher.Then you have your righthand technique to consider.My personal setup is 5/64 on all strings measuring at 12th fret from top of fret to bottom of the string.Relief is .010.Thats My starting point.If im not really happy with the tone i try to dial in the trussrod first til i find the relief where i dont hear too much fret in the sound and Where the strings still feels snappy and bendable.A F major barre chord must feel easy to finger plus Paranoid played at 12th fret on E and A strings shouldnt sound all fretbuzz.Its a sweetspot for sure and its very personal.Trust your ears stevenew.

Last edited:
I set the Vela up again on Saturday afternoon. Kept the 10-46 strings, 4/64 string height across all strings, very slight truss rod adjustment to give a fraction more relief and lowered the pickups barely 1/8 of a turn. 2 days later it is still playing much easier for me, less pressure needed in fretting means less arthritic jolts in my finger joints:) The tone is 90% as it was with factory setup, you guys were right about the pickups being sensitive, amazing that just a 1/8 turn changes the tone. I would say it is the most setup sensitive guitar I have. More so than my Hollowbody, or perhaps I have always been too bold with my adjustments on it, maybe time to revisit it with subtle adjustments.

Thanks for all the advice, I wonder how long it will be before I start tweaking it again:)

I suspect the tweaking started back up before I typed this reply.

I will go to my grave insisting that PRSi (including the Korean ones) respond more to small changes than any other brand that I've played in my 50 + years of spankin the plank. They also respond more to touch when playing than any other brand these old hands have touched.

I will go to my grave insisting that PRSi (including the Korean ones) respond more to small changes than any other brand that I've played in my 50 + years of spankin the plank. They also respond more to touch when playing than any other brand these old hands have touched.

Totally agree!

I’ve been looking all over for the Vela’s factory setup specs but I can’t find it anywhere. Stevenew where did you find 5/64??

I’ve been looking all over for the Vela’s factory setup specs but I can’t find it anywhere. Stevenew where did you find 5/64??

I bought my Vela Reclaimed New, the shop I bought from said they thought the setup out the box was perfect so they did not touch it. So I presume it came direct from the factory setup with the action set at low E 5/64" and high E just over 4/64". I still have mine at 4/64" across all strings with the pickups set just a fraction lower than they were out of the box.

I bought my Vela Reclaimed New, the shop I bought from said they thought the setup out the box was perfect so they did not touch it. So I presume it came direct from the factory setup with the action set at low E 5/64" and high E just over 4/64". I still have mine at 4/64" across all strings with the pickups set just a fraction lower than they were out of the box.
Gotcha, thanks Steve. I too bought the reclaimed timber, semi-hollow Vela. Sounds very good, however, I feel like my strings are just a tab high for my preference. I might do exactly what you've done.

Gotcha, thanks Steve. I too bought the reclaimed timber, semi-hollow Vela. Sounds very good, however, I feel like my strings are just a tab high for my preference. I might do exactly what you've done.
From my limited experience of PRS guitars with untouched factory setups, the Velas do seem to be setup with actions just a fraction higher than say Core Custom 24/22 or some of the SE range.

Whenever I get a new guitar I always measure the action, relief and pickup heights, so when I start tweaking I can always take it back to how it was when I got it.

Yes the Vela Reclaimed are very nice guitars and pretty unique with their own sound. I am still not sure if I like the 'regular' neck shape or not, I thought I was going to love it as I used to find 'wide fat' a bit too fat but now I have changed my mind and starting prefer the 'wide fat' again:)

I set the Vela up again on Saturday afternoon. Kept the 10-46 strings, 4/64 string height across all strings, very slight truss rod adjustment to give a fraction more relief and lowered the pickups barely 1/8 of a turn. 2 days later it is still playing much easier for me, less pressure needed in fretting means less arthritic jolts in my finger joints:) The tone is 90% as it was with factory setup, you guys were right about the pickups being sensitive, amazing that just a 1/8 turn changes the tone. I would say it is the most setup sensitive guitar I have. More so than my Hollowbody, or perhaps I have always been too bold with my adjustments on it, maybe time to revisit it with subtle adjustments.

Thanks for all the advice, I wonder how long it will be before I start tweaking it again:)

Hey Steve, any chance you could post the your measurements from strings to pickups?

Hey Steve, any chance you could post the your measurements from strings to pickups?
Fretting the last fret on the low and high E strings: Neck Pickup: 6/64" on both low & high E. Bridge pickup: 7/64" on low E, 6/64" on high E.

This was the same distance when I got the guitar, so after I lowered the action, I lowered the pickups very slightly to maintain the same distance. You may need to adjust the truss rod after lowering the action but it will need no more than a 1/8 of a turn if that.

I have to say this was the first guitar I have bought new where I thought the pickup height was about right, I find most are set too high for my taste:) I must I know a lot people set their action and pickup height by feel & ears, I used to do that too and to a certain extent still do, but making all those initial measurements before you change anything does allow you to go back to where you began and start again! In fact I have to say I am tempted to try going back to factory setup again and see what I think...

Back